Hopper Plus Inquiry

Snoozer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Except for a switch to Direct TV for a year, I've been a DISH customer since they began in 1996 (still have 3 Dish and 1 Hughes receivers in my garage). My kids have been bugging me to cut the cord, and gave me a firestick for my BD. I called Dish to cancel, and they offered me a sweet deal of $50 mo.off for 12 months with no contract (says I'm a VIP customer bla,bla,bla ) They also want to upgrade my Hopper 3 and wired Joey 3 to their latest equipment, a Hopper Plus (says I won't need the firestick anymore) and a wireless Joey.
  • From what I'm able to gather by browsing this site, I keep my Hopper 3 and they give me a USB device for the other apps that replaces my need for a firestick. Is that right?
  • The wireless Joey will allow me to relocate the box to another location (that can still provide a signal).
  • I've also read that there's some takeaways when you switch to the Plus. Is that true and what are they specifically?
As always, I'm grateful for this forum, and its members who've helped me out from time to time over the years. In my earlier days I was the one who always was on the leading edge of electronics (I took a High School class in 1958 that was called "Radio and Television repairman of the future) and was also one of the first 55 inch Pioneer Plasma owners ($10,000) when they first came out. The electronic world has changed a lot since then.

Except for a switch to Direct TV for a year, I've been a DISH customer since they began in 1996 (still have 3 Dish and 1 Hughes receivers in my garage). My kids have been bugging me to cut the cord, and gave me a firestick for my BD. I called Dish to cancel, and they offered me a sweet deal of $50 mo.off for 12 months with no contract (says I'm a VIP customer bla,bla,bla ) They also want to upgrade my Hopper 3 and wired Joey 3 to their latest equipment, a Hopper Plus (says I won't need the firestick anymore) and a wireless Joey.
  • From what I'm able to gather by browsing this site, I keep my Hopper 3 and they give me a USB device for the other apps that replaces my need for a firestick. Is that right?
  • The wireless Joey will allow me to relocate the box to another location (that can still provide a signal).
  • I've also read that there's some takeaways when you switch to the Plus. Is that true and what are they specifically?
As always, I'm grateful for this forum, and its members who've helped me out from time to time over the years. In my earlier days I was the one who always was on the leading edge of electronics (I took a High School class in 1958 that was called "Radio and Television repairman of the future) and was also one of the first 55 inch Pioneer Plasma owners ($10,000) when they first came out. The electronic world has changed a lot since then.
The Firestick is better
Yes on the Wireless, but range needs to be taken into consideration
The Takeaways are that it's new technology and very glitchy at this point

Reactions: charlesrshell
The Firestick is better
Yes on the Wireless, but range needs to be taken into consideration
The Takeaways are that it's new technology and very glitchy at this point
We swapped out a Fire Cube on a second input for the Plus, and have been happy with the move. The Fire Cube's home screen was a pain to navigate compared to the integrated DISH/apps interface on the Plus. Others have had more issues than we've had, but we've had a good experience. Only frustration is the slow skip forward/backward response on the remote, which hopefully will be resolved soon.