Hopper remote question. Composite out.

budda

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Oconomowoc
I am having the Hopper installed 2-22-14. 2 Hoppers, 2 Joeys. One of the Hoppers is going in my bedroom that will feed my daughters room ( Joey) and my bedroom. I will have a RF Modulator hooked up so I can feed a Sun-room,basement and garage. That will be SD composite. I bought 3 remotes off of Ebay to control those rooms. If I understand correctly all I have to do is set the address to the same as the bedroom correct? Thanks.

You don't set addresses on Hopper remotes. You link the remotes to the Hopper/Joey.

Last edited:
I am having the Hopper installed 2-22-14. 2 Hoppers, 2 Joeys. One of the Hoppers is going in my bedroom that will feed my daughters room ( Joey) and my bedroom. I will have a RF Modulator hooked up so I can feed a Sun-room,basement and garage. That will be SD composite. I bought 3 remotes off of Ebay to control those rooms. If I understand correctly all I have to do is set the address to the same as the bedroom correct? Thanks.

It's late so I may be missing something, but how would an RF modulator be used? Unless those other three rooms have older TV's that do not have direct composite inputs? And would you use the composite output connections from each Joey/Hopper to feed a dedicated extra TV? Or a bunch of Y connectors from one Joey or Hopper to the other three?

For me, I tapped into one of my Joeys to add an additional "fake" TV. Meaning, I have a Joey feeding my home theater in the basement via the HDMI output and then hooked the old tube TV we use in the workout area to the Joey's other output which is SD composite (found some old 50' composite cables to cover the distance). Don't care about video quality on the tube TV. But as you know, you'll only be able to watch on the "fake" TV whatever you are watching on the device it's hooked up to. For us, no one would ever need to use both the theater and workout TV at the same time so it works out fine.

It's late so I may be missing something, but how would an RF modulator be used? Unless those other three rooms have older TV's that do not have direct composite inputs? And would you use the composite output connections from each Joey/Hopper to feed a dedicated extra TV? Or a bunch of Y connectors from one Joey or Hopper to the other three?

For me, I tapped into one of my Joeys to add an additional "fake" TV. Meaning, I have a Joey feeding my home theater in the basement via the HDMI output and then hooked the old tube TV we use in the workout area to the Joey's other output which is SD composite (found some old 50' composite cables to cover the distance). Don't care about video quality on the tube TV. But as you know, you'll only be able to watch on the "fake" TV whatever you are watching on the device it's hooked up to. For us, no one would ever need to use both the theater and workout TV at the same time so it works out fine.

Here is how I have RF modulators in my system to get signal to older TVs. Three RF modulators are connected to three Hoppers. Modulator signal goes to all TVs by coax to a home distribution splitter with the exception of kid's room. His room has a Hopper with OTA module and rabbit ears. All TVs in my home with the exception of Kid's room have a choice of three Hoppers to view. This works out great for all TVs that do not have a Hopper or Joey and also all TVs (including TVs that have a Hopper or Joey) can sync to each other to view a recording together with the exception of kid's room. His room only has one Hopper coax that can't be diplexed. See diagram for how I have it rigged up. Diagram is current with the exception of Kid's room now has OTA module with rabbit ears.

HopperDiagram-PriJPEG-PTAT.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)