Hopper home networking and Apps

Breathing Borla

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 9, 2009
Illinois
I haven't seen much on this so I thought I would start a new thread.

hopper and joey installed and working great along with the apps that come with it.

I can't seem to get the hopper to see my home network or vice versa. it says no devices detected and my network doesn't have it listed.

also, how to you get more apps

Are you saying you don't have internet access (ie, the apps can't connect) or it is not able to browse network content (if it even does that)?

I think I may have got confused but I thought I could access stuff on my home network (music, photos) ect or access content from the PS3 (it lists PS3 media server on the device list)

the apps work so maybe that is the limitation.

why even have the "home media" menu then??

I've noticed the PS3 does not play well with other DLNA compatible devices. For instance, when I first got my Mac I had to tweak the streaming software on it to be able to talk to my PS3.

what is playOn server? is that software I load onto the PC?

my PS3 can see and play stuff from the desktop and laptop so I thought the hopper would pick it up off that or at least through the PS3.

I will try and find more out about the playon stuff

I got play on and put it on my laptop, PS3 picked it right up, but the hopper still doesn't see any devices, hmmm.

back to the drawing board. I was also not able to get public files on playOn, so when the PS3 loads up the playon file you can only see the tv stations (hulu pandora ect).

that's better than the hopper which says no devices at all, LOL

I think I may have got confused but I thought I could access stuff on my home network (music, photos) ect or access content from the PS3 (it lists PS3 media server on the device list)

the apps work so maybe that is the limitation.

why even have the "home media" menu then??

To view the photos/music/etc from the PC you need to have DLNA server software installed. This is what makes the files visible to the Hopper and other DLNA devices. The PS3 has DLNA built-in which is why you can see it. The Play-On software Scott mentioned is DLNA server software.

You won't be able to browse files on your PC from the Hopper like you could from another PC.

To view the photos/music/etc from the PC you need to have DLNA server software installed. This is what makes the files visible to the Hopper and other DLNA devices. The PS3 has DLNA built-in which is why you can see it. The Play-On software Scott mentioned is DLNA server software.

You won't be able to browse files on your PC from the Hopper like you could from another PC.

K, what I want to do is access pictures, music ect from the hopper. I would like to either play music I have on the PC or stream music some how. Is this possible (the pandora app is not there like it is in the hopper guide)

I can do that on the PS3 but I thought the hopper could do it as well.

I can't see the PS3 or any other devices so far.

i will try and reboot router per scott and see if I get something.

My network is working fine as I can see everything on the PS3 and the second I install playon it popped up on the PS3

thanks for the help guys

I don't get it. the hopper just won't see any devices. I have a ps3 and also laptop with playon, everything else is working perfectly, but the hopper just won't list out any devices..hmmmmmmmm

I wonder if I am missing something

Not sure if it works with the hopper but with my 922 i can stream photos and music from my iPhone using an app called Twonky. when i get my Hopper on saturday i will see if it still works.

man, I can't get it to see any devices, I guess I'm out of ideas. I pretty darn sure my network is working properly as as soon as a added playon to my laptop, it was right up on the PS3 and could also see all the folders I put into the my media section of the play on software.

i wonder if a call to dish would be more trouble than it's worth right now

other than that though, this system rocks, very fast and new format is really nice. apps work great, I wish I could add more or get some sort of music though

I'm having the same problem. I normally use mediatomb as my DLNA server, but figured maybe the Hopper needed some special headers sent by PS3 MS or similar app. So I fired up the PS3 media server which was picked up by the PS3 and my samsung tv, but my hopper and joey still show no supported devices.

Having a chat with Dish adv tech support now to see if they have any suggestions

722K and external HD

Sling and Dish App

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)