Hopper Heals Itself? What a Hopper!

my3son

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
United States
A severe thunderstorm passed through my area Monday evening, knocking out power for a couple of hours. When power is restored, one Hopper comes up fine and the other keeps cycling on and off. When it cycles on I notice that PTAT is on two tuners, but before I can do anything, it cycles again. I hard reset, I unplug/replug to no avail. I call Dish and set up an appointment for Wednesday morning and unplug the offending Hopper. I plug the offending Hopper in before I go to bed, after PTAT. This morning I check and all seems well, Hopper comes on and acts normally. I'll check the Hopper when I get home tonight and see if it gets PTAT before I cancel the appointment tomorrow morning.

2nd day I had mine while watching, the screen went black, and a dialog box opened up saying it was performing a self-test. It was offline with the same message for about 4 min, then said something about completing a diagnosis, and everything came back on. Has never repeated and it's been over a week now.

We had a similar issue with 1 Hopper & 2 Joey configuration this past weekend. The system locked-up, tried the red reset button, as well as unplug the hopper and attempted to reset. The system would hit the start screen then screen would go blank and again recycle. I called Dish, they said they had not seen this issued & scheduled a service call to replace. We unplugged the hopper and left for 5-10 min's and the system finally re-booted and has worked o.k. since. We canceled service call so hopefully after the re-boot this has fixed the problem

Maybe it was doing a chkdsk and didn't report the status correctly? It would be nice for us geeks to know what's going on when the hopper is diagnosing itself...

I came home last night and all was well. PTAT came on and recorded on only one tuner. So I canceled my appointment for this morning online. This is odd but good news in that while i was canceling my appointment for this morning I saw where the previous two appointments had taken 13 hours total, with half of that due to a bad existing coax line to a bedroom. I'm glad for my sake and the installer's sake they didn't have to come back out again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)