Hopper/Joey vs. other options

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JayVee

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
IN
I started this in the other thread, but decided to move it here to keep it from getting off track.

I have DTV, looking to switch, but DISH doesn't have my locals in HD. I only have 2 TVs, would it make sense for me to get the hopper/joey since the PTAT won't be available to me? Will PTAT work if/when they start HD service in my area?

Also, any idea when that might be? :(

The first Hopper is free. The first Joey is $7. You'd pay $7 in equipment fees, $6 DVR fee, $4 whole house fee. Plus programming pkg & taxes. For one TV, I couldn't see a Hopper. At two, it starts to be something to consider, depending upon what features you want. There's a lot more than just PTAT. You'll have the shared DVR space, centralized control (you can pause the action at the Joey even though it does not have a local DVR), new EPG & UI, etc. But yes, if you later got HD locals, PTAT could be turned on - by you.

Dish keeps close to the vest on when/if HD locals are coming to any given area.

Okay, thanks for answering. What are the downsides to having a Hopper for just one TV? The mandatory whole house fee of $4, is that it? I guess the lack of the OTA option is one, right now (for me), though I can get a cheap antenna that works just great for local HD channels...

Maybe this isn't the right place for this question, but what setup would any of you suggest for a house with one main TV (90% viewing) and one upstairs TV (10% viewing)? The huge hard drive of the Hopper is tempting... how does it compare to my other options? If there's a major price/features difference between the options, I'd be okay with scaling down to one TV.

Other background info, I love HD and DVR (of course, who doesn't?) but my wife and kids fill it up with cooking shows, reality shows and cartoons. So a bigger DVR sure would be nice (not sure how big the one is I have with DirecTV).

Short/sweet, what would you do in my shoes?

If it were me, I would go with 2 Hoppers. That way I'd have plenty of HDD space and lots of tuners. I know they won't see eachother at release but I don't think it wiil take to long for the update. If that doesn't work, then I'd just go with 1 Hopper and 1 Joey and then I'd have an EHD hooked up too.

I started this in the other thread, but decided to move it here to keep it from getting off track.

Okay, thanks for answering. What are the downsides to having a Hopper for just one TV? The mandatory whole house fee of $4, is that it? I guess the lack of the OTA option is one, right now (for me), though I can get a cheap antenna that works just great for local HD channels...

Maybe this isn't the right place for this question, but what setup would any of you suggest for a house with one main TV (90% viewing) and one upstairs TV (10% viewing)? The huge hard drive of the Hopper is tempting... how does it compare to my other options? If there's a major price/features difference between the options, I'd be okay with scaling down to one TV.

Other background info, I love HD and DVR (of course, who doesn't?) but my wife and kids fill it up with cooking shows, reality shows and cartoons. So a bigger DVR sure would be nice (not sure how big the one is I have with DirecTV).

Short/sweet, what would you do in my shoes?

Since your a new subscriber you should be a prime candidate for the Hopper and Joey.Reason this setup can be expanded to provide service more HDTVs if you ever need it in the future,if you can wait till it becomes available.:)

If it were me, I would go with 2 Hoppers. That way I'd have plenty of HDD space and lots of tuners. I know they won't see eachother at release but I don't think it wiil take to long for the update. If that doesn't work, then I'd just go with 1 Hopper and 1 Joey and then I'd have an EHD hooked up too.

Sorry, EHD?

USB External Hard Drive. Must be 2TB or less and not USB powered (seperate power plug).

If I opt for something like the 722k (because of the availability of the OTA module) would the installer install the antenna, too? I mean, I can install it on the roof, but running the coax through the wall and everything, I'm not too sure about.

Also, does the OTA module come with the box, or do I have to order/install it separately?

If I opt for something like the 722k (because of the availability of the OTA module) would the installer install the antenna, too? I mean, I can install it on the roof, but running the coax through the wall and everything, I'm not too sure about.

Also, does the OTA module come with the box, or do I have to order/install it separately?

No, Dish does not install antennas, or run lines for your OTA antenna setup. If the antenna and lines are there they will probably hook it up for you though. As far as the OTA module goes you will need to order it separately. If you do it when you sign up the installer should be able to bring it with him. Also, the 722 (no k) and 622 have a single tuner OTA module built in to the receiver. (The MT2 for the 722k is a dual tuner OTA)

No, Dish does not install antennas, or run lines for your OTA antenna setup. If the antenna and lines are there they will probably hook it up for you though. As far as the OTA module goes you will need to order it separately. If you do it when you sign up the installer should be able to bring it with him. Also, the 722 (no k) and 622 have a single tuner OTA module built in to the receiver. (The MT2 for the 722k is a dual tuner OTA)

But I've heard that the 722k is newer/better, though, right? Or does it matter that I get a 722 (or something else - 922? not sure the difference)?

Controlling only 2 TVs in the house, and I'd love to be able to avoid the whole-home DVR and the extra receiver fees...

But I've heard that the 722k is newer/better, though, right? Or does it matter that I get a 722 (or something else - 922? not sure the difference)?

Controlling only 2 TVs in the house, and I'd love to be able to avoid the whole-home DVR and the extra receiver fees...
If you want/do a lot of OTA recording, the 722K with Module is best, but if not, the 722 is just as good. 922's have been discontinued and no longer installed.

I really appreciate the help, guys, thanks.

Maybe this is a silly question, but how do I order? Do I call Dish directly, and ask for a 722K with an OTA tuner? Or do I call an installer? What's the difference? The prices and offers are the same, right?

JayVee said:
I really appreciate the help, guys, thanks.

Maybe this is a silly question, but how do I order? Do I call Dish directly, and ask for a 722K with an OTA tuner? Or do I call an installer? What's the difference? The prices and offers are the same, right?

Prices and promos are the same. Retailers can usually give you a more personal service. You can usually talk to the same person when you have questions and they know your setup.

Wondering what I would get with a hopper/joey. I now have a 722 with OTA in one room and a 612 in one room with CAT5 to HDMI adapter to another room.
2 DVR's and yes 2 TV's have to watch the same channel. but it works. I do like the opportunity to have 1 central DVR

Wondering what I would get with a hopper/joey. I now have a 722 with OTA in one room and a 612 in one room with CAT5 to HDMI adapter to another room.
2 DVR's and yes 2 TV's have to watch the same channel. but it works. I do like the opportunity to have 1 central DVR

First, If you need the OTA, then wait for Hopper support.

With two Hoppers your bill would go up $1, you gain two sat tuners, new GUI, probably PTA, and eventually shared content.

With two Hoppers and a Joey your bill would go up $8, and you gain independent viewing in addition to the above.

Maybe harshness wants another all expense paid vacation for trolling again.

Man my trigger finger is itchy tonight, it must be the weather or something. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)