Hopper Bug - No audio on SD channels

voripteth

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
Aurora, IL
I've noticed that Hopper will lose audio on all SD channels. It's happened 4 times so far with no pattern that I can detect. I don't usually watch SD so I usually discover it when I go to play a recorded SD program. When the Hopper is in that state, live SD programs have no audio either. I tried changing the audio settings from PCM/Dolby with no effect. A reset of the Hopper does fix the issue but that isn't convenient since it interrupts recording in progress. My hopper is running 217 although this was seen on earlier versions as well.

Please reply if you have seen this issue so we can feed that information back to Dish.
Thanks!

I am using that receiver. It's a bit disconcerting to see 40+ views and no one else having the problem.

I can change the channel to a HD program and I get sound, and then a SD and silence. After finding a dozen different SD channels all silent I figured it must be all of them. Rebooting the Hopper fixes the problem so I doubt it's a problem with the Pioneer.

I have a Pioneer receiver that has the same problem with SD programming. Cycling through the inputs on the receiver, then back to "tv" fixes the problem for me...

I've tried changing channels and that doesn't fix it for me. I'll try switching inputs and power cycling the receiver. Thanks for the replies!

For what it's worth, I'm having the same problem. Just got the Hopper about a month ago. A "red switch" reboot corrects the problem temporarily but returns later. I'm also using the Pioneer receiver, but this looks like a bug with the Hopper itself. This DOESN'T happen on the Joey.

If I am tuned into a an SD channel and then watch a dvr'd event, I lose audio on the SD channel if I stop the playback and go back to the DVR screen (doesn't happen if I hit the "live tv" button on the remote) and only on the Joey. Sounds like a digital handshake type issue between the TV and the Joey to me. If I change channel to an HD channel (but not and SD channel) audio returns.

It is a Pioneer receiver issue with the HDMI connection. I had this problem even with my 622 before switching to the Hopper. It can work fine for days and then all of a sudden no sound on SD channels. Like someone else said, cycle through the inputs on the pioneer until you get back to what input you were set on and your sound will be back. This can even happen on SD recordings from the DVR. Just cycle through inputs and sound will be back.

Just had this issue come up with my Hopper-Denon receiver-Sony TV. Did a red button reset. The situation was not resolved. It also starting occuring with my blu-ray player, so I'm thinking it's a receiver issue.

The Joey was fine before and after the reset.

I have the same issue. I've only had my hopper for about 4 days and noticed it in the evening of the install. At first i got it to go away by rebooting the hopper with the power plug. But now that sometimes doesn't work. So then i noticed that if i unplugged the HDMI plug and then replugged, it would go away. But that isn't always succesful either but it seems to work after repeated attempts. I read something after a google search that said someone got a better HDMI cable and the problem was fixed. I tried 3 different HDMI cables and they all had problems. I then tried different HDMI ports on my TV and that didn't help. I need to try my other TV the next time it fails.

See my first post above.

OK. So i hooked up my other TV and it works fine. On the first TV no audio on SD channel and without changing the Hopper i connect the HDMI cable to the 2nd TV and audio works fine. The main difference between the TVs is that the 2nd TV is newer. So my guess is that the older TV a phillips from about 4.5 years ago has some older version of the HDMI protocol encoded which has found a problem with the hopper. The older tv has the latest firmware upgrade which is likewise old now. If i use the component cables there is no problem with audio. I doubt Dish will ever fix this.

Mine is a little different. I will switch to a channel and there will be no sound. I can by on Netflix or DVR and it may occur. So far the only fix is to exit the channel and find a channel that is working and retry the original. if it is still dead, then reboot the hopper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)