Hopper daily reboot annoyance

It is a real pain I have to remember to select something to record to keep it from rebooting before I go to sleep, They should allow users to select a reboot time like they did on older receivers. I believe this is a major flaw in the programing.

They are supposed to be working on letting you change the update time on the Hopper. That will be nice when it comes out. :)

I would hope they are working on this having to reboot daily to begin with.

This is cosmetic surgery. We can't make our code run cleanly, so we'll let you decide when you are going to clean up our code for us is not an actual solution. Fixing whatever is causing the gross instability to not maintain uptime measured in weeks to months is.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

I don't mind that it reboots daily, though I find it silly that it needs to, but 1:30 am is just a stupid time as a default. 4:00 am would be better, if you don't let me change it to a time that works for our house.

BTW, I had a original TiVo series 2 box that went over two years without being rebooted and it never had a problem.

And a Tivo is a satellite receiver? (no, it's not)

"TiVo is essentially a small computer running the Linux operating system and therefore it will sometimes require a reboot. Rebooting a TiVo will give it a chance to re-initialize the operating system and clear all the temporary memory. It may be necessary to reboot the TiVo after system errors, long periods of usage or if the TiVo is experiencing slowdowns."

Last edited:
I modified this for Dish's DVRs....
"A Dish Network DVR is essentially a small computer running the Linux operating system and therefore it will sometimes require a reboot. Rebooting a Dish Network DVR will give it a chance to re-initialize the operating system and clear all the temporary memory. It is necessary to reboot the Dish Network DVR on a daily basis."

I fell asleep late last night and although a recording was scheduled for a little later it hung up and when I forced a reboot I only got the last 20 minutes or so of a 4AM show. When should it decide that you are not responding? It should never do that hang up. It should just go on until it can't go any more while warning you.

-Ken

Hall:

I scanned a grouping of my linux servers that manage a certain function. There are 13 of them, and they'll be virtualized this summer. Uptime was measured in months. Linux computers don't need regular rebooting, especially not on a daily basis.

Why would anybody that works with any flavor of Unix think that a daily reboot is necessary?

I wonder if Dish's engineers have been to the Microsoft school of troubleshooting where rebooting is considered course de rigueur. Unix Systems Engineers consider that the option of last resort.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

This is the Dish way to hopefully cut down on customers calling with problems, by possibly preventing them before it happens. No doubt their receivers can run more than a day without rebooting. But by doing it this way slowdowns and other problems are likely being avoided. Same rationale as the Guide not allowing you to stay on "All Channels" or in some cases on customized lists. Other options overtime have been changed or eliminated over time for the same reason.

This is the Dish way to hopefully cut down on customers calling with problems, by possibly preventing them before it happens. No doubt their receivers can run more than a day without rebooting. But by doing it this way slowdowns and other problems are likely being avoided. Same rationale as the Guide not allowing you to stay on "All Channels" or in some cases on customized lists. Other options overtime have been changed or eliminated over time for the same reason.

Sorry, I don't buy this. It's a linux system, stopping and starting services will do this, or in a worst case if there really is a problem with a kernel module it can be unloaded and reloaded on the fly. It's a real Operating System, let's treat it like it's one.

This is a *nix OS, so rebooting should not be used as a routine problem solver.

I won't change my stance on this.

You are looking at it from a computer programming standpoint. Dish is looking at it from what will cut down on customers calling with problems.

You are looking at it from a computer programming standpoint. Dish is looking at it from what will cut down on customers calling with problems.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Once you get that, you'll understand my point of view.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

How do you restart the MAIN, user-facing application gracefully ? Sure, you can restart the networking service, BT, graphics subsystem, but if that's not where the core problem lies, how do you solve it ?

It can be done handily with scripts. We can startup and shutdown reliably an application that's quite complicated involving multiple processes, services and the associated databases. The UI is neither sacred nor magic -- in the end it is a set of processes which can be managed.

Now we're back to why it would require restart on a daily basis. It should not. Software that requires daily reboots is defective.

It can be done handily with scripts. We can startup and shutdown reliably an application that's quite complicated involving multiple processes, services and the associated databases. The UI is neither sacred nor magic -- in the end it is a set of processes which can be managed.

Now we're back to why it would require restart on a daily basis. It should not. Software that requires daily reboots is defective.

While I dont have a degree in Computer Science, I have taken courses, written programs in java and have personal experience, and I agree with that statement unless someone can prove it other wise.

Hall:

Quoting your earlier post here:
I modified this for Dish's DVRs....
"A Dish Network DVR is essentially a small computer running the Linux operating system and therefore it will sometimes require a reboot. Rebooting a Dish Network DVR will give it a chance to re-initialize the operating system and clear all the temporary memory. It is necessary to reboot the Dish Network DVR on a daily basis."

Stop thinking about the Hopper as a desktop, and start thinking of it as a server because that's the role it is in. Once you start thinking about it as a server supplying services to clients (including itself) you will think about this differently. Rebooting the hopper disrupts the hopper and all attached Joeys.

I would not be surprised to find the UI service is identical code between Hopper and Joey -- with hardware checks which could spawn programs based on hardware detected.

I can only read your words here, and your words don't say anything about defective software.