Hopper Poll#2

Check all that apply. What is holding you back from a Hopper implementation?

• Total voters

dare2be

SatelliteGuys God
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 15, 2011
FL
If you aren't ready to "hop" to the Hopper when it is released, what is holding you back? Check all that apply.

Hopefully I got all the major concerns listed that have been mentioned here since the retailer chat.

Last edited:
LOL - even though you're joking, I edited my first post. :D

I really like my OTA, so that's holding me back a bit. however, I currenty have 3 tuners, so I wouldn't be losing any there, and PTAT sounds pretty good, maybe negating the need for the OTA tuner. (Quality-wise, I know OTA is better, but none of it is as good as blu ray, so not a big deal to me.)

As for the fees, I don't really like the 1st Joey fee, and I'm really unhappy with the whole home fee, even if you just have a single Hopper and no Joey's.

Don't like the fees for 1st Joey, or the whole home fee if I only have the Hopper w/out any Joeys.
I own my own 722 so the no hybrid system obsoletes my investment.

As for the "Others"
Coax only to communicate between Hopper and Joeys. I would have liked the ability to use Cat5, WiFi or Homeplug ethernet to connect the devices.
I also would like component outputs on the Joey as my 2nd TV is not HDCP capable and DVI/HDMI can prove useless.
And finally no RF is a bit of a disappointment, I know that an RF modulator is cheap (I already have one) but it just ads more cables, more power adapters, etc.

Strangely, I'm still on the fence about Hopper, though. Despite it's (in my opinion) serious shortcomings, I like the 3 tuner / PTAT capabilities and the UI.

Miner

Dang! I only voted for "no mix of vip receivers" by itself before I saw the "second account for tailgator". Dang! In your head please add one for me to the tailgator tally. Dang!

Besides no OTA & no integration, I'll wait for being able to set a manual timer from the STB.

And, too bad it's not on the list (can't think of everything), another thing that will give me pause is the likelihood of losing my grandfathered "no locals" status.

I want to switch from DirecTV to Dish as I hate there guide. All I ask for is the same features.

1) OTA USB Dual Tuner- with out this I will be missing 17 Local channels and sub channels that are NOT on DISH. DirecTV has a Dual USB tuner.

2) Hopper Integration- today I have 3 HD DVRs they are all integrated I can see recording from any DVR. I need 6 Tuners like I have today all integrated.
In any household with 3 or more people having One Hopper will not be enough if PrimeTime anywhere is turned on.

3) NEWS and SPORTS mix channels- Can show 8 channels at once. Dish really does not have this. They have something that can show Six channels at once but it changes all the time.
Since Dish has a 6 channel Mix technology but do not use it correctly, why dont they go all the way and have a dedicated NEWS, Sports Mix. They could beat out DireCTV if they added a
KIDS, Comedy, HBO, and Movie mix

4) Local Weather on the 8s- Dish has Weather scan which will beat out Weather on the 8's but it is only in beta testing at a couple of cities (see other thread with Video example included).

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-forum/277671-weather-channel-weather-scan-2.html

Nice poll dare2be.No ota,fee structure,and no mixing of vip are the biggest drawbacks for me.

Direct's HD guide is pretty to look at, but besides that is the same as the old one minus a few features like PIG trickplay, double-dash delete, etc. I think they blew a great opportunity to add features like Dish's 3 hr x 7 chan view.

Regarding two hoppers, integrated or not, I have a gut feeling that some people, especially those who record a lot of network, might find one will do just fine in reality, even though 6 tuners on paper seems better. If not, then shell out the bucks and add on. That's my plan IF I go that route.

Regarding two hoppers, integrated or not, I have a gut feeling that some people, especially those who record a lot of network, might find one will do just fine in reality, even though 6 tuners on paper seems better. If not, then shell out the bucks and add on. That's my plan IF I go that route.

Didn't you mean to say "Why do we need another poll"? :rolleyes::)

Current customer fees of $100 install , $199 for 2nd hopper, no OTA, no Hopper integration,and too high monthy fees make this a no for me. When all the technology is working and the up front costs disappear, I might buy in if I can afford the fees.

I marked 'Other' (along with no OTA and the fee structure) as I would want to control the one Joey from 2 separate remotes and it appears that can't be done. Otherwise I would split the signal from one Joey to the kitchen and bedroom as I do today with TV2 from my 722 and be able to use a remote in either location for that one Joey. Neither of those TVs are used enough to justify any additional fees for me...so sticking with my 722.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)