Hopper as a standalone receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dkimmel

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2006
I'm thinking of switching to Dish Network. I spoke to a rep at Dish and was told for my setup, (5 HDTV's), I'd need 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys. My question is, can I take that second Hopper with me when I go camping and hook it up to another Dish Network satellite dish so I can have satellite TV while I am on the road? I already know that they make a specific unit for doing this but I am only asking about the Hopper. If I can do this, is the a particular satellite dish that I'd need to purchase? Thanks.

I believe you could do that. You would need either a 1000.2 (western arc) or 1000.4 (eastern arc) dish and the node that goes between the dish and the receiver.

Thanks TheKrell for the info. Obviously I am new to Dish Network and I'm relying on the advise that I get here to make this switch. What determines which of the two antennas that you've mentioned, between both the 1000.2 (western arc) or 1000.4 (eastern arc) dish? Is it my geographical location? Also by node, is this, (DISH Network 185834 Solo Node For Hopper/Joey), the one that you'd be talking about? This is really the only thing that is keeping me from making a commitment to Dish Network. I really don't want to make the switch unless this is possible.

Yes; you are put on Eastern Arc or Western Arc depending upon your geographic location. If you don't care about your locals on spotbeam, you could pick either arc at your convenience. Some people say the 1000.2 is easier to point, but there is also now a 2-LNB 1000.2 (61.5 and 72.7 only) for Eastern Arc, so that might be a good solution for you as well.

Also, you got the right part number for the node that goes between the dish and the Hopper. BTW - the solo node requires two cables from the dish.

My location is western Pennsylvania and I would want to be able to pick up HD programming. Which model lnb setup do you think would best work for me? Thanks again. This place provides a wealth of and quick reply of information.

You can get all the national channels on either arc. The question of the hour is, "Do you care about getting your locals while on the road?" If you do, then you need to tell us which DMA in western PA you want to get because the answer changes depending on that answer.

Pittsburgh is on both arcs, and at least for now (probably until Echostar 16 is launched) still on conus on 61.5. This means you could get an Eastern Arc dish and watch Pittsburgh locals anywhere you travel within the continental US. On the other hand, the Johnstown/Altoona DMA is only on 129 (Western Arc) and only on a spotbeam transponder.

All clear now? ;)

Depends on where in Western PA you refer to, Pittsburgh and farther west should be good for either EA or WA, going east will start making WA (actually the 129 sat location which has most of the HD programing on it) harder to get in. Of course it is a good idea to have both setups just in case you run into line of sight issues.

Thanks again and yes, I believe so. I would be wanting to pick up the locals from the Pittsburgh area. Eastern reads like the way to go.

I am also interested in traveling with one of my hoppers. I am in the Detroit area and will be RVing in Florida with one hopper and one Joey. Which dish should I purchase to use for this setup (1000.2 or 1000.4) and will I be able to get my locals? thanks

Also will my Detroit locals be available in Florida?
Very unlikely. Locals are on "spotbeams" now, i.e. a focused spot or location where they are aimed and can be picked up. They generally cover a much bigger area than the city and/or metro area, but 1000+ miles ? No way...

OK, well, having never aligned either a 1000.2, nor a 1000.4, I can't state definitively that one is easier to align than another. But I have read others claim the 1000.2 was easier.

The new EA LNB for the 1000.2 is designed to receive 61.5 and 72.7, but not 77.

OK, well, having never aligned either a 1000.2, nor a 1000.4, I can't state definitively that one is easier to align than another. But I have read others claim the 1000.2 was easier.

The new EA LNB for the 1000.2 is designed to receive 61.5 and 72.7, but not 77.

Put the address where you'll be RVing into DishPointer.com. Overlay the address of your approximate location into Dishpointer. That'll give you a better idea of if you need the Eastern Arc LNB to the Southeast or the Western Arc LNB to the Southwest. You may also look up an address of a local retailer there or look up some Dish guys putting out ads on Craigslist for side work pointing dishes. If might be worth it to pay someone $20 to spend five minutes pointing the dish versus you buying a meter and possibly spending a lot longer trying to do it yourself.

Last edited:
I agree with having both an EA and WA setup. The 1000.2 sets up easily, but the 1000.4 isn't much harder and it can be fine tuned for optimal signal much easier. Lastly the larger reflector size of the .4 doesn't hurt either. Both WA and EA lnbs exist for both dishes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)