Hopper S212 Feedback and Issues

CRFTony said:
The past 2 days, my Hopper has been recording all kinds of "old" programs. All of my timers are set to record new programs only, but it's taped old episodes of Pawn Stars, American Pickers, Deadliest Catch, Fact or Fiction, just to name a few.

I have this same problem with my 722k. My morning ritual is to skip all the repeated shows, sometimes 5 or 6 shows all with generic show info. I was really hoping the Hopper/Joey system would fix this as it is getting VERY old.

I still have random audio drop outs on one of my Joeys. I have a 1 Hopper, 2 Joey setup. The Joey connected via HDMI to an Emerson 40" LCD randomly drops audio. I have to power cycle the TV to get audio back. It is a random drop; it could drop after 5 minutes or 45 minutes or not at all. It doesn't matter what channel either. I have replaced the Joey, HDMI cable, and tested all 3 HDMI ports on the TV. Still same problem. IT did not happen on the 211k I used to have.

Need to add EHD programs to Dishonline and allow the Sling adapter to play them back. The 722K I had this capability and it was fabulous!!

Update: I changed the audio output from Dolby/PCM to PCM only and that seems to have fixed the issue on the Joey dropping out. This is not an issue on the Joey in the bedroom, however, would be a serious problem if it was connected to a surround sound. I will update further over the next few days.

I have had several instances of recordings being affected one way or another that renders them not able to be watched. The most recent was two recordings from simultaneous timers ending early like the event was at the end and finished. This was only about 10 minutes into 30 minutes of recorded program. This and others like it along with Desperate Housewives going "poof" make me less than confident that the system is reliable for DVR service. I have never had another Dish DVR do these things.

Additional info: I've had three shows today stop after having played 10-15% of the indicated full recording. Not acceptable in my book for the money I pay.

Last edited:
The past 2 days, my Hopper has been recording all kinds of "old" programs. All of my timers are set to record new programs only, but it's taped old episodes of Pawn Stars, American Pickers, Deadliest Catch, Fact or Fiction, just to name a few.

Same here, since this week or so only. Seems as though it is only on off network programs tho (TBS, USA, HIST, TNT, etc) so far the big four are ok.

Were there storms during the recordings that could have caused the signal to be lost?

There was nothing weather wise that should have caused a dropped signal. My second Hopper didn't show any of these anomalies.

The Hopper was acting really slow navigating menus and just being sluggish all around, like it has been occasionally with the recent sw updates.

By the way, the Weather Channel app is nearly useless on Joeys (yes even on S264.) Half of the time it says "Temporarily Unavailable" and the other half it loads up, then a big gray screen pops up saying "Data Unavailable, press OK to exit app" and it forces you out. On the Hoppers about 25% of the time it says "Temporarily Unavailable" as well, but the Hoppers are definitely more reliable than the Joeys with the app.

EDIT: Changed S263 to S264

Last edited:
I'm having a problem with On Demand on all 3 of my Joeys. I have ethernet directly connected to both of my hoppers. On demand works great on both hoppers. I can access on demand on the joeys and select a show but as soon as I click watch now it says I'm not connected to the internet and the show won't play. I can then see the show I selected in the my rentals section of the DVR. If I try to play it from a joey while it is still downloading I get the same not connected to internet error and it won't play. However, as soon as it is done downloading (usually after 15 to 20 minutes) I can now play it from my joeys.

This was happening before I got 212 on my hoppers and it is still happening. I'm not sure which version I was on when I first noticed the problem.

My internet is obviously working on the hoppers or it wouldn't download. I have no connections to my joeys besides coax and HDMI out to the TVs. I was told that the joeys would get internet from the hoppers they were linked to but my joeys seem to think they aren't connected.

I don't have an easy way to get ethernet to any of my joeys or I would try plugging them in directly as well.

Was watching a program on my sd tv with a Joey and all of a sudden I got the following error 890

I was on a hbo channel

Found out:
We had a hd tv attached to the Joey as well as an rf modulator to feed the sds we still have, if I turned on the hd tv or unplug the hdmi cable the message goes away. Kinda stinks

Sent from my iPad3 using SatelliteGuys

Attachments

• image-2356960460.jpg
    image-2356960460.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Was watching a program on my sd tv with a Joey and all of a sudden I got the following error 890

I was on a hbo channel

Found out:
We had a hd tv attached to the Joey as well as an rf modulator to feed the sds we still have, if I turned on the hd tv or unplug the hdmi cable the message goes away. Kinda stinks

Sent from my iPad3 using SatelliteGuys

That has been a problem with the ViP receivers as well since before Hopper/Joey.

Looks like the premiere tag in the guide data is still hit or miss. Both HBO and Cinemax and usually Starz run premiere movies on Saturday night while HDNET Movies runs one on Wednesday night. With the Hopper, the guide description no longer shows this. The premiere tag is not missing entirely as there are some events that still show the tag. The events that are missing the tag on the Hopper still show the tag in the VIP receivers and with the guide on Dishonline.

By the way, the Weather Channel app is nearly useless on Joeys (yes even on S264.) Half of the time it says "Temporarily Unavailable" and the other half it loads up, then a big gray screen pops up saying "Data Unavailable, press OK to exit app" and it forces you out. On the Hoppers about 25% of the time it says "Temporarily Unavailable" as well, but the Hoppers are definitely more reliable than the Joeys with the app.

Same problem here. I sure miss my 24X7 cable tv "Weather Channel" with local weather info, radar and forcasts. My wife cussed me out for switching. Had I not found an app in our Panasonic TVs, which can be set up for multiple cities worldwide with all the weather info we need, my wife may have forced a switch back.

Oh, and the Blue remote button, while inside the app, still does not send you to the Weather Channel. It sends you back to the last channel you were watching.

C'est la vie

One bug that's pretty darn annoying, when you schedule a recording to fire off, when it goes to record, even if you are on the exact same channel, it will take up 2 tuners if you were already tuned in.

3HaloODST said:
One bug that's pretty darn annoying, when you schedule a recording to fire off, when it goes to record, even if you are on the exact same channel, it will take up 2 tuners if you were already tuned in.

That's not a bug, its doing like it should and grabbing a free tuner.

Sent from my DROIDX

That's not a bug, its doing like it should and grabbing a free tuner.

Sent from my DROIDX

Why does it have to "grab a free tuner" for something that's on the exact same channel (including both being on HD?) It certainly doesn't do that when you manually tell it to record the channel that you are on...

Last edited:
Why does it have to "grab a free tuner" for something that's on the exact same channel (including both being on HD?) It certainly doesn't do that when you manually tell it to record the channel that you are on...
It's a design decision an one I agree with. It's following the same logic they always have since the SD DVRs.

The viewer should own the tuner he's watching. A timer should not grab hold of it unless there is no other option (and then only with appropriate warnings).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts