Hopper Update FAIL

bkushner

bkushner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 2, 2005
Audubon, NJ
Received an email about updating my Hopper before the mandatory push at the end of the month. Got the app hit the update and just got home 4 hours later and the unit is BRICKED. All I get is Hopper Starting up screen...I've powered down a few time all to no avail. Anyone else having issues?

TG2

TG2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 7, 2011
Viginia
My Hopper w/Sling updated without bricking but the rest of the house was still a mess.

After forcing the update on the other DVR 2 days later, some things got better, the joey had to be manually updated too.

So far all three "work" but in most cases there's noticeable lag, and some other complaints for changes .. but none of them bricked.

bkushner

bkushner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 2, 2005
Audubon, NJ
I just solved the bricking problem...I unplugged the external drive and it started right up. How to I update the Joey? I assume on the Joey?

Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
The Joey will grab the update from the Hopper when it feels like it. :) (The Joey software is stored on the Hopper and is downloaded from it to the Joeys)

Reactions: charlesrshell
Dudleydog73

Dudleydog73

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
Raleigh, NC
One other piece of advice is to unplug any joey Bluetooth adapters until you are all updated to the CUI as that will cause issues as well similar to what you experienced with your EHD.

M

MitchDeerfield

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 1, 2016
Florida
I didn't know that you could avoid a Hopper update. Are they optional? How do you skip an update?

Dudleydog73

Dudleydog73

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I didn't know that you could avoid a Hopper update. Are they optional? How do you skip an update?
Don't think of these emails as avoidance. Think of it as doing the mandatory upgrade on your own schedule and timeframe as an option,

Dudleydog73

Dudleydog73

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Who gets the update emails? I have never received one.
They are rolling out the upgrade to batches of receivers in waves so they don't get slammed all at once with support calls. Your receiver will be targeted eventually with its own drop dead date. Once your receiver receives the app you can decide to upgrade on your own terms or wait for that drop dead date to roll around.

V

vinicio barnuevo

Jun 17, 2017
new youk
I took the update on 2 hoppers with sling everything works but I lost all hd channels once I did a check switch. The signal on sat 129 is there but once I choose any hd channels I get a message hd signal lost tuning to sd .Did anyone else is experiencing this problem

Jim5506

Jim5506

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Lubbock, Texas
When both of my H2s got the CUI , it turned all the SD channels I had locked out back on, so I had to go back through the locked and hidden events and reset everything.