VIP 612 updated software

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
My 612's had a software update sometime over the last three days.

The only real change I can determine is when both Sat tuners are in use or the OTA tuner. If you try to watch another Sat channel (Or in the case of OTA another OTA channel) in the past it said you would stop the recording of whatever tuner you were on, do want to proceed... It now has a menu of things you can do, including going to your DVR.

Menu items are faster, but the guide seems to take just a little longer to appear. I also think when in the guide the screen on the top right might be little bigger. Something about it is a little different...
If there are other changes I haven't seen them.

Reactions: TheKrell
I actually hope they didn't change much, my receivers have been solid for a long time now.

Knock on wood......
15_10_2.gif

Reactions: TheKrell
With EVERY software update with DISH ,there is the potential for some new features added and some new bugs that break older things that worked on the receiver.

My hopper hasn't been able to do name based recording for ota sub channels since the May update 6months ago. To me this is unacceptable. I use the sub channels and having to set manual timers is a throw back to my old VCR days. I haven't used a vcr since 2000. In fact, I threw away all my old vcrs in 2005, when I cleaned out my house after Hurricane Rita. In 2014 you shouldn't have to do this anymore. Further more,the 722k receiver on my second account and 211k on my third account ,still works for name based ota sub channel recording. But your cutting edge flagship receiver the Hopper, doesn't function as well as your older VIP receiver.

Maybe that is why they dropped VIP off the title when they came out with the Hopper. Because we aren't as important as the subs who had the VIP class receivers. Oh, but I do have a lot of hopper applications, I don't need ,that sometimes work ,sometimes don't if you do bring them up. Great trade off. :mad:

Reactions: Nominal
The newest update is supposedly suppose to fix the ota KPI. Fingers crossed. So, anyone know what the ViP and XiP actually stand for in relation to dish?

Well the Vip was the class of receivers that included the 622/722/722k/922 receivers and XIP 813 was for the hopper . But they changed their mind about numbering the hopper like that and went with just the Hopper 2000 and now the Hopper with sling.

Correct. I can't remember what the XiP stands for, but I do remember joe Clayton saying it was something to do with it being moca. Anything MoCA will be XiP and anything just standard hd mpeg4 will be vip(which is why 922 is a vip and not a XiP)

I thought VIP meant "Video over IP". I have no clue what XIP was supposed to stand for.
This is correct. The ViP series was named such as it was Dish's first receiver to have IP access.

I guess XiP was just because it sounded cool.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Apparently, "x" means MoCA... Lol at least in dish world it does. I still want to see the "wallaby", a non dvr multi tuner whole home receiver. It would be the comparison to the hopper, just like the 222 is to the 722. Could even give it a cutesy name like hopper, we'll call it Rocko

What's wrong with "wallaby"? They're cute!
Correct. I can't remember what the XiP stands for, but I do remember joe Clayton saying it was something to do with it being moca. Anything MoCA will be XiP and anything just standard hd mpeg4 will be vip(which is why 922 is a vip and not a XiP)

And why the 411 was not a VIP receiver.

Edited to add: I have 705 as well.

Lol. Rocko was the wallaby in rockos modern life. And I am not sure. I have actually never seen a 411 in person or on any account I ever dealt with. Sad to say. I am uneducated on that specific product.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)