Hopper guide update

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The receiver doesn't reset when you download a VOD, however to update the actual files, it does require a reboot. That would be a better comparison to your SG comparison. That was just one piece. It also applies any patches that may have come through that do not require a full software update.

OK, but why does it need to update every 3 days?
Why not once a month?
I do not know how the new Carbon UI works. However, if it works like my experience in post number 17, using the original Hopper with the old UI, then the old PTAT events do not get deleted until the Hopper reboots. If the update was only once per month, you would fill up the hard drive with PTAT.

I love when people assume why Dish does this, having no real knowledge, but comparing it to the update that inferior boxes do. The Hopper system is a completely different beast than any VIP, and as such would be the same as comparing it to cable or DTV systems. All in all, almost no one on this particular post knows why it happens and why it cannot be changed, and any assumptions to such would be merely an uneducated opinion.
Thank you for providing yourself as an excellent example of that. We await your next encyclical, nonetheless, for we require direction from your personal Holy See. What would we do without you?

using the original Hopper with the old UI, then the old PTAT events do not get deleted until the Hopper reboots. If the update was only once per month, you would fill up the hard drive with PTAT.

The receivers can reboot without software update as well.
This days they are pretty much a computers.... which mean they can do everything they are programed to do....

Same reason computers need to after downloading new software, for it to be effective.
The 'operating' software does not get updated nightly or every (3) days. Besides, Dish's receivers run Linux as their operating system and a reboot is only necessary when the kernel changes (which Dish isn't doing on a routine basis). I recall seeing somewhere that Dish does run their own, tweaked 'build' of a Linux distro but the changes they make to it are few and far between. They have what they consider a fairly stable build and are leaving it alone. All other s/w can be, or should be, running as modules, which can be stopped and restarted on-the-fly.

Reactions: Troch77

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts