This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Hopper Sw not reliable

odbrv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 21, 2004
Lubbock, Tx
All of a sudden my two HWS stopped seeing each other. My 2 Joeys were now linked to one HWS. I got advanced technical support and followed their repair steps to no avail. They set up a tech visit. After the call I tried some of my own fixes. I enabled then disabled bridging. I pulled connections to my router. I don't know which of these were the cure but the HWS now see each other and the Joeys can be linked to the correct HWS. About an hour later one HWS stopped having audio on all DVR and EHD recordings. A reboot fixed this. With previous optical audio failures, 6 hours to format a new EHD, and the inability to get HD PTAT for 3 months after they became available in my DMA, the HWS is now the buggiest receiver I have had with Dish and I had the previous bug champion the 921. It is amazing how much they charge in fees for this poor performance.

have you considered that, perhaps, you have a hardware issue? If it were a software issue, many, many more folks would have the same symptoms....

Just thought of another issue. Not always but often enough to be irritating the HWS will reboot when I disconnect from an EHD.

Don't forget the caller ID not working reliably, EHD transfers not working reliably, and the receiver going off line at dishanywhere.com much more often requiring a router re-boot at minimum.

Just thought of another issue. Not always but often enough to be irritating the HWS will reboot when I disconnect from an EHD.
I found it very likely to reboot if you pull the USB and less likely, maybe 5%, if you pull the power while inactive.
If you are powering by USB, I guess that falls in the very likely camp.
-Ken

An intermittent satellite or network connection will cause all kinds of weird problems. Make sure those are rock solid.

An intermittent satellite or network connection will cause all kinds of weird problems. Make sure those are rock solid.

Not to interrupt this thread, I'm beginning to think this might be my problem. The HWS or Joey upstairs 15 feet away from my G-Rated wireless Router, has never had issues.

My HWS downstairs is Hourly/Daily having issues with a stable connection to Home Network, TV has solid reception . Joey loosing connection to this HWS not so good and to view recordings from upstairs HWS (Gray Drop-down) dissappears. I eventually do get a connection (MoCa signal is all green ?) . But have to enable bridging ..re-enable bridging...reset network..constantly.

Do you have any suggestions on how to make satellite / network connection "rock solid" ???

I do have Wireless FIOS Router, as mentioned before G-Rated, should I move up to a N-Rated ? Or should I look into direct connection to the downstairs HWS ??

Thanks
Steve

"...my G-Rated wireless Router..."

Was that cheaper than an X-rated one?

My HWS were having similar issues - not seeing each other, audio gone from playback, wrong program showing when watching between hoppers - all kinds of crazy stuff. None of the usual fixes seemed to help. Then I remembered that I had turned CEC back on one tv about the time things were going haywire. Turned off CEC & everything is back to normal. Not saying that it caused the issue, but it seems to be working fine since I switched it off.

Only have two of the original Hoppers plus 2 Joeys, but ever since the November update things would go crazy similar to what you describe if both Hoppers were connected to the ethernet and bridging was enabled. Unplugging the second Hopper from the ethernet helped a lot.

Dave

Only one Hopper should be connected to the internet and it should have bridging enabled. The other Hopper and the Joeys will receive the internet connection from the Hooper connected to the internet.

My Hoppers w Sling will not allow me to enable bridging. No matter how many times I tried and hit Save, the Hoppers default to "Disabled". I don't have any issues with my equipment. Bottom line is Bridging set to disabled does not matter in my case. I just messed with it for the heck of it.

Last edited:
I was not able to see both HWSs on Dish Anywhere when they were bridged. I now have one hardwired to the router and the second via wireless as recommended by Dish advanced Tech Support. I can now see both on Dish anywhere. However, I did loose integration between the 2 HWS one time. I still get a reboot when I try to shut down and I say OK to disconnect of an EHD. I hope the next update fixes this problem.

I am having similar problems here with two Hoppers and no Joeys. You lost me about "CEC". What is that? Thanks

Read the "sticky" at top of forum re: HDMI-CEC, for explanation. Was implemented with last update. No more issues since I turned it off on all boxes, must have been interfering with something.