Hopper Rebooting

larrykenney

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Four times in the past couple of weeks my Hopper has rebooted on its own. We've been watching a program on the DVR at the time, during Prime Time, but it happens at random times, not when new recordings are starting or ending.

The Hopper spends about 5 minutes going through the reset process, and does not re-start the recordings that were in progress when it comes back to life. It does start recording the next show to come up.

Any ideas as to what's going on and anything I can do to fix the problem? We've missed parts of several shows that were in the process of being recorded, and we've had to reload the program we were watching and get back to where we were when it rebooted.

This is my third Hopper with Sling. The hard drives have failed on the previous two. I'm beginning to think that the Hopper isn't that stable and reliable and it might be time to go back to a 722.

Larry
San Francisco

Do you have your Hopper in a closed cabinet with glass doors ? IF you don't allow ventilation around the hopper it will over heat and cause rebooting. Any DISH sat receiver will do this if no air to the receiver. That is what I found when I moved my hopper into a new cabinet with glass doors and it rebooted like crazy every couple of hours.

Larry, do you have your Ho's on a UPS? If not, I would strongly consider getting one; I SWEAR by them & have always had them for ALL my DVR's for many years now. I've had a variety of DVR's on UPS (DISH, DirecTV, Comcast, Tivo's, etc.) & frankly, I've had VERY few problems like this with any of them when I had them on UPS. It doesn't have to be a fancy one; even the cheap $30-$50 UPS's are a big help in keeping them stable. (just like it does with any PC or server)

With this being said...I DO agree that these Ho's STILL have some "quirks" like this...but I still believe a UPS at least helps to keep them to a minimum...

It could be over heating

I had the same problem a few months ago after i added a Cooler Master Notepad X-Slim it resolved the problem, Hopper hasn't rebooted again

My Hopper is sitting on a glass shelf, part of the TV stand, under the TV. There's a DVD Blue Ray player sitting next to it, but there's no enclosure. The sides, front and back are open.

As for using a UPS, I haven't noticed any flicker of the lights or loss of power to the TV when the reboot occurs. Maybe there's a spike coming down the line that is causing the problem. I have an old UPS, so I'll put it in line and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Larry

I think you have a bad Hopper. I see you had other ones go bad and your stand has open ventilation. Mine started the rebooting thing and after a while all my DVR recordings disappeared. I got a replacement and also 3 months of Cinemax free for my inconvience. I just think you had a run of bad luck with Hoppers.

My HWS was doing the same thing. I added a pc fan underneath the HWS and have not had the problem since. My HWS was not overheating though. The high temp was 118, low was 105, and average was 113. I had a small fan on the side, but obviously that did not help. I have my home theater system on two APC UPSs. So, a surge should not have been a problem either. After adding the fan my average temp went down to 111, with no change in the low or high.

I don't feel that you have to buy a fan if your Hopper is well ventilated. The Hopper already has a fan.

I already had the pc fan. It was just laying in my pc junk box unused. I have not had any reboots since I added the pc fan, even though my temp readings were not even high. I still have the fan on the side also, but switched t it to the side of the HWS that has more vents. I normally watch 3-5 hours of tv each evening, but on Sunday the HWS was on from noon until 10PM because of Football with no reboots.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts