ViP722k DVR: 2nd TV no Display or Audio

CWB

Original poster
May 12, 2012
Pensacola
Hello, not sure what the problem is but the search function is not "functioning" with my Linux box.
What I have is a single Dish with Dual output coaxial which connects to a block.

So only 1 of those 2 coax cables are required and one is capped off at the block.
The other coax hits a 3-way splitter:
x1 - Satellite Input

x1 - Out to a combiner that splits off into 2 SAT coax connections that plug into the ViP722k. (And 1 unused Antenna connection)

x1 - Goes straight to the SD tv.

My "Close by" television is HD and uses HDMI as it's method of connectivity. (Works great)

What I was told is that my 2nd TV (SD) should show the receiver guide/video once it is set to channel 73 (Cable) as per the settings on the Installation\Modulator configuration.

Problem is my 2nd TV isn't displaying anything but snow.

I can confirm that all cabling in the house is functional RG6. (this setup was functioning via Cable TV without a hitch)

Please let me know if there was any confusion in my explanation of setup.
I really appreciate any ideas you may have to get the 2nd TV working. (Satellite guys can't get here until Monday)

Thank you!

Last edited:
Below I've linked an image of the I/O wiring.

Top single coax is a dedicated line from my ISP for cable internet. Completely separate.

Bottom Splitter is wired as followed:
Left = Output to the ViP722k Receiver
Right Top = Input from Dish/Satellite
Right Bottom = Output to TV 2 (SD)

IMG119.jpg

All cable is like new (1 year old max)
All splitters are new.

pretty simple. at your main tv pres menu 6-1-5 to go into modulator setup. verify that tv2 is indeed set to 73. if not change it. if that fails set it to 60 and put your tv2 on 60. if that fails go into your tv menu (tv 2) verify that it is set to receive the correct signal (cable vs air). do a channel scan.
if all this fails, there is a cable issue.

Is there another blue diplexer behind the receiver?
what is connected to the home distribution port of the rec?

that's why I asked
if it is a straight feed, the diplexer shouldn't be there. diplexers need to be used in pairs

not true. a diplexer without it's pair is simply a null thing, like a barrell. if the tv2 runs straight from the receiver it doesnt matter at all if there is a diplexer before that.
BUT, now that you mention something he does say that it is a straight feed AND he says it runs off the diplexer. so...who knows how it is really hooked up.

Last edited:
There is 1 Blue Diplexer that is at the beginning of the topology. (Photo 1)
Then right next to the receiver is a 4 port (1 IN\ 2 Sat Out \ 1 Antenna Out) **I'll get a picture of that too**

The 2 Sat Outs go to the receiver with a spare Antenna coax not connected to anything.

TV2 is 1 cable from the Diplexer to the TV. (Bottom right coax in the photo above)

I understand how the modulator settings work and again all cable is new and works with standard cable tv. (All RG6)
I've tried setting the Modulator config to Air\Cable different channel settings etc. no dice. (Ran TV2 channel memorize function to obtain a channel signal and manually entered it.)

It was really both mine and the installers fault for not testing TV2.
Rule of thumb, don't assume anything.

As another note, I know exactly how the homes internal cabling is routed as I installed it.
This is an old house that came wired with RG59 so I ripped all that out and ran home runs from each new wallplate back to the service entrance.

Ok here is the Triplexer:
Diplexer-Splitter.jpg
This device is in a closet right next to the receiver.
1 input from the Dish \ 2 outputs to the receiver.

A simple drawing of the topology:
Topoloy.jpg
*There are no other splitters in the house, all coax to the bedrooms run directly to the cable entrance, all dedicated home runs.
**Nothing is connected to the Home Distribution Port.

Last edited:
well, sounds like its not hooked up right then. if the diplexer's uhf port outside does in fact lead to your tv2, then its not going to work unless you run a cable line from the uhf port on the triplexer behind receiver to the uhf (tv2) port on the receiver. i thought you had said tv2 was direct from the receiver. its one or the other, either it runs from the diplexer outside or from the receiver. so, hook up the triplexer correctly to the receibver using all ports and then follow my initial steps on my first comment and it should work.

Thanks for the input.
I've tried my best to show that TV2 is plugged directly into the 1st Diplexer so if something was confusing I apologize.

So if I'm understanding this correctly I can leave the setup as is and simply (Hookup a coax from the UHF port of the Triplexer to UHF (tv2) port on the receiver" run the channel scan on TV2 and I should be functioning?

If so that seems simple enough and really hope that takes care of the issue. I'll report back as soon as I get home from work.

Again, a big Thank You to all contributors !!

Just wanted to followup with a 10-4 on TV2 functionality. Happy to report it was a simple plug and play as suggested.

Just need to order a 2nd RF remote and Ill be cooking with grease.

Thanks again and hope everyone has a nice evening. -Chris