Hopper coming on Tuesday!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Thrashman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
Pennsylvania
Got a 1h/3j install scheduled for Tuesday. Can't wait to check it out. I've got a network switch ordered from newegg.com to make sure the hopper is always connected to the Internet.
I was wondering about a couple of things:
How many different programs/TVs can you watch at one time?
Does each Joey come with its own remote?
Does anybody know if you can transfer guide and timer settings from a 922 to a hopper?

Thanks

Also got it for a $25.00 upgrade fee instead of 100.00, And got $10.00 taken off per month, after I complained about the $7.00/Joey receiver fee

The Hopper has 3 tuners which will allow you to watch 3 separate live shows in 3 tv locations as long as none of the tuners are being used to record a program at that time. With those 1st 3 rooms watching live tv at the same time, when the 4th tv is turned on they will see a screen that list what's being watched on all 3 of those other 3 rooms and will be able to select to join one of the live tuners basically becoming a mirror of one of the 3 or can select to watch something previously recorded to DVR or watch ON Demand, or Prime Time Anytime recordings (if it's enabled). Each Hopper and Joey comes with it's own remote. As far as transferring your guide and timer setting from 922 remote I would suggest Having it ready when the Hopper boots up to the initial setup screen. Ask the technician to press the sat button on your 922 remote and synchronize it to the Hopper instead of the new one out of the box. That way it already has your settings in it.

dfwdish said:
The Hopper has 3 tuners which will allow you to watch 3 separate live shows in 3 tv locations as long as none of the tuners are being used to record a program at that time. With those 1st 3 rooms watching live tv at the same time, when the 4th tv is turned on they will see a screen that list what's being watched on all 3 of those other 3 rooms and will be able to select to join one of the live tuners basically becoming a mirror of one of the 3 or can select to watch something previously recorded to DVR or watch ON Demand, or Prime Time Anytime recordings (if it's enabled). Each Hopper and Joey comes with it's own remote. As far as transferring your guide and timer setting from 922 remote I would suggest Having it ready when the Hopper boots up to the initial setup screen. Ask the technician to press the sat button on your 922 remote and synchronize it to the Hopper instead of the new one out of the box. That way it already has your settings in it.

It was my understanding that there was no way to transfer information from a 922 remote to the Hopper.

Also, depending on your household viewing habits, you may want to strongly consider getting two Hoppers instead of just one.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Thanks guys. I'm going to try to restore settings using the system wizard on the hopper,if it's the same as the 922. Also it looks like you can transfer existing recordings by hooking the 922 to the hopper. I don't currently use an EHD.

Also I think i'm too cheap to have 2 hoppers. What's the advantage? More tuners?

Thrashman said:
Thanks guys. I'm going to try to restore settings using the system wizard on the hopper,if it's the same as the 922. Also it looks like you can transfer existing recordings by hooking the 922 to the hopper. I don't currently use an EHD.

Also I think i'm too cheap to have 2 hoppers. What's the advantage? More tuners?

6 live tuners instead of three to share across your four tv locations. Redundancy in case a hopper crashes, you will still access to programing via the second hopper.

and the second Hopper costs you the same monthly charge as the Joey, $7.... It just costs you more up front for the receiver....

Yeah that's cool that it's only 7bux. Now if I could get it 4 free lol.
Why do you pay for something you give back anyway?

What they don't make enough money off of my monthly bill? I'm mot complaining. I'm getting it for next to nothing. I just don't really get it. The fee is almost like a connivence tax. You aren't paying for the DVR if you can't keep it.

6 live tuners instead of three to share across your four tv locations. Redundancy in case a hopper crashes, you will still access to programing via the second hopper.

Agree with the above, two hoppers will help in eliminating live tv conflicts. The two hooper/one Joey set up I have is great

Last edited:
We will see how it works out. My kids are young so they don't watch tv in their room much yet. Just in the kitchen. I'll try to report back later.

I agree with everyone who call for 2 Hoppers. I'm leery of having a system which has more receivers than tuners, especially if you have a multi person household.

I have 11 tuners total with D (HR-34 and 3 HR-24's - don't need 11 but two HR-24's were free when replacing regular HD receivers) and am scheduled for a 2H/2J install August 10th. Should I possibly look at 3H/1J? Or do I have to buy the 3rd H outright?

I have 11 tuners total with D (HR-34 and 3 HR-24's - don't need 11 but two HR-24's were free when replacing regular HD receivers) and am scheduled for a 2H/2J install August 10th. Should I possibly look at 3H/1J? Or do I have to buy the 3rd H outright?

You have to buy the third Hopper. For four viewing locations 2H/2J is probably going to be fine, but only you know your viewing/recording habits. You could view four live programs and have two recording tuners. If Big4 viewing is part of your mix, a single PTA tuner would eliminate all those conflicts.

I don't think I would start with three Hoppers. Since it has to be purchased anyway, you can always add it later if 2 Hoppers are not getting the job done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)