Hopper pricing

You're right, it shouldn't be discussed. It makes it hard to discuss what a person's cost will be to upgrade though. We like to give customers a general price and tell them I won't know until I look up their account to see what they qualify for.

Without discussing a particular customer's details why should the general topic about criteria for various classifications be verboten?

Last edited:
Talking about it brings up a bunch of questions like these and none of us has the answers. I understand that there needs to be different classifications for each customer but I wish there was an easier way. I'm not sure if there is.

schermann:

The catch here, is that without some transparency it's hard not to think that the distinction between class A and B is arbitrary and context dependent.

While I agree that no topic should be "verboten," I think the broader point is that status or criteria for the Plan A, B, C, etc,. is FLUID, and Dish most likely changes them quite often when they fell like it and to publish what criteria is TODAY will only lead to confusion, disappointment, and anger when the criteria will change next month or next week.

The best we thing is for us to call and ask for what we qualify, IMHO. But certainly we ought to be free to discuss even if Dish will never answer the questions.

If open discussion is what people want. What sacrifices would you make? Would you foot the bill for your equipment & install for a 180 days? Better yet would you do the same for a complete stranger? These are serious questions & not meant to be a joke. The bottom line is most people will have similar pricing & for a few it will be different. You don't know until you call & upgrade.

Depends on the definition of "most". "Most" people here are higher-end users. It'd be interesting to see what % of customers are one-receiver DVR customers.

Oh, sorry, you're talking about the one-time upgrade fees, and not the monthly fees. My bad.

I would foot the bill for the upgrade fees if my monthly fees were in line with what I pay now.

The exact formula that Dish uses to classify its existing customers, as stated previously, seems to be a well guarded secret. As far as the A,B or C ratings go, these are not much of a secret. Page 1 of the upgrade agreement that the customers sign, states whether the customer is a Plan A, B or C customer. For upgrade pricing purposes, there is little difference between the top 2 tiers. For those that fall in the bottom tier or lower, there is usually a good reason for it and most aren't suprised.

I suspect A vs B is a formula based on:

1. Service level - more you pay the better, probably carries the most weight
2. pay bills on time/CC autopay probably really helps.
3. Length of service
4. Credit for not getting stuff from Dish - in other words you have not used them a lot for discounted equipment/programming. If you are constantely trying to get freebie equipment/programming you are less valuable. I would suspect even a minimal sub like AT120 only that has not gotten anything in a long time would build up a lot of credit.

I suspect that they have a nice formula that only a few at Dish really know (probably less than 20 people), and that they adjust every now and then based on long term trends.

It is essentially how most businesses run. Loyal customers are treated best, but those that are always a pain can be downgraded. No use encouraging the problem customer to stay with you.

I have no argument. I just personally feel it is unprofessional to speak in terms that only retailers and dish use to get paid by & grade customers.

I suspect A vs B is a formula based on:

1. Service level - more you pay the better, probably carries the most weight
2. pay bills on time/CC autopay probably really helps.
3. Length of service
4. Credit for not getting stuff from Dish - in other words you have not used them a lot for discounted equipment/programming. If you are constantely trying to get freebie equipment/programming you are less valuable. I would suspect even a minimal sub like AT120 only that has not gotten anything in a long time would build up a lot of credit.

I suspect that they have a nice formula that only a few at Dish really know (probably less than 20 people), and that they adjust every now and then based on long term trends.

It is essentially how most businesses run. Loyal customers are treated best, but those that are always a pain can be downgraded. No use encouraging the problem customer to stay with you.

Absolutely. I only hope that Dish effectively does the portion of your post that I bolded.

I'm over 10 years, haven't gotten many freebies, have turned down a few, brought them customers (more than they know about), and pay over $100 per month. But I don't buy many PPV, and I think that downgrades me to B.

Depends on the definition of "most". "Most" people here are higher-end users. It'd be interesting to see what % of customers are one-receiver DVR customers.....

I'd love to know, also. The last I remember being posted, was that most people, by a comfortable margin, didn't even have a DVR. I think most, at that time, didn't have HD. How many have more than one or two receivers? I read a lot here about people complaining about the cost to equip each child in the household with their own DVR. Gee. Must be nice. I daresay we must be in the higher income brackets, mostly. I doubt that the majority of Dish customers actually provide each kid with their own HDTV & DVR. Watch TV. If you kids don't like what's on, go do your homework. OK, maybe the kids win a few of the "what's on TV" argument. Or, I'll bet this outnumbers the one per kid, one for the parents, and one for the kids, en masse.

Ba-nana "speculate", fo-fana-fana ....(let your imagination carry on...providing your old enough).:D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts