Hopper tuners

kpip99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
If I have a hopper and I'm using PTAT and recording 2 sat channels all at the same time can I be watching another channel that isn't bring recorded ? Or simpler if in recording 3 sat channels at once not during prime time or with PTAT disabled can I be watching a 4th sat channel ?

If I have a hopper and I'm using PTAT and recording 2 sat channels all at the same time can I be watching another channel that isn't bring recorded ? Or simpler if in recording 3 sat channels at once not during prime time or with PTAT disabled can I be watching a 4th sat channel ?
Look at it this way, every tuner that is recording, is a tuner that can not be watched. So, three tuners recording, no additional tuner to watch UNLESS, you get an OTA module which adds a tuner.

Thanks. Thats what i thought. How many tuners did the previous dvr to the hopper have ?

Hopper can record/watch 3 SAT channels at once (up to 6 including PTAT) and 1 OTA.

Previous DVR did 2 SAT at once plus 2 OTA.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

There are only 3 satellite tuners that can be used. So if all 3 are recording then you can not watch anything live. If you were to hook up an OTA module you could watch a local channel or if one of the shows recording was a local channel it would free up a tuner.

Sounds to me like nothing beats a hopper or better yet 2 of them. What draws me to the hopper is the size of the hard drive and the ability to hook up an ext hard drive which you can do with direct but direct doesnt have a hard drive as big as hopper. What I don't like about hopper is no locals in HD where I live but not too big of a deal since I can get OTA module. Uverse is good which is what I have now you can record 4 at once but you can't hook up an ext hard drive. And the dvr only holds 65 hours of HD which fills up quick.

I am getting my hoppers/Joeys tomorrow afternoon so I do not have direct experience with the Hopper yet, but unless they changed things, you can watch a channel while it is recording.

I am not sure how the PTAT scenario effects possible watching of on channel out of the TP stream that is being recorded.

I'll have to experiment with that tomorrow night.

You can also add the OTA tuner to the Hopper and garner one more tuner for a total of 3 satellite and 1 OTA simultaneous recordings/watchings.

Yep. All channels being recorded can also be viewed live.

WOW! Halo, 4 Hoppers and 1 Joey, why not just go all in with 5 Hoppers?:D:D

12 sat tuners not considering PTAT!

Can all the Hoppers see each others programming?

Not yet but the pressure is on now cause of the prices going up after the 22nd. So I need to just do it.

You've never used a local retailer right Jim ? I'm gonna have to to get my 2 hopper 0 Joey setup. I've already talked to 21st century sattellite here in LBK and they are ready when i am.

This is the same retailer I had at my house last summer doing my install and I panicked and call the while thing off about 15 minutes after he got started and told me I wouldn't have locals in HD He was actually on the roof taking down my old dishes from when I had dish several years ago. He was cool about it though.

WOW! Halo, 4 Hoppers and 1 Joey, why not just go all in with 5 Hoppers?:D:D

12 sat tuners not considering PTAT!

Can all the Hoppers see each others programming?

Lol, would have to buy a third multiswitch to support a fifth Hopper. Plus Dish doesn't allow 5 Hoppers on the same account.

Yup they can see each others' programming.

Yes all the time, lol. We were always having conflicts.

Sounds to me like nothing beats a hopper or better yet 2 of them. What draws me to the hopper is the size of the hard drive and the ability to hook up an ext hard drive which you can do with direct but direct doesnt have a hard drive as big as hopper. What I don't like about hopper is no locals in HD where I live but not too big of a deal since I can get OTA module. Uverse is good which is what I have now you can record 4 at once but you can't hook up an ext hard drive. And the dvr only holds 65 hours of HD which fills up quick.

Well, except the DirecTV Genie which has five tuners. The Hopper may have more storage space but I'd rather have five tuners with less space than two tuners (plus primetime) and more space. I've had times where I've needed more than two tuners but I've never filled up my Genie storage.

Actually it's three tuners, six channels with PTAT. Plus two Hoppers would have twice as many tuners.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)