Hopper options

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

budda

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Oconomowoc
Do you think you will be able to have a Hopper & one joey and a 722k or is it a either or thing. Reason is the kids are SD so I would keep the 722k for them. Two kids. Thanks

This issue has been beaten to death here. There is a clear announced policy that there cannot be a mixed hopper/VIP account.

However some of us are holding out faint hope that folks with RV receivers will be exempt.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using SatelliteGuys

The Hopper Joey installer training materials clearly show a connected "Optional VIP receiver". So it's clearly not so clear.

I have been told by someone that has the Hopper and going through training that having a vip receiver on a Hopper account will work but Dish just is not going to market it that way. That's why it's in the manual.

I have been told by someone that has the Hopper and going through training that having a vip receiver on a Hopper account will work but Dish just is not going to market it that way. That's why it's in the manual.
Perhaps they will not lease a mixed system but instead permit activation of an owned VIP receiver addition to the H/J system as shown in the training materials.

rdinkel said:
Perhaps they will not lease a mixed system but instead permit activation of an owned VIP receiver addition to the H/J system as shown in the training materials.
Great thought!! I think I'll choose to go with it and maybe an RV exemption to give me a good night's sleep.

There's no reason you can't do SD from a Hopper/Joey similar to what you do with your 722 today. Just get a $10 RF modulator, and realize all SD clients will mirror TV1 from the source.

rglore said:
The Hopper Joey installer training materials clearly show a connected "Optional VIP receiver". So it's clearly not so clear.
Scherrman said:

Of course the installers need to know how to do a lot of things but that knowledge won't dictate policy. Clearly.

I really think you have hit the nail on the head.

A lot of nice comments. I guess to bottom line it. Nothing has been done yet. Nothing to say,, well Dish is doing this or that. I guess if two Hoppers is cheaper then a Hopper and DVR 722 I could do that as well. Will have to see how it shakes out when this stuff is in practice. Thanks again.

One cannot "mix" a Hopper/Joey (whole home DVR) and ViP or legacy boxes using the NODES. NODES are for Whole Home DVR ONLY. However, any legacy box can be connected directly to the LNBF or Switch and operate as it does today. YES, one can have both a the Whole Home and a seperate legacy box on the same account. However, it is also correctly pointed out that Dish is strongly going to market the Joey/Hoppers as the solution for most households and will provide the most positive experience by providing the most requested feature: flexibility of a whole home DVR solution. THAT is WHERE it is at for all MVPD's right now. It is all about being able to watch the same content in HD in any other room in the house.

Legacy boxes will still have a place for those who only require a single source of video such as single people or a couple who are satisfied with TV in the living room only or even just SD in the bedroom, but that will be a very small niche and will get smaller as time goes by. Dish would probably prefer to put one HOPPER in a single person situation because of PTA and 3 tuners as all this technology is designed to meet customer demands AND PREVENT churn by people feeling they have a diminished experience because the have only 2 tuners and can't watch HD in the bedroom. They want customers to fell they have the latest and greatest features compared to the competition and less likely to be lured away. It is clear the standard will be the Hopper and Joey.

You mention SD only for the kids, which the Joeys can do with composite outputs (and RF modulator if needed). But is your real goal to have the kids content separate from the main hopper, so they can't mess with the grown-ups programming/timers? A second hopper with an isolator will do the job as well.

Kids have a TV in there rooms boy 16 , girl 14, TV's are SD and HD. I have a 60 plasma 1080P in main room. And bedroom and sun room 40 in LCD's. 1080P. Most of what they watch is SD. I gave my son a 57 TV I fixed JVC HD, but that is not his focus. I would like them to have there own DVR. The record a lot of crap. That way they can manage there own stuff. As of now. DVR in main room shared with son. Bedroom shared with daughter. Put the kids on there DVR and the wife and I on one as well. In the settings I guess you can select whatever output you want or need. Seems like a waste. But bottom line price at the end is what counts. Thanks

I can understand not having "mixed" setups for new customers and that should be the rule. But I firmly believe that existing customers
(especially ones that own their equipment) should have some latitude and be allowed to have a mixed setup on their accounts.
Gerry

Does anyone know if a DPP 33 will work in series with (connected to the pass-thru ports) of a DP 34? I happen to have both of these switches, and wonder if this would allow me to "mix" receiver types. The VIP(s) would come off the DP 34, ahead of the DPP 33 and Hopper node. One issue might be power use, but there could be others. Thanks.

Brad

Does anyone know if a DPP 33 will work in series with (connected to the pass-thru ports) of a DP 34?

I had this configuration for years until Dish upgraded me from mixed-arc to EA. Works fine. 722 and two 612's on the DPP33, and a mixture of single-tuner receivers on the DP34. I presume this would likewise work for the Hoppers, but who knows? One thing I did learn the hard way is that you absolutely positively MUST have a receiver plugged in to power that DP34. Apparently there are active buffers or amps in it.

Does anyone know if a DPP 33 will work in series with (connected to the pass-thru ports) of a DP 34? I happen to have both of these switches, and wonder if this would allow me to "mix" receiver types. The VIP(s) would come off the DP 34, ahead of the DPP 33 and Hopper node. One issue might be power use, but there could be others. Thanks.

Brad

I do know it works with a DPP44. I have a DPP44 and a DPP33 on the pass through of the DPP44 and it works fine. So, I would assume it would work with the DP34.

I do know it works with a DPP44. I have a DPP44 and a DPP33 on the pass through of the DPP44 and it works fine. So, I would assume it would work with the DP34.

Thanks for that also. I have a DP44/w/power adapter. Good to know. I can't get LOS for locals use a OTA for HD locals hope there is a solution for that quickly/adapter. But all else is looking good on my setup.

TheKrell said:
I had this configuration for years until Dish upgraded me from mixed-arc to EA. Works fine. 722 and two 612's on the DPP33, and a mixture of single-tuner receivers on the DP34. I presume this would likewise work for the Hoppers, but who knows? One thing I did learn the hard way is that you absolutely positively MUST have a receiver plugged in to power that DP34. Apparently there are active buffers or amps in it.

Thanks! Good to know if I need it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)