Hopper PTA

TFLeonard

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
I was reading a review of the Hopper on another website and it mentions that the Hopper records all of its PTA programming from one transponder. Does anyone know if this single transponder is available everywhere? What satellite is it on?

Although I can get SD locals without trouble, the HD versions are all spot beamed. I'm almost switching to DirecTV to get around this but if the Hopper single transponder approach solves the problem, that might be a better option. Any clues?

it only records the HD version of the locals you sub to

no HD locals in market? sorry wont work
"moved" and are too far outside spot beam? sorry wont work

I was reading a review of the Hopper on another website and it mentions that the Hopper records all of its PTA programming from one transponder. Does anyone know if this single transponder is available everywhere? What satellite is it on?

Although I can get SD locals without trouble, the HD versions are all spot beamed. I'm almost switching to DirecTV to get around this but if the Hopper single transponder approach solves the problem, that might be a better option. Any clues?

You have to be able to get your local HD channels in order for PTAT to work. Most locals are on a spotbeam on both Dish and Directv though. You should be able to get your locals in HD no problem if Dish carries them and you haven't "moved" to get other locals. The spotbeams are designed to cover the area the locals are from.

That's too bad, I guess I'll have to keep getting them from cable. It seems like such a waste especially since you can get most of the stuff over the internet now through DishHome/Blockbuster/Hulu. I was just hoping to consolidate my DVRing into one box.

There is a chance Directv has them even though Dish doesn't. There is also a chance Dish has them but you aren't on the right arc. My original installer put me on the western arc even though Flint only has SD locals on that arc. Once I realized what was wrong I had them come back and switch me to the eastern arc and got my HD locals. What is your zip code?

I know DirecTV has them, its just that I don't want two satelite services on top of cable. I'm a TV nut but not that crazy! Dish switched me to the Western Arc for some reason, and I have to say except for the locals, things have improved receptionwise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)