Hopper Poll#2

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Check all that apply. What is holding you back from a Hopper implementation?

• Total voters
I marked 'Other' (along with no OTA and the fee structure) as I would want to control the one Joey from 2 separate remotes and it appears that can't be done. Otherwise I would split the signal from one Joey to the kitchen and bedroom as I do today with TV2 from my 722 and be able to use a remote in either location for that one Joey. Neither of those TVs are used enough to justify any additional fees for me...so sticking with my 722.

Checkout the http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-zone/277994-hopper-remotes.html thread it looks like you can have at least three remotes on a Joey.

odbrv said:
Current customer fees of $100 install , $199 for 2nd hopper, no OTA, no Hopper integration,and too high monthy fees make this a no for me. When all the technology is working and the up front costs disappear, I might buy in if I can afford the fees.

+1

No OTA as of right now and no 2 hopper integration will most likely hold me back.

For us though, TV just isn't as important in our lives as it used to be. I would like to have integration of our receivers as it would be nice, but I also have to weigh the costs and say to myself is this really a need to right now?

Fees are the big one.
Currently with a 722k and a 622, I have 4 tv's with independent viewing and 6 tuners (including the OTA). An AT200, that works out to 92.99/month, $33 in fees above the AT200 cost. Granted, only two of the 4 TV's get HD.
A similar config for the Hopper would be 2 hoppers and 2 joeys, giving me 6 tuners (lost ota, but prime time thing will work) and 4 independent viewing. I bump up to HD for all 4, plus some other features, and fees go up to $41. Will the new stuff be worth the extra $8 per month? I guess we'll hear from the early adopters. I can't justify it personally.

I'd swap my 722k/612/211k setup for 2 hoppers and a joey if it wasn't for the $199 2nd hopper fee. I'd also switch to a hopper/joey/722k setup id E* allowed it. I'm disappointed that they aren't allowing mixed setups even though they have the equipment to do them and have shown setup diagrams for them.

Fees are the big one.
Currently with a 722k and a 622, I have 4 tv's with independent viewing and 6 tuners (including the OTA). An AT200, that works out to 92.99/month, $33 in fees above the AT200 cost. Granted, only two of the 4 TV's get HD.
A similar config for the Hopper would be 2 hoppers and 2 joeys, giving me 6 tuners (lost ota, but prime time thing will work) and 4 independent viewing. I bump up to HD for all 4, plus some other features, and fees go up to $41. Will the new stuff be worth the extra $8 per month? I guess we'll hear from the early adopters. I can't justify it personally.

I'm not seeing your math am I mising a fee?.
First Hopper $10 (DVR fee and whole house fee) another hopper and two Joey's $21. Total = $31?? not $41? Actually less than you pay now?
And you will gain a tuner (or two one for each hopper) when the OTA comes out......

Tampa8 said:
First Hopper $10 (DVR fee and whole house fee) another hopper and two Joey's $21. Total = $31?? not $41? Actually less than you pay now?
And you will gain a tuner (or two one for each hopper) when the OTA comes out......

It would actually be $25 monthly for 2 hoppers and two joeys. Remember the first hopper is expected to be free. You cannot factor the dvr fee as he is already paying that.

In my situation, I only have the 722k. I have 2 HDTV's but one of them is on SD. I would love to get the second one on HD and I did ask about getting a 211k, but I did not want to lose the abilitiy of viewing recorded programming on the 2nd TV. So, I was waiting for the Hopper/Joey to come along. When the fee pricing came out, I was not too happy that my DVR service fee is going to go from $6/month to $17/month. I do like the PTA feature on the Hopper. Kinda looks like Hulu on steroids. I do like the look of the guide as well and the ability to add apps to the Hopper. Also, give HD to the second TV. I started to look at comparisions. The only cable company I can compare Dish to is Time Warner Cable. I am unable to get DirecTV at my house because of line of sight problems. Here is what Time Warner Cable charges:

Whole House DVR Service (Server)$19.99 ea/mo
plus equipment
Whole House Playback Receiver$10.35 ea/mo

So, when you compare TWC with Dish. The fees that Dish has is not that bad. Also, there DVR beats TWC's hands down!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_H View Post
Fees are the big one.

I confused with everyone's math here... Shouldn't a 722 and a 622 have fees of $17 + $6 DVR fee = $23? Two Hoppers and Two Joeys = 1 Hopper $7 + 2 Joeys $14 + $6 DVR + $4 Whole Home fee = $31 in fees. You must have an extra $10 fee in their for something. Either way, yes your bill would be $8 more per month.

Last edited:
Comcast here is $16.95 for the first DVR ($9.95 HD + $7 DVR). $16.95 for any additional DVR. $9.95 for any additional non-DVR box. No charge for TVs hooked up without a box, but you'll only get the limited in the clear channels.

Dish fees - VIP or H/J - are a bargain in comparison.

In my situation, I only have the 722k. I have 2 HDTV's but one of them is on SD. I would love to get the second one on HD and I did ask about getting a 211k, but I did not want to lose the abilitiy of viewing recorded programming on the 2nd TV. So, I was waiting for the Hopper/Joey to come along. When the fee pricing came out, I was not too happy that my DVR service fee is going to go from $6/month to $17/month. I do like the PTA feature on the Hopper. Kinda looks like Hulu on steroids. I do like the look of the guide as well and the ability to add apps to the Hopper. Also, give HD to the second TV. I started to look at comparisions. The only cable company I can compare Dish to is Time Warner Cable. I am unable to get DirecTV at my house because of line of sight problems. Here is what Time Warner Cable charges:

Whole House DVR Service (Server)$19.99 ea/mo
plus equipment
Whole House Playback Receiver$10.35 ea/mo

So, when you compare TWC with Dish. The fees that Dish has is not that bad. Also, there DVR beats TWC's hands down!!!!!

You will not lose the capabilty to view your DVR by switching the TV2 to a 211k. Diplex the 722k TV2 distribution with the sat feed coming into the new 211k. This not only gives you HD feed to TV2 but still gives you access to your 722k. This is how I accomplished the task and it works great!

Sorry, I did the math once, but can't get it back... It looks a little different now. I'll spell it out. (figured it out, I was including the Blockbuster Home thing in the fee column, inflating the amounts by $10. Still a 8 dollar difference)

722k +622 has fees of:
HDDuo $17.00 + DVR $6 = 23

Two joeys + 2 Hoppers has fees of:
DVR $6 + Whole House DVR $4 + 3 Additional Outlet Fees $7 * 3 ($21) = 31

A difference of $8.00 ($96 per year)

I would imagine a big reason for many people is Dish' history of releasing crippled and buggy products out of the gate. Quite often, they do end up being great. But, almost as often, they end up being abandoned before ever fulfilling their own marketing hype. The recent 922 is a perfect example of that. The 921 is another. 811. 942. And so on.

So, I'm going to wait to see what the suck...umm...early adopters have to say before taking the plunge. I'm definitely not one of those idiots that lines up outside a store the night before to buy some buggy gadget on the first day of release. Although, I did get my Galaxy Nexus within the first few weeks it was out.

I would imagine a big reason for many people is Dish' history of releasing crippled and buggy products out of the gate. Quite often, they do end up being great. But, almost as often, they end up being abandoned before ever fulfilling their own marketing hype. The recent 922 is a perfect example of that. The 921 is another. 811. 942. And so on.

So, I'm going to wait to see what the suck...umm...early adopters have to say before taking the plunge. I'm definitely not one of those idiots that lines up outside a store the night before to buy some buggy gadget on the first day of release. Although, I did get my Galaxy Nexus within the first few weeks it was out.

I do not see myself rushing out on the 15th to buy this thing. I think that the software on the 922 works well now, but with the Hopper there is not a backup plan. When I first got my 922 I kept all my timers on a 622 also, so at least when the early buggy 922 would miss timers, my 622 would catch them. With the Hopper exclusivity requirement that option is eliminated.

I am interested in the Hopper, but I see it as an April or May upgrade to be sure that it works before I give up all my current working hardware.

Wow, suprised that OTA is that big. I know it's a deal breaker for me. I'm concerned that since it unavailable at the start we may never see it.

Wow, suprised that OTA is that big. I know it's a deal breaker for me. I'm concerned that since it unavailable at the start we may never see it.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm pretty sure they'll push that out the door later this year.

When you have satellite , you have to have ota, IF it is possible in your area with an antenna. When there is bad weather , your receiver will still work on an ota channel. When we had a hurricane that snuck up on us in the night back in 07, guess what worked at 3:30 in the morning to tell us what was going on? Plus there are all kinds of sub channels that ota has that satellite does not and will not ever have. Metv is one that I truly love and I record quite a lot off this channel on my DISH dtv pal plus dvr. Also anyone that is a "mover" needs to be able to see local news on the ota channels. There are quite a lot of people who do this to be able to have all their networks in hd ,including Cw.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)