Hopper OTA Guide

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

CyberSpock

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 8, 2017
US
This isn't a new problem. I'd just like to understand why some OTA channels on the Hopper Guide don't show the schedule.

My television shows the current title of what is showing directly from the antenna on some channels, so I know at least that's being broadcast. But those same channels on the Hopper guide show nothing.

Emphasis, some OTA channels do show the full schedule.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

This isn't a new problem. I'd just like to understand why some OTA channels on the Hopper Guide don't show the schedule.

My television shows the current title of what is showing directly from the antenna on some channels, so I know at least that's being broadcast. But those same channels on the Hopper guide show nothing.

Emphasis, some OTA channels do show the full schedule.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Dish refuses to utilize PSIP data (that is sent with every OTA broadcast, which is why your TV sees it). Why they'll carry some OTA channels guide data but not others I don't think we've ever gotten a good answer for.

PSIP data is highly variable from station to station and is unreliable because it contains neither as much information as is needed nor is it as accurate as the faulty data provided by Rovi.

Neither cable companies nor any other linear TV provider (e.g. DirecTV) use PSIP.

I am not sure of the current FCC requirements but IIRC in the past Dish was only required to supply the programming data for the primary channel on an ATSC frequency.

PSIP data is highly variable from station to station and is unreliable because it contains neither as much information as is needed nor is it as accurate as the faulty data provided by Rovi.
So you prefer having NO data vs. limited data. That makes no sense to me, but if that's your choice, fine.

Neither cable companies nor any other linear TV provider (e.g. DirecTV) use PSIP.
I don't really care what other companies do because I don't subscribe to them.

I am not sure of the current FCC requirements but IIRC in the past Dish was only required to supply the programming data for the primary channel on an ATSC frequency.
Never said it was a requirement. It's definitely a choice though.

I'll say it once again. DISH is on a mission to get people to watch locals OTA to lower their subscription cost. They have a done a good job of integrating OTA into the guide. The natural thing to do would be to provide program info for those channels either via Rovi or PSIP data. TIVO uses Rovi and their OTA recevier has data for every channel/sub channel here that has data and that's alot of channels - about 62. (There are a couple that do not have any data to anyone in any form)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)