Hopper crapping out?

techguru408

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Wondering if anyone has had the issue I am having. I searched the forums and did not see anything.

My hopper (non-sling) keeps freezing and requires a reset to fix it. I called Dish 3x so far and they tell me it will be $100 to get a new one which should fix it. I don't understand how this is my fault? The freezing appears to be random, one day you hit guide and the image goes small like the guide showing up but then blank screen and freezes. Or you hit rewind (10sec) on remote and it all goes black.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

Try turning off the HDMI-CEC feature. Press the Yellow button then HDMI-CEC. This feature has caused unresponsiveness issues.

Wondering if anyone has had the issue I am having. I searched the forums and did not see anything.

My hopper (non-sling) keeps freezing and requires a reset to fix it. I called Dish 3x so far and they tell me it will be $100 to get a new one which should fix it. I don't understand how this is my fault? The freezing appears to be random, one day you hit guide and the image goes small like the guide showing up but then blank screen and freezes. Or you hit rewind (10sec) on remote and it all goes black.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

Adding to what others have said, if it is a bad receiver, a replacement receiver will cost the following:

Purchased receiver?
Without protection plan and out of warranty, it will be $75 for the replacement plus $15 for shipping, for a total of $90
Without protection plan and IN warranty (less than 1 year old), it will be $15 for shipping
With protection plan, it will cost $0 to get a replacement receiver

Leased receiver
Without protection plan, $15 for shipping, and with protection plan, $0 for shipping.

If a tech visit is required (per the agent on the phone) that is $95 without the protection plan, and either $15 or $0 with the protection plan.

My Hopper 2000 is doing the same thing. It is very unresponsive at times. It reboots occasionally. At this moment it is showing the small window in the corner with black screen on the rest. I am wondering if it has to do with the last update. I have HDMI-CEC turned off. Until the last week or two it has worked flawlessly.

I got a replacement Hopper 2K a few days ago. For 2 consecutive nights it has frozen during PTAT hours and reset itself after a few minutes. Prior to resetting it would get very slow responding to button pushes, taking up to a minute to respond. I think I have seen similar problems with S424 software, which this one has.

Same here, Hopper can become unresponsive to any buttons, and then freeze and reboot. I didn't see this until a very recent update to software.

I've posted with the same issue. It really got worse with S424.

I tried turning off HDMI-CEC and it appears to be better... We'll see

I have the same problem. I did a tech chat last night with Dish and they could not troubleshoot the receiver. They are sending me a replacement. Hopefully it solves the issue.

I have the same problem. I did a tech chat last night with Dish and they could not troubleshoot the receiver. They are sending me a replacement. Hopefully it solves the issue.

Did a new receiver solve your problem?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

No it did not. It froze again last night while watching a DVR program from the 2nd hopper during PTAT and with the joey being used. I'm starting to think that it is the software because it didn't do this a few months ago.

My 722k was doing the same thing and you guys talked me into getting a Hopper with Sling. If I have the same problem with the Hopper, I will be very upset with Dish.

I have the same issue , recent lockups and sometimes it reboots ( this week) but none before - if i manually hard reboot it works for a while , really seems like a software issue, memory leak or some such

Is dish aware and fixing it or is it "my fault" :confused: and i need to pony up for a replacement ? Seems like replacement doesn't fix it based on above , and some think its my house, which of course i cant prove or disprove unless i move :rolleyes:- but it is only recent and only during PTAT. so me thinks software update

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)