Hopper Newbie.

onethree

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Oklahoma
Just recently upgraded to two hoppers with sling and I have a couple of questions that Dish has provided differing answers on.

Does the hopper always revert to My Channels in the guide each day or is there a way to make one of my list the default?
If I have Primetime Anytime turned on and set an additional separate timer to keep the show past 8 days does the show record twice and take twice the space?
Does Autohop only work on Primetime Anytime shows or any show after midnight?
Can you use a EHD bigger than 2TB because everyone at Dish says you can and it doesn't have to be powered. However, my 3TB WD powered drive spins up but does not show on the Hopper.

Thanks.

Hopper will revert to My Channels nightly
The record is only on one tuner
Autohop works only on ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC during Primetime hours and is available to you after 1 AM the next day
Dish supports 2TB and powered only..... although many have said they got it to work with 3TB and non powered....

Yep it will always revert to My Channels.

When using PTAT you can save shows that you want longer than 8 days without the need to record twice.

Yep auto hop only works on PTAT recordings after 1am the next day. Doesn't work on non-PTAT events, though some have reported it to work on non-PTAT events, it has always been on a local channel, never a national channel.

There have been limited reports of success with 3TB drives and unpowered drives. In my personal opinion, I prefer just getting multiple 1TB drives in case of failure. I have had success with unpowered drives but generally don't keep them in permanent service. I usually move the content to a powered drive, eventually.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Thanks for the input all. How do you set a PTAT show to save beyond 8 days? Is it through creating a timer or some other means? I wish Dish would spot saying that it will support any size drive because I have called at least 4 times and been told that from CSR's, Supervisors, and Tech Support. I guess it is off to buy a 2TB drive to migrate the shows off my 622's before I send them back.

My Hopper does NOT revert to My Channels, and has not for at least a couple of months. Stays on "Faves".

Also, Autohop is not taking effect until nearly 4 am for me.

And, the bigger the drive, the more you'll lose if (when) it fails.

My Hopper 2000 does not change from my SELECT set of favorites.

I think that marking the show as Save will keep it past 3 to 8 days, that's adjustable.
I set mine to 3 days so I can remove it to an EHD sooner.
I tuned off days of less that say 3 shows on PTAT so I can "keep" them sooner.

My smallest drive is .75TB but that was bought years ago when it was big.
I have none bigger than 2TB although tempted by prices, just to be safe.

What's the difference between losing one big drive or losing multiple small ones?
What are the failure rates as a function of size/platters/heads? Anyone know?

-Ken

BTW, note drive makers use 1000^n, we and Dish use 1024^n thus the "loss" for some.

My Hopper does NOT revert to My Channels, and has not for at least a couple of months. Stays on "Faves".

Also, Autohop is not taking effect until nearly 4 am for me.

And, the bigger the drive, the more you'll lose if (when) it fails.

Yes, just after 4am for me as well. Possibly this is due to being on eastern time, thus needing to wait till after 1am on the west coast.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

There are two ways to save a show from PTAT longer than 8 days.

First, go into the PTAT folder and tell the Hopper to save the show.

Second, set a timer for the show you want kept. It will only save one copy, the PTAT one. Basically it just makes a shortcut from your main DVR page to the PTAT recording. Then, after 8 days, it moves the recording to your main DVR page and deletes it from PTAT. This is all completely seamless and you have no idea it's being done.

Thanks for the answers. I realized they didn't provide an owners manual. Had to download off the internet. The information on this site has been very helpful!

From the limited sample, seems the original Hopper will now stay on your favorites list, the HWS does not.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)