Hopper & Joey in RV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

craigroe

Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Anyone out there have Hopper/Joey set up in an RV? If so how do you get around the Dish party line of"that won't work" because I know it will.

Anyone out there have Hopper/Joey set up in an RV? If so how do you get around the Dish party line of"that won't work" because I know it will.
DISH doesn't know how to respond to RV requests because they don't handle them. DISH (and DIRECTV) has(have) effectively turned over that portion of their business(es) to the retailers that offer mobile dishes. As such, you should consider contacting dealers for Winegard, King Controls and/or KVH and see what they have to say. I suspect this comes from the idea that RVs move often (which is not always the case).

If you take a home system with a conventional residential account on the road, there may also be the delight of being outside your home arc.

I'm guessing that PTAT probably doesn't work absent HD LIL.

Life is about figuring out what's desirable versus what can be done and developing the ability to distinguish the difference.

If so how do you get around the Dish party line of"that won't work"
That isn't a Dish party line, it is a line you heard.

Yes a Hopper and Joey work in an RV. Dish won't do the subscription or install.

Interesting in light of the fact that Dish has a RV Department with RV related programs, Pay-As-You-Go, Tailgater, often changing service addresses. You just cannot rely on the regular CSRs since they are equipped with fixed residences issues.

If you use DNS, PTAT does not work. But that is a service for full-time RVers, not vacationers. Also, with an RV Registration (DNS), you cannot have the maintenance plan.

I would go to a local DISH retailer, not someone selling RV satellite dishes. There are reports of them trying to get you to do DirecTV, because they find that easier (I've had people at CW tell me no RVers used Dish), or they will think the same dish setup will work for both D* & E*, or they just don't understand different STBs may have different needs.

Thanks for all the input. For now I think I am going to stick with the setup I am using (2 722's at home and 1 in the RV). I am fairly handy with the setup once I see it done so when I do make the change I will most likely just get 2 Hoppers & multiple Joeys for the "house" then purchase a solo node and move one of the Hoppers and a Joey to the RV. Seems like from reading some other threads that is a common practice.

Thanks for all the input. For now I think I am going to stick with the setup I am using (2 722's at home and 1 in the RV). I am fairly handy with the setup once I see it done so when I do make the change I will most likely just get 2 Hoppers & multiple Joeys for the "house" then purchase a solo node and move one of the Hoppers and a Joey to the RV. Seems like from reading some other threads that is a common practice.

I am a full time RVer. I called Dish amny times including the RV department and a half dozen retailers including the one that set up my 2 622s in my RV (which were upgraded to 722ks over the years). The best I could do was full retail for everything.
After working through several CSRs in the Executive Resolution department, I found the ONE who figured out how to turn off DNS use what sounded like a residential address in the RV park I was in and have a contract installer come out, I was able to get my 2 Hopper 0 Joey system with a tripod mounted Dish 1000.2 for a total of $100.
After the install I had DNS turned on again. everything works fine except PTAT, and occasionally pointing the dish.

I am also a full-time RVer. I am curious about this because I am thinking of doing the same thing. How are things working and what key words did you use to get this done? How long did it take from the request to the install? Did you have to do any special wiring?

I have a Hopper/Joey setup in my 5th wheel. But I cheated. When I ordered my upgrade at home, I asked for a 2 Hopper, 4 Joey system. When the installer showed up, I told him I wanted 1 Hopper, 3 Joeys in the house and the other Hopper and Joey in my 5th wheel. He wasn't sure, but said he would do it. He said Dish rules prohibit him from going up on the roof of the RV (I have a Winegard Travler). I convinced him that by researching through Satellite Guys that I knew what had to be done, so he said ok. So, I sorta cheated to get my system set up. I have not been beyond my local area yet, so can't say what does or doesn't work as far at PTAT. I have been 250 miles from home and it still worked, but I assume I was still in my home zone.

That probably doesn't help your situation, but that's what I did. I have determined that if you dry camp a lot, the Hopper/Joey is not the best setup, as the Hopper obviously has to be powered up for the Joey to work, so that sucks a bit of battery/inverter power. It definitely requires more power than, say, a 211K. Just an FYI.

As for as special wiring, my 5er was already wired for 2 receivers, so it was pretty straight forward. The Travler has the exact same 1000.2 dish as all the others.

Last edited:
I got my Hopper and 2 Joeys installed after I kept calling DISH asking for local installers -- finally found one who would do the RV install.

I had my RV pre-wired for the install -- new RG6, Solo node, etc + I bought the Hopper & Joeys outright (would NOT recommend this).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)