Hopper Commercial

I agree, but I don't know how you explain PTAT in a short ad. The cure is for the sales centers to explain that a bit.

Of course, the ad is misleading in the same sense that 'up to...' that another sat provider ran seemingly forever. :)
You simply focus on the Prime Time Anytime. Within that you state during this time all of the programs from the 4 major networks will automatically be recorded and you can still choose to record 2 other programs at the same time.

View attachment 75442

I think they do a nice job here explaining

Ad from our Sunday paper this morning

I still find that misleading and what about markets missing some locals or no HD locals at all. I know if I wasn't a member here and saw that I would be hooked. The installer would come and hook everything up. I would want to test that right away due to the tech in me. When it didn't work he would be taking the equipment back with him. Other customers of course would find out later and it might be too late. Then you would have an upset customer spreading the word to all their friends and family how horrible that Dish is.

How many commercials are not misleading. There are a lot of products out there that we are not as familiar about and we see their ads and believe what they say. When we have questions about that product we ask others if they know more about it or go to that company to find out more. That's what ads are suppose to do. We are just biased on here because we already know about all there is about the product.

I do the marketing for our business also and I find the commercials odd but humorous but at the same time I think they work. I think everyone here is missing what the point of this ad campaign is about. It's about making brand awareness. The ad is not selling the product. The ad is getting the name into people's heads so they will call Dish or a reatailer and inquire about it. From there it is Dish and the retailers jobs to sell the product and make sure the customers are not mislead.

I find nothing wrong with these commercials other than being a liitle off the wall.

Dishsub,

As far as name recognition, I would have to agree.

As far as selling the product, it did nothing to separate them from any other provider. I would be willing to bet that many people already thought Dish had a whole home system because everyone else already did. The most they go out of this commercial is the name of their whole home system.

The other message they got is that it can record six shows at once. I think people will be a little disappointed when they find out that statement was a little misleading. By making such a statement, most people will probably think that they will be able to record any six shows on any six channels at any time, or record 5 and watch a separate show.

The other issue is what happens when your only DVR takes a dive? Since the Joeys are tied to the Hopper, when the Hopper crashes you lose programming in every single room. All of the other providers allow you to link other receivers/DVRs to the primary MRV DVR, not only providing additional tuners for those rooms, but also allows these receivers/DVRs to not be dependent on only one DVR.

The commercial is not designed to address your points. It was designed to put the word "Hopper" in the minds of viewers and connect it with Dish. THAT'S IT! I would expect any future commercials that may be designed to "seperate them from any other provider" to be a separation based on EMOTION, probably not the attribute you were thinking of. It is the first salvo in a CAMPAIGN. Absolute did NOTHING to "seperate them from any other maker of Vodka" much to its GREAT SUCCESS. Then we turn to Stoli's unexpected rise, and small challenge to Absolute, except that it employed the same advertising tactics of Absolute: no mention of quality or reason one is superior to the other nor attempt at separation, except for some EMOTION (revolution) compared to others.

These are NOT easy concepts in advertising for most people to grasp, and even those in advertising have an opposing view of ads that don't mention a product's relevant attributes (taste, quality, price, etc.). However, ads like the "Hopper" WORK even though we think they should not. A lot of what we think of a product is how we FEEL about it. Now, Dish hasn't started those just yet for the Hopper product, but first we have to get the word "Hopper" into the minds of the masses.

This one here is great. These are what I was talking about.
Dish hit the nail on the head with these two.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Hopper "Boston" commercial I guess you can say is sticking with people when my wife at work has been talking about the Hopper, the reply has been oh, you mean the "hawpper"

I thought the vacuum cleaner one ad was a bit lame and VERY POORLY acted and awkward. The "Doing Nothing" ad was so spot on acting and very well made. Just perfect. I still laugh at how "naughty" that ad is because we are NOT supposed to show people falling out of cars, then a driver-less car. That one really is the funniest yet. Dish is on the right track with that one.

Scherrman said:
I'm not so sure that is a national commercial. Looks like a locally made one. That remote he's using is a cable remote too.

The YouTube user name makes me think that it was a commercial produced by a Dish retailer.

We have an Australian on our team at work and so re routinely go round and round about accents... anyways when the guys were saying random words all stupid one person said 'Hawper!' and everyone else parroted it like the commercial.

..and then nobody could tell me what the Hopper was. That was all they remembered about the commercial, didn't know the brand, or what the company was that aired it.

Watching the commercial since then, they kinda mumble some information at the beginning before going into the hook, and Dish is only briefly mentioned at the end. I think the effectiveness of the spot is pretty bad as a result.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts