Hopper Plus and Harmony Elite

J_Smooth

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
Cedar Springs, MI
In case anyone has a Hopper Plus and a Harmony remote, I have an update after two troubleshooting calls with my Harmony Elite/Hub.

When I upgraded to the Hopper Plus, I noticed that my Harmony Elite remote had about 1/3 of its commands that no longer worked. Channel up/down, arrow up/down, record, pause would no longer work. All other commands work well, and those commands I just mentioned do work within the menu, guide or DVR, just not in live TV.

I'm sure I'm the guinea pig to spend two hours on the phone with support, but the issue is now escalated as they believe they will need to test with, and probably add the Hopper Plus as a separate device. I'll keep you posted, but if you experience this, it is likely a wait it out scenario. If you ARE able to get yours to work, please respond so I can update the ticket and also fix mine! :)

Early in The beta we were told they will not work. The only remotes that will fully work and be supported at the 54 remotes.

This is a change I do not like or agree with.
Agree, not many choices out there for universal remotes that work well with components in cabinets. I don't use channel up/down, so that's irrelevant. But the pause button, that's a need. I can get a IR repeater so the DISH remote can manage my AVR and become my primary remote. But longer term, they need to provide a fix. Seems simple?

Reactions: charlesrshell
I tried to teach it the DISH commands via hub and via remote connected to the computer, but they don't take. I'm putting low odds on Harmony and DISH working this out. I've gone the route of adding an IR transmitter/receiver into my cabinet so that the DISH remote is fully functional with a cabinet hidden AVR.

I tried to teach it the DISH commands via hub and via remote connected to the computer, but they don't take. I'm putting low odds on Harmony and DISH working this out. I've gone the route of adding an IR transmitter/receiver into my cabinet so that the DISH remote is fully functional with a cabinet hidden AVR.
I am trying the learning function just maybe. I hate the 54.0 remote

Good luck and maybe you can figure out something I couldn't. Truly, it's just the pause button and I would consider it fully functional. I don't need channel up/down when I have 50 favorites. And those other buttons DO work within menu, home, DVR, etc, just not in live TV.

What do you hate about it?? Other than anything that relates to the Harmony
I have grown to accept most of it. A skin will make it easier to hold onto it. I still have to look to find a button. My BIG problem is skipping commercials as in fast forward. The 30 sec skip hangs up. The old 40.0 I could rapidly hit it 4x and it would skip 2 minutes. Holding to fast forward takes too long and can't stop in time blowing past the point you wanted. I have not even figured out slow motion if it even does it. All this and the Plus has its lag response time which is making my learning curve a nightmare!

When I first got my two Hopper3 receivers I paired the 40 Remote, 52 Remote, and 54 Remote to both Hopper3 receivers. I never really used the 52 Remote. At first I primarily used the 40 remotes since I was very familiar with them. I started using the 54 Remote more and more as time progressed. Now I only use the 54 remote. Once you get used to it you will love the 54.
1) It is backlit which is great in dark rooms
2) The voice search is great.
3) I also use Alexa to control my Hopper3 receivers. Alexa allows me to control while exercising on my treadmill.

OK, now I'm intrigued after spending a few hours on the phone with Harmony support. Have you tried the record, pause and channel up/down buttons specifically? Those are dead on my Elite, all other DISH commands work fine.
I have figured out why the remote learning doesn't work. Using an IR security camera, I was able to verify the 40.0 and newer doesn't use IR for any Hopper functions at all even if you have them turned on. The IR only works for TV! I tried an older 21.0 remote that does put out IR for all functions BUT it doesn't work on the Hopper. The Plus box doesn't have an IR receiver it uses the Hopper. I am still working on it.

I have figured out why the remote learning doesn't work. Using an IR security camera, I was able to verify the 40.0 and newer doesn't use IR for any Hopper functions at all even if you have them turned on. The IR only works for TV! I tried an older 21.0 remote that does put out IR for all functions BUT it doesn't work on the Hopper. The Plus box doesn't have an IR receiver it uses the Hopper. I am still working on it.

I have grown to accept most of it. A skin will make it easier to hold onto it. I still have to look to find a button. My BIG problem is skipping commercials as in fast forward. The 30 sec skip hangs up. The old 40.0 I could rapidly hit it 4x and it would skip 2 minutes. Holding to fast forward takes too long and can't stop in time blowing past the point you wanted. I have not even figured out slow motion if it even does it. All this and the Plus has its lag response time which is making my learning curve a nightmare!
There are skins for those remotes but those issues are not native to the remote, they're Hopper issues, sadly

I have two 21.0 remotes and they work good for the Hopper 3. However they do not work with the H+ setup.

Reactions: Josephinelcajon
I spent quite a bit of time with Logitech support and they couldn't resolve the issue. Maybe they will update the Harmony with the Plus commands at some point. I use the DISH remote for all now and only use the Harmony to switch to a PS5 input and turn on/off some lights. I added a transmitter unit off Amazon to control the volume on my AVR with the DISH remote, and it handles 98% of what we do. Time to retire the Harmony anyway with Logitech pulling the plug.