Hopper S213 Feedback and Issues

I am experiencing this same issue; Joey's randomly disconnect from Hoppers and go into a search mode. Sometime a message comes up saying that it is searching for a connection to the Hopper's name; other times it displays the Hopper R__ & S__ numbers. This seems to have started with this latest software push. Funny thing is that the Joey can be working fine for hours and then typically between 10pm and midnight (not every night) it loses connection in middle of DVR playback.

I have powered off (via plug pull) both Hoppers and all Joeys. I only have one Hopper connected to the Internet and have tightened the connections to the most troublesome Joeys. MOCA strength is strong. System includes 2 Hoppers, 6 Joeys connected through a Duo Node. Joeys are fed off of 3-way splitters connected to the two client ports on the Duo Node.

Has anyone had luck fixing this problem or am I stuck waiting for a software fix?

I'm having the same issue. I made sure only 1 device was connected to the internet but that hasn't helped. My daughter just texted me this morning saying she can turn on the Joey and a channel comes on but she can't change channels, access the guide, or access the DVR. The Joey is mounted behind the TV so t's not like I can have her unplug it. Is there a way to cycle the power from the remote? If not, I may have to put in an outlet I can turn off and on remotely so I can easily cycle power to the Joey. For now she is using a different TV.

Rinker97 said:
I'm having the same issue. I made sure only 1 device was connected to the internet but that hasn't helped. My daughter just texted me this morning saying she can turn on the Joey and a channel comes on but she can't change channels, access the guide, or access the DVR. The Joey is mounted behind the TV so t's not like I can have her unplug it. Is there a way to cycle the power from the remote? If not, I may have to put in an outlet I can turn off and on remotely so I can easily cycle power to the Joey. For now she is using a different TV.

Resetting system with the red button on the hopper fixes my Joey issues.

Last night one Hopper had AutoHop enabled on all elegible PTAT shows; the other had no AutoHop enabled for any show.

One of my Hoppers loses local channels from custom favs lists. Through trial and error I've found a sweet spot where channels are not dropped if I exclude channel 39 and keep the list at 152 channels. Today I found that the list has grown to 153 channels but has also dropped channel 29. Darn!

For what ever reason, my H/Js have been behaving. For a week, they were constantly beeing rebooted. Now they are once again rock solid. Even when they were acting up I never once thought about getting rid of them. I love this system!!!

For what ever reason, my H/Js have been behaving. For a week, they were constantly beeing rebooted. Now they are once again rock solid. Even when they were acting up I never once thought about getting rid of them. I love this system!!!

Same here except for their problems with seeing each other occasionally after the nightly reboot. As far a freezes, there were a lot right after S213 but none since.

Not sure if this is solely because of S213 since I just got my Hopper and Joeys (1H/2J)...but I can't seem to access my "Rentals" on the Joeys. I downloaded some episodes of Entourage off HBO, and I can play them directly on the Hopper. But the Joeys won't even populate the "Rentals" folder. The progress bar just keeps spinning. I have ethernet only on the Hopper, and bridging is on (I have had no issues with linking, so no reason to turn it off...yet). Any suggestions??

syphix said:
Not sure if this is solely because of S213 since I just got my Hopper and Joeys (1H/2J)...but I can't seem to access my "Rentals" on the Joeys. I downloaded some episodes of Entourage off HBO, and I can play them directly on the Hopper. But the Joeys won't even populate the "Rentals" folder. The progress bar just keeps spinning. I have ethernet only on the Hopper, and bridging is on (I have had no issues with linking, so no reason to turn it off...yet). Any suggestions??
Rebooting the Hopper fixed this.

Had Dish TV Hopper and 1 Joey installed a week ago and working well. Installer was knowledgeable and thorough, but was about to throw the Joey through the window after he couldn't get it to communicate with the Hopper and took about three hours total for the install. Replaced it from another new one in his truck and it's been working great. No real issues (occasional "lost" internet connection when accessing On Demand, but usually comes back after re-trying to view the selections.) Loving the huge space, Primetime Anytime and Autohop. Still getting use to the tiny, side-by-side buttons for volume, but the other parts of the remote and on-screen interface are very intuitive and easy. Picture quality seems better than previous provider, Comcast. Glad I made the switch back (was Dish customer until about 4 years ago.) Overall, very happy with the service and technology. (One other negative--have to go to three different websites to manage my account: Bundle website, Mydish and dishonline...can't they try to consolidate if you're a bundle customer?)

All I can say, is that the new 213 update has totally ruined my hopper experience. I now suffer random freezes and lockups. 1303 errors constantly searching for hopper to link to. I have to unplug everything. Turn on 1 hopper, wait for it to boot completely, then turn on one joey and let it start up and link, then the second joey, then the second hopper, then the third joey, and finally the last joey. It takes for ever. I have come to the point where I've called direct tv and have looked into switching and they offered a $200 american express card to offset the ETF's on dish. Time to head over to the direct tv forums and see what the sentiments are over there.

All I can say, is that the new 213 update has totally ruined my hopper experience. I now suffer random freezes and lockups. 1303 errors constantly searching for hopper to link to. I have to unplug everything. Turn on 1 hopper, wait for it to boot completely, then turn on one joey and let it start up and link, then the second joey, then the second hopper, then the third joey, and finally the last joey. It takes for ever.
are you following all the new networking changes in this thread? and all the troubleshooting advice in this thread regarding the specific problems you're having?

most of these problems have been taken care of using the tips covered in this topic.

are you following all the new networking changes in this thread? and all the troubleshooting advice in this thread regarding the specific problems you're having?

most of these problems have been taken care of using the tips covered in this topic.

Yes, I started at the beginning of the thread and have gone through every post until I got to the end. Removed ethernet completely, unhooked slings from both hoppers. Have even gone so far as to isolate hopper 1 from hopper2 using isolators and still having issues.

I have now done the complete reboot sequence. Have one ethernet hooked to the first hopper and removed isolators letting network see both hopers and all 4 joeys. Will see what happens tomorrow and if no good, then Will be switching to direct next week.

Yes, I started at the beginning of the thread and have gone through every post until I got to the end. Removed ethernet completely, unhooked slings from both hoppers. Have even gone so far as to isolate hopper 1 from hopper2 using isolators and still having issues.

I have now done the complete reboot sequence. Have one ethernet hooked to the first hopper and removed isolators letting network see both hopers and all 4 joeys. Will see what happens tomorrow and if no good, then Will be switching to direct next week.

what about the trick that involved disabling bridging in the software?

did you resolve all your wiring issues in the previous topic? http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-zone/286373-2-hopper-4-joey-setup-need-2.html

I would also message DIRT and see if they have any other tips. Maybe even have a good tech come out and check through the whole system. For all we know it's a bad node or some other hardwire/wiring issue.

Last edited:
Yes, I started at the beginning of the thread and have gone through every post until I got to the end. Removed ethernet completely, unhooked slings from both hoppers. Have even gone so far as to isolate hopper 1 from hopper2 using isolators and still having issues. I have now done the complete reboot sequence. Have one ethernet hooked to the first hopper and removed isolators letting network see both hopers and all 4 joeys. Will see what happens tomorrow and if no good, then Will be switching to direct next week.

If you decide to go with D* make sure that you only get HR34* or HR24* DVRs. I was with them for 4 years and their HR20-23 series DVRs are notoriously slow. Their transmitted bit rates are also higher then E* so their show capacity is also lower than with E* for the same size disk. Their EHDs also require a Sata interface and only work on 1 receiver.

what about the trick that involved disabling bridging in the software?

did you resolve all your wiring issues in the previous topic? http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-zone/286373-2-hopper-4-joey-setup-need-2.html

I would also message DIRT and see if they have any other tips. Maybe even have a good tech come out and check through the whole system. For all we know it's a bad node or some other hardwire/wiring issue.

Yep, got that worked out and everything was working great on 212 except for the sharing between hoppers.

Disabled bridging as well. It really starts messing up around prime time, so I even disabled the prime time anywhere feature.

Interesting to note, it was running fine in the first couple of days of 213, and seems like the longer it is up and running the worse it has gotten.

Once I reset everything, it runs fine for half a day, then around prime time it starts going downhill.

I'll put a call in today and see when I can get a tech out to look at the setup.

I'm very brand loyal as I have found all systems have glitches and very few things would cause me to switch (guess that's why I've been with att wireless for 13 years, and dish for 6 (switched from cable when newwave bought out charter in our area)

I would like to stay with dish, but if I keep having to switch over to the roku at night when the heaviest tv viewing occurs (during the day usually only one tv is running, at night 3-4) then its not worth it.

Thanks for the encouragement and listening to me rant.

I don't know if this is an issue of S213 since I've only ever had S213...but a series timer of mine for Phineas and Ferb, set to only keep 5 episodes, has 13 in its folder. Why? Am I doing it wrong?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts