Hopper OTA guide information

EddieZ

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2015
Springfield
Hello, new here.

Can someone who has the Hopper OTA device explain what sort of guide data they get with that? Does Dish send the all the channels info or maybe just the main networks? Maybe it depends on location? Thinking about buying one and curious what we may get.

You get guide data for all the local channels except some, or all, of the sub channels depending on your location.

If Dish carries the primary station, as in ABC, CBS, etc, you will almost certainly get the guide data for the "-1" OTA channel. That is not always 100% true though....

How long have you had the OTA module hooked up ? If it's been more than 24 hours, whatever guide data you're seeing now is what you'll get.

If Dish carries the primary station, as in ABC, CBS, etc, you will almost certainly get the guide data for the "-1" OTA channel. That is not always 100% true though....

How long have you had the OTA module hooked up ? If it's been more than 24 hours, whatever guide data you're seeing now is what you'll get.

Still pondering the purchase - I see it at Amazon for $ 39 - does DISH sell this direct somehow? I guess I should call.

Still pondering the purchase - I see it at Amazon for $ 39 - does DISH sell this direct somehow? I guess I should call.
Yes you should call and they will tell you about your DMA(designated market area) on the DISH system. Here with over 70 channels available the OTA module is worth more than in an area with 6 channels.

If you are close enough to another cities transmitters,you wull be able to receive them. In my case, Rochester NY is my Dish locals. However, I can also receive all of Syracuse NY's stations with the ota module with programming info.

The good thing about the Dish OTA module is that it will scan in ALL OTA channels and you can set manual timers to record anything you want. My wife has about five manual timers set to record shows everyday from sub channels (ME, RTV, Antrenna TV, etc) that do not have guide info. We have one on both Hoppers. In our case worth the $30.

Up here in the Rochester NY area, between my Dma which is Rochester and Syracuse which I get with my ota, the only stations without epg info are ion, qubo and bounce. Every other subchannel has full epg info. That may deffer from what others have experienced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)