Hopper S212 Feedback and Issues

3HaloODST said:
Why does it have to "grab a free tuner" for something that's on the exact same channel (including both being on HD?) It certainly doesn't do that when you manually tell it to record the channel that you are on...

This allows the user to change the channel without having to change tuners.

This allows the user to change the channel without having to change tuners.

I think that is easy enough though. Right now if you "hop" on to a tuner being used by someone else and then change channels it will seamlessly switch to a different tuner without any noticeable delay as long as you have one free. I think the problem comes in when someone pauses or rewinds. The person watching in the other room might not want their show paused. I'm not sure if the hopper is able to pause in one room and stay live in the other while using the same tuner.

I could be wrong but I just think most people wouldn't even notice that they switched tuners when they change the channel.

Hopper and Pandora

Yesterday afternoon, we were using the Pandora app on one of our Hoppers. When we were done listening (about 4 or so hours later) and wanted to watch TV, I exited out of it and went back to the list of apps. From there I pressed the menu button and then Live TV. Since PTAT was enabled, and it was after the start of prime time and I had two other recordings going (all three tuners occupied), I got the list of tuners and what they were doing.

At that point I hit the DVR button and selected a previously recorded show to watch. The show played fine, but there was an enlarged thumbnail image from a different show bouncing around the screen, like it was being used as a screen saver. Nothing I did got that image to go away. I tried selecting a PTAT show from earlier that evening. I tried waiting for the two timers to finish (there was 10 minutes left and nothing scheduled after them) so I could switch to live TV. Even then the image was still bouncing around the screen. The red reset switch was the only thing that worked.

New user here...

I recently upgraded to the Hopper/Joey system. I have one Hopper and 3 Joeys. The hopper is running 212, Joeys are running S264. Here are a few complaints of mine. If anyone can help me with fixing these, feel free to do so.

Two people reside in my own. Myself and an elderly relative. The elderly relative will watch the Western Channel (almost exclusively) on Joey #1 during the day then when he goes to bed, will watch Fox News on Joey #2 as he's falling asleep. An hour or two later, when it rolls over and sees it on, he'll turn it off. I'm the only one who uses the DVR to record various shows. My relative..he watches two channels almost exclusively, lol.

NOTE: Joey #3 is in a guest bedroom and probably will never be used.

My problems are...

1) I have the Hopper in my bedroom, which is the only tv I use. It is labeled as "Bedroom #2." For the last few days, when hitting the Red button on the remote, it shows I'm "Watching" two different shoes, thus taking up two different tuners. Not recording, but only watching. This is taking up two different tuners, of course. How can I fix this? I've even tried a hard reset (pressing and holding the red reset button on the Hopper) to no avail. It comes up on DISH101 then when I change the channel, it grabs another tuner.

2) If I'm watching a channel and several shows are being DVR'd, it will switch over Bedroom #1 (the bedroom of my relative) to one of the shows being DVR'd. Is there a way to never allow this tv to switch to another tuner? I understand there may be an message on the screen asking if they want to switch over, but my relative is generally asleep or trying to sleep and won't see this, BUT, as soon as it switched over to Monday Night RAW or some other show (other than the Fox News they're watching), he'll holler for me to come fix it. Major pain.

3) Every morning at 1am, my tv, Bedroom #2, will prompt me to go off and check for updates. Is there a way to change this to say 5am or so? Often times I'm not looking at the tv and don't see the notice and thus it'll shut off and then it'll take 2-3 minutes before coming back on.

Overall, I enjoy the ability to DVR multiple shows at a time and the PTAT is pretty awesome, but there are so many glitches they should have fixed before releasing it.

Thanks for any input....

I think that is easy enough though. Right now if you "hop" on to a tuner being used by someone else and then change channels it will seamlessly switch to a different tuner without any noticeable delay as long as you have one free. I think the problem comes in when someone pauses or rewinds. The person watching in the other room might not want their show paused. I'm not sure if the hopper is able to pause in one room and stay live in the other while using the same tuner.

I could be wrong but I just think most people wouldn't even notice that they switched tuners when they change the channel.

Agreed. The Hopper does indeed pause in both rooms when a Joey is sharing that tuner. But when a recording is set for the exact same channel that one is already viewing, then the recording should just join in on that tuner. If the person watching live wants to switch channels, they can and it will use another tuner. That makes a lot more sense than just using 2 tuners for the same channel. Also, I'm pretty sure if it's recording, the trick play controls are separate on the receivers. Only when on live TV or using the live tv buffer are they shared (if they're sharing the tuner.)

I am having problem with sling adapter no matter how many time i reset it still doesn't work.
The red light on sling adapter doesn't turn on either. It was working perfectly with 722 all i have done is change to hopper.
In system info it shows my sling adapter status as invalid.
Any suggestion would be really appreciated.

Thanks

I did but it seems its dead now.. I did try to plugin on my windows pc and i can see it detects as unknown hardware in device manager tho.

Besides the issue of not having the 96 timers I was promised…I am seeing issues with timers created for TLC. For example…my "Record series timer" for the show On The Fly (Thursdays 9pm ET) is set for new episodes only. A 2nd new show starts at 9:30pm ET but is not set to record. So I had to create another timer. I looked ahead in the guide & next weeks new episodes are not set to record. This is also happening for Cake Boss on Monday's at 9pm ET. Is anyone else seeing similar issues? Is anyone able to set the full 96 timers Dish told me I would have available when I paid the $100 for this thing?

Painfully slow in the DVR menu at times, almost impossible to execute actions to set search terms and seek and record. I don't know if it coincides with PTAT recording because that's when I'm using it.

Painfully slow in the DVR menu at times, almost impossible to execute actions to set search terms and seek and record. I don't know if it coincides with PTAT recording because that's when I'm using it.

No I have seen this and I never use PTAT.

Besides the issue of not having the 96 timers I was promised…I am seeing issues with timers created for TLC. For example…my "Record series timer" for the show On The Fly (Thursdays 9pm ET) is set for new episodes only. A 2nd new show starts at 9:30pm ET but is not set to record. So I had to create another timer. I looked ahead in the guide & next weeks new episodes are not set to record. This is also happening for Cake Boss on Monday's at 9pm ET. Is anyone else seeing similar issues? Is anyone able to set the full 96 timers Dish told me I would have available when I paid the $100 for this thing?

The Hoppers operate in exactly the same way as the previous ViP series in regards to limits on how many timers (96) AS WELL as how many EVENTS (daily schedule, 576) can be queued up at a time. If you set up a bunch of timers with lots of events in them, you will fill up the 576-event limit before reaching 96 timers. Events include those that are listed but skipped. The solution is to refrain from creating lots of "new and reruns" as well as "seek and record" timers so that you do not fill up the event queue. One piece of functionality missing from the Hopper compared to the ViP series is a counter that tells you how many events are in use. It would be great if they could put it back because otherwise there's no way to tell when you're up against the event queue limit. I have also noticed that when up against that limit the Hopper will start to act strange (such as forgetting what to record and sometimes even recording the wrong show or at the wrong time, one time it recorded some random channel for 8 hours straight.) The ViP series (at least my 722Ks) did not have that issue.

Also, when you set up a timer, such as a "new episodes" timer, if it is skipping over the new shows, they will still be in the event queue except marked as "skipped." All you have to do is restore the skipped event(s) instead of creating more timers.

The Hoppers operate in exactly the same way as the previous ViP series in regards to limits on how many timers (96) AS WELL as how many EVENTS (daily schedule, 576) can be queued up at a time. If you set up a bunch of timers with lots of events in them, you will fill up the 576-event limit before reaching 96 timers. Events include those that are listed but skipped. The solution is to refrain from creating lots of "new and reruns" as well as "seek and record" timers so that you do not fill up the event queue. One piece of functionality missing from the Hopper compared to the ViP series is a counter that tells you how many events are in use. It would be great if they could put it back because otherwise there's no way to tell when you're up against the event queue limit. I have also noticed that when up against that limit the Hopper will start to act strange (such as forgetting what to record and sometimes even recording the wrong show or at the wrong time, one time it recorded some random channel for 8 hours straight.) The ViP series (at least my 722Ks) did not have that issue.

Also, when you set up a timer, such as a "new episodes" timer, if it is skipping over the new shows, they will still be in the event queue except marked as "skipped." All you have to do is restore the skipped event(s) instead of creating more timers.

All my timers are set as New Episodes only. No new and reruns or seek and record timers.

The new shows that are being skipped are not showing up as skipped events. Skipped events are shown in the guide with the 'X''s timer symbol. My new events are not showing that symbol nor do they appear in the event queue.

New Episodes can also fill up the queue as it is essentially bringing up all of the events for the show and skipping the events that aren't labeled as new.

As for the new episodes not showing up at all in the queue, no idea why that is. Probably to do with the crummy Tribune guide. It's just barely good enough for anything.

All my timers are set as New Episodes only. No new and reruns or seek and record timers.

The new shows that are being skipped are not showing up as skipped events. Skipped events are shown in the guide with the 'X''s timer symbol. My new events are not showing that symbol nor do they appear in the event queue.

I have this problem too, BUT am noticing this:
I have Pawn Stars set up as "new only". Of course, HIST is rerunning a ton of these lately. I noticed that the new eps coming up on Monday were not being recorded (or skipped either - just nothing). I starting looking and all of the reruns leading up to to it were showing skipped up until the reruns at 2pm on Monday, which were not flagged as anything, skipped or other-wise (they are rerunning non-stop from 7am to 8pm on Monday). Every day, as more skipped reruns are dropped from the scheduled list, more of the upcoming reruns that were not previously flagged as being skipped and now showing skipped. I figure that by this weekend, it will actually show the "new" eps as being set to record. Right now ALL the reruns up until the new eps are flagged as skipped.

So either I have hit the 576 max events and it is adding new events in every day as it is dropping old ones, OR there is a max events PER specific event (ie it will only set times for "X" number of Pawn Stars) and as old ones drop out, new ones come in. I don't know, but I am leaning towards that latter as I can still set up timers (that do show up) for lots of other shows.
Anyway, I do think the max events limit needs to be upped! :)

Another issue I am running into is if I I watch an already recorded program (or one that is in process of recording) and I finish while all 3 timers are in use, I cannot delete the program I just watched. It still shows up in the dvr list with the green "playing" arrow and I cannot delete it until the next day. I can pick which tuner to watch live and I can watch other dvr'd shows, but that initial show will not show "stopped" nor can I get rid of it. In this situation, when picking the tuner to "tune" into, I've also had it skip some programs that were scheduled to record coming up shortly. When I look at the daily schedule list later, it will show the skipped program as "skipped by user in such and such room". I definitely didn't manually skip as typically I will watch live TV for a minute and then watch another dvr'd show and it is skipping sometime during the watching of this 2nd dvr'd show. Very frustrating.

Sorry for the ramble... Stayed up too late last night playing Texas Hold 'Em on the Hopper!

I can confirm that I was able to set up 95 timers (might have been 96, but definitely 95) on my hopper this morning. Granted, the majority of those timers are one time timers for movies from the HBO/Cinemax free preview, so I'm not anywhere near the event limit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts