Hopper programing? Still get VelocityHD for free?

MR2NR

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
In your Hotwheels BIN
So I'm ready to start new service and have had both Direct and Dish for 2 years each under different roommates names. I liked Velocity being free on Dish under the 120 as a TEST HD channel (couldn't really record anything but they run so many shows over and over its easy to catch them lol). But Direct will save me more money as I only have two TV's and don't really care about sports I just want more HD channels. So my question is there still a Velocity fed HD TEST channel on the hopper with Americas Top120? If they have abandoned the Velocity fed HD Test channel I might as well get Direct has it will save me more money over two years.

I am a gear head and would like BBC America as well for old Top Gear episodes as well lol. I stream the newest episodes on torrents anyways but it would be nice :) So if you have any tips for me on which provider I would be most happy with LMK but Ill put a Provider debate post in the general forum.

Need you to explain "But Direct will save me more money as I only have two TV's and don't really care about sports I just want more HD channels." How did you arrive at that? Did you mix your terms Direct and Dish?

well more hd channels is subjective.
directv has been adding, dish has been removing
they are about equal, but different

look at the channel linups for the packages you want, and see whats in there you want

dont bank on a text channel that may or may not be in that package a couple of months from now if its a must have channel

I get Velocity HD with their Bronze HD only package. I have no idea what they call it now since the names change so often.

OK read about four pages into that and decided hmmmm that really didn't answer my question either so lets dumb this down. Does Dish give you channel 5710 when you get a new Hopper with Americas top 120 and FREE HD for Life? The only answer I want is YES or NO.

Tampa8 said:
I have it on my Western Arc, not on my Eastern arc. Channel 5710.

Same here. Hoppers on WA get 5710. 722k on EA does not. When I put the 722k on WA it has it though. That test channel has been that way for years. Never seen it on EA. IIRC it has (had?) to do with Discovery Networks requiring cable/satellite providers to provide HDNet (now Velocity) free of charge to everyone with HD equipment. So of course to get away with putting HDNet in a package you have to pay for, Dish came up with the "TEST" channel to meet those requirements while putting the "real" channel into a package you have to pay for.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

I figured this would be an easy question???....
If it were an easy question, it wouldn't have taken a whole paragraph to ask. ;)

Many of us subscribe to packages that include Velocity so we're not sure. Then there's the difference between the Eastern US and Western US that use different satellites.

The equipment doesn't change what's available as long as the equipment supports HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts