Hopper freezing

pstokes

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Davenport, iowa
I have been havinga problem with my hopper freezing up. This occurs at least once a day and sometimes twice. The picture is frozen, the remote doesn't work and the joey's don't work. In a couple of cases the hopper was off (Joey's wouldn't work) and required reset in the morning when we first turned it on. I was advised to turn the hopper off at night which I did but we still have problems with the picture freezing. In other cases it has frozen up sometime during the day or evening. In one case it froze up shortly after the signal broke up (picture was pixalating). In this case, I switched the TV to antenna to be able to watch the program. I then went into another room, turned on the Joey to see if the signal was back (system lost satellite lock). Shortly after turning on the joey, the joey locked. I then checked the hopper and it wasn't working. I reset the hopper and eventually everything started working. A couple of times the picture froze after having the TV on the same channel for approximately 4 hours (I have the updates setting set to 8 hours). It also froze up a couple of times while we were scrolling through the program guide. Last night it froze up again and this morning it was off. I got a no signal message. After resetting the hopper it came back and worked ok . Thus it appears to be a random event. In all cases, pressing the red button on the the front of the hopper brought the system back on line. One time the picture froze but not the audio at first and then the audio also went off. PTAT is disabled and I only have about 9 or 10 timers. I do have WIFI connected to my hopper which I disconnected this morning as I read that some one else had this problem and disconnecting the WIFI fixed the problem. I am running the audio and video through my Panasonic receiver although this wasn't a problem with the old system (VIP722). Tech did check all of the connections and cable and said it was OK (they may have tightened some connections but have had the system freeze since that service call). I did have the LNB replaced due to low signal strength (around 30) and it is now around 50. Any suggestions as to what to do next? Sunday , Aud 5th the hopper is being replaced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it still freezing up after you disconnected the network from the Hopper. The only way I could make my system stable and also be network connected was to install an HIC.
I had many of the same issues as you with network connected to the Hopper either wired or wireless.
Also, after you remove the network its a good idea to cold boot everything.

Last edited:
Haven't had a freeze up since I disconnected the wireless network. Also, I checked my wireless history and found that
the dish network connection is somewhat erratic. I can see that dish disconnected from the network 3 or 4 times during the day for 1 to 2 minutes at a time. It happens both AM and PM. Could be low signal strength from the dish wireless adapter. I did not do a cold boot. Sorry, but I am not familiar with the terminology "HIC".

It is a Hopper Internet Connector. A box that connects to your router and supplies network to the Hopper and Joeys via the coax (Moca). If you have a dish tech comming out I would get him to install one.
He should provide it for free but if not you can find them on Ebay for around twenty bucks. My system has worked perfectly since installing the HIC. I think they should include one of these with every install. It would save a lot of problems.
Here is what it looks like:
Amazon.com: Dish Network Hopper Internet Connector: Electronics

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)