Hopper Fast Forward and Skip Forward Improvements & Recommendations

HopperJon

Original poster
Mar 27, 2014
St. Louis County
I love my Hoppers, but TWO things I miss about my old cable TV DVRs relate to my Type A method of watching sporting events.

(1) I know there's a button to fast forward 30 seconds, and I can hit that several times to move ahead several minutes. But, I miss/want the ability to jump ahead 10 or 15 minutes in one press. That's great for (a) skipping past a hockey period intermission, a football halftime, to get past the pre-game show, or if you want to get right to the 3 hour point (for instance) in a 4 hour recording. DISH, please program the little black pageup and pagedown buttons to be +/- 15 minutes when pushed during playback. Or make the skip forward duration option be a custom choice like my old Cable TV provider offered.

(2) DISH Fast Forward is too fast. I like the multiple speed fast forward options ... x4, x15, x60, x300. Great. BUT, the FF speed is not as shown. For example, if I hit x4 and let it go for 10 seconds, that doesn't take me to 40 seconds later, but more like 150 seconds later, or 15x FF. I really want to be able to watch a baseball or hockey game using the x4 (as I did in old cable TV days), since then I can watch for when certain action is happening, back up 10 seconds, and voila. For instance, I can watch every pitch of a baseball game, and just slow it down when I see the ball put into play. But, when the slowest FF speed is really x15, it's too fast to be able to watch and process what's going on. DISH, please establish the x4 FF speed to be x4.

Agree w/you on the 1st point; actually what would be better, is to be able to do a "skip to/back a tick mark", which the Tivo's & DirecTV DVR's have had for ages. You simply press FF or REW once (slowest speed), then you press the skip forward or skip back key, to either go to or back, to the next tick mark on the time bar. MUCH easier & faster to get to a specific part of a (long) show, than having to use the fastest FF/REW speeds.
I'm actually surprised E* hasn't already done this yet...

Bookmarking would be nice. But I can see difficulties in standardized FF speeds due to constantly varying compression.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Would love to be able to press (for example) the 6 and THEN the 30 skip - for a total of 3 minutes. The same logic they use for skipping ahead hours in the guide.

Would love to be able to press (for example) the 6 and THEN the 30 skip - for a total of 3 minutes. The same logic they use for skipping ahead hours in the guide.

Another GREAT suggestion; actually, the Replay DVR's had this...except theirs did it in actual minutes (pressing 6, then SKIP, would actually skip 6 minutes)
Now that you brought this up, I would actually rather have this over my other suggestion on the "skip to tick" mark... :D

The sad truth is that ,only 1 % (my estimate) would ever use or even know how to use such a feature.
Also if that setting ever got changed, either accidentally or by another family member, then its potentially going to generate calls to tec support .... "it's broken, it's skipping way ahead, I don't understand, send me a new receiver".

I would also like to have more customizable features but Gammy and Pa Pa who can barely dial their jitterbug don't care.

This bring me to an idea I have suggested on here several times, would you be willing to pay an additional fee to "turn on" advanced features?
This would keep costs low for those who do not need or want said features and provides incentive for dish to provide such features.
I personally would pay a "power user fee" of a few bucks a month to get all the "wish list things" guys like us crave.

They already have it but for some reason Echostar, Dish or both refuse to make it a reality. You can set tags in recordings and with the joystick (new to this concept remote) you can move the playhead anywhere in the recording. This is a couple years old so it is not like it just came out and will take time to develop. Had just about everything a lot of us here would love to see and could have been a HUGE differentiator setting Dish way out in the lead if they incorporated this into the Hopper. A killer system that Dish simply missed the mark on.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/329573-Why-Isn-t-This-a-Reality-Yet?p=3362741#post3362741