Hopper Fan noise and Energy usage

mb1058

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Campbell, Ca
Now that the Hopper has been out for a couple of days, any updates on Hopper noise (Hard Drive Fan) compared to the 722/622. Also, any early power readings. I have 2 622s and 2 211s and need a slight push to go the H/J setup. By the way, my monthly rate would drop $6 if I upgraded.

My Kill-a-Watt is showing 7-8 watts for standby and 8 watts running for the Joey.

On the Hopper, it appears to be 49-50 watts standby and 50-51 watts running.

I think I remember someone quoted about 60 watts for the 722. If true, I would save 2x (622) 10 watts x 24 hours x 365 days x.35/kwatt = $60 savings per year. Not bad at all. Thanks statmanrich.

Holy cow I pay less then .11 per kilowatt
No wonder it's a factor for you (thought you were one of those "tree hugers")

Yes, I remember my 722 and 722k running around 60 watts as well. I am surprised they didn't get the power down more than that. I tested the DirecTV 5 tuner whole home box and it runs just under 30 watts.

Isn't there a power inserter with the hopper setup? Has anyone seen how many watts for this with a meter yet? Do you need two for the dual node? Can't remember from the wiring diagrams.

Yes, I remember my 722 and 722k running around 60 watts as well. I am surprised they didn't get the power down more than that. I tested the DirecTV 5 tuner whole home box and it runs just under 30 watts.

Isn't there a power inserter with the hopper setup? Has anyone seen how many watts for this with a meter yet? Do you need two for the dual node? Can't remember from the wiring diagrams.

No inserters. The power flows from the Hopper to the node. If someone has a DPP44, they'd need the inserter. I think they are trying to eliminate those with the new LNB assembly though.

My Hopper is actually quite loud. I'm certain it's louder than my 622. It's not bad when I'm watching something and the volume is up, but when the TV is muted or the paused, the sound from the Hopper is pretty annoying.

My Hopper is actually quite loud. I'm certain it's louder than my 622. It's not bad when I'm watching something and the volume is up, but when the TV is muted or the paused, the sound from the Hopper is pretty annoying.

Might want to check ventilation. Mine is basically silent as well minus a reboot/startup

Might want to check ventilation. Mine is basically silent as well minus a reboot/startup

Hmm, ventilation should be fine - it's sitting on a glass shelf by itself, plenty of space above and on each side. It's quite loud for me, much louder than my PS3 which I always thought was a little annoying. I had a friend over today and was showing off the Hopper and she asked what "that noise" was. It almost sounds like a truck is idling a few houses away. And it's not even "turned on" or recording anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts