Hopper cannot see 5ghz wifi bands

japierce

Original poster
Jul 20, 2020
NJ
Hi everyone,

I have a netgear rax200 triband wifi6 (ax) router.

I tried connecting my hopper with sling receiver to it via wireless. However it only sees the 2.4ghz band, not the two additional 5 ghz bands the router puts out. Every other device in my house can see and connect to either 5ghz band.

On the router, the 2.4ghz channel is set to auto while the 5ghz bands are set to 64 and 128 (dfs channels). Could this be the culprit?

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.

Jeff

Reactions: medvyed
I don't know about the channel issue, but is it possible that the router is locked to channels wider than the Hopper supports, or locked to "ax" or "ac"? I believe the Hopper is only "n".

My H3 sees my 5G network and the 2.4G network, both with WPA2 security (Netgear Nighthawk R6400 wireless router). I also see a neighbor's 5G network with open security (tisk, tisk).

My H3 sees my 5G network and the 2.4G network, both with WPA2 security (Netgear Nighthawk R6400 wireless router). I also see a neighbor's 5G network with open security (tisk, tisk).

Interesting. I was just looking at this myself when I was having major buffering streaming some Amazon Prime through my H3. I noticed that like the OP my H3 only sees the 2.4Ghz signals in my house as well as the neighbors. I wonder why your H3 sees your 5Ghz and mine does not.

I got mad and started streaming through the Amazon Prime app directly on my TV and have to say it was night and day better PQ on the TV app with zero buffering.

You may want to check and see if your cable modem/router may be one that Hoppers have issues with. I was having all kinds of internet connectivity issues with my H3, I finally connected my Arris cable modem by ethernet and reserved all of the Dish IP addresses in the setup so that they would not be affected by DHCP. My H3 could connect to both 2.4 and 5 Ghz wifi but the modem had issues with the Hopper. The ethernet connection and reserved IP addresses made my connectivity issues go away.

Reactions: HipKat and TheKrell
You may want to check and see if your cable modem/router may be one that Hoppers have issues with. I was having all kinds of internet connectivity issues with my H3, I finally connected my Arris cable modem by ethernet and reserved all of the Dish IP addresses in the setup so that they would not be affected by DHCP. My H3 could connect to both 2.4 and 5 Ghz wifi but the modem had issues with the Hopper. The ethernet connection and reserved IP addresses made my connectivity issues go away.
I have AT&T fiber so have their modem/router/wifi monstrosity in the house. Do you know where this list of problematic devices is located?

OK, I've been playing with my settings on the router. As I mentioned, I own a Netgear RAX wifi6 router (AX).

It indeed was the channels I was using for the two 5GHz bands. I was using the higher DFS channels for those two bands. As soon as I changed them to non DFS channels, the hopper saw them again. I have an older hopper with sling, so I was afraid the ax technology would be the culprit.

Amazingly, my hopper can see the ax signal, but cannot see DFS channels. All good now, my streaming is stutter free and blazing fast.

I have 1Gig fiber coming into the router, and it's putting out almost 650 Mbps on the 5GHz channels from one floor below.

Dudleydog73 check your channels on the router. If my older hopper can see them, your H3 should be able to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)