Hopper tuners

Actually it's three tuners, six channels with PTAT. Plus two Hoppers would have twice as many tuners.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Gotta love that Dish Network logic. Yes, you can record six channels but four of those are restricted to ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox. The Genie can record ANY five channels. If you want to record, for example, History Channel, A&E, and ESPN all at the same time, you're screwed with one Hopper.

Gotta love that Dish Network logic. Yes, you can record six channels but four of those are restricted to ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox. The Genie can record ANY five channels. If you want to record, for example, History Channel, A&E, and ESPN all at the same time, you're screwed with one Hopper.

That's why you get two Hoppers, genius.

Chaddux, can you get 2 genies giving you 10 tuners and both genies can see each others recordings ?

Thanks halo. I honestly did not know the answer but that solidifies my decision to go with dish and 2 hoppers.

If you want to record, for example, History Channel, A&E, and ESPN all at the same time, you're screwed with one Hopper.

Actually, he's even less genius than that. He mentions 3 sat channels and says you're screwed. Wrong. You can record those 3 sat channels just fine with one Hopper.

Actually, he's even less genius than that. He mentions 3 sat channels and says you're screwed. Wrong. You can record those 3 sat channels just fine with one Hopper.

Hahah damn I didn't even notice that. I was trolled!

Well basically it all boils down to your needs. The main factors are price and programming. Which provider has the channels you want for the price you are willing to pay? Then, it's the equipment.

I've had Dish for many years with the exception of having U-verse for 7 months. I've always been pretty happy with Dish, other than their disputes, price hikes and generally awful phone support.

Well more and more providers are having disputes so that's pretty well beyond my control. The price hikes, while they suck, most of the time Dish is just responding to everyone else's price hikes, so can't do anything about that other than switching every two years which to me isn't worth it. DIRT took care of the phone support issue (at least for those of us that know about them.)

While the Hopper may be a tad anemic with the tuner count, it makes it up with faster speed, more hard drive space, better interface, and other things like PTAT, AutoHop, Sling and better EHD support. It's just overall better technology. I personally like having multiple Hoppers for redundancy, and the ability to keep separate timers/recording lists. That way there's no fights about hard drive space and tuners.

Well basically it all boils down to your needs. The main factors are price and programming. Which provider has the channels you want for the price you are willing to pay? Then, it's the equipment.

I've had Dish for many years with the exception of having U-verse for 7 months. I've always been pretty happy with Dish, other than their disputes, price hikes and generally awful phone support.

Well more and more providers are having disputes so that's pretty well beyond my control. The price hikes, while they suck, most of the time Dish is just responding to everyone else's price hikes, so can't do anything about that other than switching every two years which to me isn't worth it. DIRT took care of the phone support issue (at least for those of us that know about them.)

While the Hopper may be a tad anemic with the tuner count, it makes it up with faster speed, more hard drive space, better interface, and other things like PTAT, AutoHop, Sling and better EHD support. It's just overall better technology. I personally like having multiple Hoppers for redundancy, and the ability to keep separate timers/recording lists. That way there's no fights about hard drive space and tuners.

The only thing with Dish I don't like is the initial cost for customers that want three or more DVRs. We should not have to purchase the third or more DVRs. Also I wish they had switches that can handle everything. For three or more Hoppers you need two nodes, two switches, etc. Direct has them Slim switches that can do it all.

:deadhorse:
People have beat the 3 tuners to death since the Hopper came out. 2 Hoppers 2 OTA more tuners and storage than I will ever need. As you said all depends on your needs and what you want to spend. All I can say is I love the system and the future looks even better.:D

The only thing with Dish I don't like is the initial cost for customers that want three or more DVRs. We should not have to purchase the third or more DVRs. Also I wish they had switches that can handle everything. For three or more Hoppers you need two nodes, two switches, etc. Direct has them Slim switches that can do it all.

Agreed. Also the 1-Joey-per-Hopper thing can be irritating to new customers.

Agreed. Also the 1-Joey-per-Hopper thing can be irritating to new customers.

Is that even an issue anymore? I haven't heard it happen to many people. I guess I never worry about it since we just install the customer with whatever they need.

Not to mention you can actually own 2 Hoppers with Sling for less than one Genie. Direct wanted to charge me $300 for a Genie when my contract was up. That would be for a lease only too. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm disgusted with you guys...letting facts get in the way of a good rant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts