Hopper Internet Speed Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
How come my HWSs internet down speeds are slower than my laptop speed? My laptop Ethernet connected down speed is 134.32 Mbps. When I perform a Hopper Broadband Connection Download speed test (Yellow - Blue - 3 - Test Connection) from my HWS that is Ethernet connected down speed is 73.45 Mbps. The other two HWSs that are in MoCA mode speed readings are around 76.42 Mbps. Thanks for any help.

How is your MoCA network connected to the internet? Ethernet to the Hopper? Hopper Internet Connector? Wireless to the Hopper?

Also, are there any clients viewing video when you run these tests?

Finally, where/how are you testing your laptop?

Simple answers are: MoCA overhead/speed limits, limited speed of Dish's speed test servers vs. the speed test you are using for your laptop, other clients on the MoCA network chewing up some bandwidth, etc.

70Mbps is plenty fast for any internet connected purposes of your Hopper, though. The max bitrate for Netflix "Super HD" streams is 6Mbps. No Dish video on demand is going to be more than 6-10Mbps at the absolute extreme. So, if you're worried about impacted performance, don't. If you're just curious, it's because internet speed testing is not an exact science and there are so many variables it's hard to compare if you aren't using the same exact source/destination.

How is your MoCA network connected to the internet? Ethernet to the Hopper? Hopper Internet Connector? Wireless to the Hopper?

Also, are there any clients viewing video when you run these tests?

Finally, where/how are you testing your laptop?

Simple answers are: MoCA overhead/speed limits, limited speed of Dish's speed test servers vs. the speed test you are using for your laptop, other clients on the MoCA network chewing up some bandwidth, etc.

70Mbps is plenty fast for any internet connected purposes of your Hopper, though. The max bitrate for Netflix "Super HD" streams is 6Mbps. No Dish video on demand is going to be more than 6-10Mbps at the absolute extreme. So, if you're worried about impacted performance, don't. If you're just curious, it's because internet speed testing is not an exact science and there are so many variables it's hard to compare if you aren't using the same exact source/destination.
When I did the speed test with my laptop it was connected by Cat5 to my router and I used a speed test site from Charter. Test results were 134.32 Mbps down and 5.45 Mbps up. One HWS is connected by Cat5 Ethernet Bottom mode, the other two HWSs and one Joey are in MoCA mode. My two Wireless Joeys are in Wireless mode. When I did the HWS speed test the HWS that is Ethernet Bottom mode was watching a DVR recording. The other two HWSs were watching TV, no movies. The three Joeys were turned off

So, are you saying the HWSs speed test are to DISH test servers in Colorado? Thanks for the info.

When I did the speed test with my laptop it was connected by Cat5 to my router and I used a speed test site from Charter. Test results were 134.32 Mbps down and 5.45 Mbps up. One HWS is connected by Cat5 Ethernet Bottom mode, the other two HWSs and one Joey are in MoCA mode. My two Wireless Joeys are in Wireless mode. When I did the HWS speed test the HWS that is Ethernet Bottom mode was watching a DVR recording. The other two HWSs were watching TV, no movies. The three Joeys were turned off

So, are you saying the HWSs speed test are to DISH test servers in Colorado? Thanks for the info.

I don't know where the Dish speed test servers are, but it doesn't really matter. All that matters is that they're in a different place than the Charter servers, so there's a whole lot that could be different about the path between you and Dish and between you and Charter's data center (especially if Charter is your ISP)

Plus, the recording you were watching would have been digging into your MoCA bandwidth somewhat (not a full 60Mbps). Either way, you should be more than satisfied with that kind of a speed test for your Hopper(s), it's 8-10 times faster than it can even use.

Reactions: charlesrshell
So, are you saying the HWSs speed test are to DISH test servers in Colorado?
Maybe, maybe not. One thing is almost certain and that they are not "speed test servers" like the ones all over the 'net nowadays. They no doubt have a really, fat (fast) pipe to the internet but they may be purposely throttled as well.

I don't know where the Dish speed test servers are, but it doesn't really matter. All that matters is that they're in a different place than the Charter servers, so there's a whole lot that could be different about the path between you and Dish and between you and Charter's data center (especially if Charter is your ISP)
:thumbup :thumbup

OK, thanks. I understand it better now. I have another internet speed question for you if you can help.

I have two Vizio TVs connected to my router by Cat5. My new Vizio 4K model speed test reading was 10.75 Mb/s. The other one year old Vizio 1080P model speed test was 9840 kb/s. Both TVs were not streaming any movies when I did the test. Are those speed test readings OK? Why is one TV speed test reading is in Mb/s and the other is kb/s?

Vizio changed the numbering scheme between models... Or, maybe if the value is greater than "10" Mb/s, it changes. Repeat the test on the one that got the 9840 value and see if it breaks "10" and if it changes.

As for if those numbers are okay, multiply them by 8 and see where they fall in relation to your internet speed. Don't put too much value in these tests too. Unless you use a test server hosted on Comcast's network and you never leave it to reach it, they aren't 100% "accurate". They can be but aren't always. Running a test at 7pm won't yield good results either, so do it at 5am when less people are online.

Lastly, just like with running the test on Dish equipment, Vizio's servers may throttle connections as well.

Of my two HwS the one I have hardwired to the router is showing 49Mbps final, topping out at 69Mbps. Second test 26Mbps. I have a 125Mbps down connection. I have noticed that when we DL VOD fair, that it maxes at about 35-40Mbps, nominally 20Mbps.

Vizio changed the numbering scheme between models... Or, maybe if the value is greater than "10" Mb/s, it changes. Repeat the test on the one that got the 9840 value and see if it breaks "10" and if it changes.

As for if those numbers are okay, multiply them by 8 and see where they fall in relation to your internet speed. Don't put too much value in these tests too. Unless you use a test server hosted on Comcast's network and you never leave it to reach it, they aren't 100% "accurate". They can be but aren't always. Running a test at 7pm won't yield good results either, so do it at 5am when less people are online.

Lastly, just like with running the test on Dish equipment, Vizio's servers may throttle connections as well.

I kept retesting the Vizio that uses the kb/s valve and one time got it to go over 10, read 10289 kb/s. So I guess Vizio changed the numbering scheme for the newer models to Mb/s. On a Google search I did a Mb/s and kb/s conversion to Mbps valve. Both Vizio TVs test readings convert to about the same Mbps readings as the Hopper Mbps speed. Thanks Hall and josephB for your help. I understand it a lot better now.

I have currently have 15 Mbps service, and the Both hoppers test at 14.8-15.3 mbps.

But when I had 60 Mbps 2 months ago, the Hoppers wouldn't go above 30 Mbps??
Not sure why that is.
But I've noticed that you can stream HD VOD without interruption with 4 mbps.
I've done this several times when the others are streaming netflix in the other rooms and basically 4 was all that was left from my 15 Mbps.

I've never needed more then 15 Mbps service in our house of 4.

And I don't give a crap about 4K.
Certainly not enough to make me pay more money for faster internet and Premium PPV, on top of using twice as much monthly data, that the cable company would love.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

9740 kb/s would be 9.74 Mb/s.

Factors why the Hopper isn't as fast could be the network interface drivers, overall internet traffic, "slow" or overloaded servers at Dish's end, and so on.

In the end, you're probably worrying about nothing. Look at what Netflix says for streaming here: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

Those speeds are what your internet provider lists. You appear to have 150Mbs service, 6x faster than Netflix recommends for Ultra HD. Even the worst case you describe is far faster than 25Mbs service they suggest.

9740 kb/s would be 9.74 Mb/s.

Factors why the Hopper isn't as fast could be the network interface drivers, overall internet traffic, "slow" or overloaded servers at Dish's end, and so on.

In the end, you're probably worrying about nothing. Look at what Netflix says for streaming here: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

Those speeds are what your internet provider lists. You appear to have 150Mbs service, 6x faster than Netflix recommends for Ultra HD. Even the worst case you describe is far faster than 25Mbs service they suggest.
OK, thanks. I am not concerned about the speed anymore from what I have learned in this thread. My Charter service is 120 Mbps down and 5 up. I don't know why but several months ago it started testing 130 and above down speed for some reason.

Way too many variables to count. A big one is the Hopper's connection is only 100Mbit. Your getting 70% of maximum theoretical speed, you'll never see 100%. There's room for improvement but I doubt the Dish receiver is optimized for net throughput, it's busy pushing pixels out.

I also doubt Dish's servers tuned to give absolute fastest possible download speeds. From a point of managing their workloads, once they get well past the "good enough" mark there is no need feed you anything faster, regardless of other factors like location.

My Charter service is 120 Mbps down and 5 up. I don't know why but several months ago it started testing 130 and above down speed for some reason.
Cablecos frequently "overprovision" customer's speeds compared to what they advertise. Time Warner does this too.

A big one is the Hopper's connection is only 100Mbit. Your getting 70% of maximum theoretical speed, you'll never see 100%.
Years ago, people would say if you got 50% of the theoretical speed, consider yourself lucky ! ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)