Keeping your DVR hard drive

Chris58

Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
Denver, CO
Recenlty I upgraded from two 722K DVR's to the Hopper 3 w/Sling. The technician left the two DVR's with me so I can transfer the recordings to my new Hopper 3. My questions is can I just pull the hard drives out and return the DVR units back to Dish Network without suffering any penalties? After returning the units, how long before they start testing each unit to distribute as refurbished units? I would keep the SIM cards.

No. They will charge you. The programs on those HDDs will not be readable on Hoppers anyway.

I suspect, but do not know, that they do a cursory inspection when received. Missing HDDs mean they will be light and tip Dish off immediately.

Full testing is whenever they get a round tuit. ;)

No SIM card. Those cards will do you no good.

Recenlty I upgraded from two 722K DVR's to the Hopper 3 w/Sling. The technician left the two DVR's with me so I can transfer the recordings to my new Hopper 3. My questions is can I just pull the hard drives out and return the DVR units back to Dish Network without suffering any penalties? After returning the units, how long before they start testing each unit to distribute as refurbished units? I would keep the SIM cards.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question. Are you asking how long you can get away with stealing two hard drives?

Reactions: Foxbat and Chris58
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question. Are you asking how long you can get away with stealing two hard drives?

No, I just want to remove one of the internal HD's that doesn't have any recordings on it, connect it to a USB to SATA, and copy the recording from the 2nd 722K that has recordings on the HD before transfering it to the Hopper 3. The two HD's are all ready formatted to the Linux version that Dish Network runs so I wouldn't have to have a completely empty EHD. I'll put the drives back into the DVR units before shipping.

No, I just want to remove one of the internal HD's that doesn't have any recordings on it, connect it to a USB to SATA, and copy the recording from the 2nd 722K that has recordings on the HD before transfering it to the Hopper 3. The two HD's are all ready formatted to the Linux version that Dish Network runs so I wouldn't have to have a completely empty EHD. I'll put the drives back into the DVR units before shipping.

Why wouldn't you just transfer recordings to an external HDD like it's already supported instead of taking apart a receiver that you don't own?

Reactions: Foxbat and TheKrell
No. They will charge you. The programs on those HDDs will not be readable on Hoppers anyway.

I suspect, but do not know, that they do a cursory inspection when received. Missing HDDs mean they will be light and tip Dish off immediately.

Full testing is whenever they get a round tuit. ;)

No SIM card. Those cards will do you no good.

Thank you for the reply! Why do you say the programs (Recordings) from the 722K won't be able to be transfer to the Hopper 3?

Why wouldn't you just transfer recordings to an external HDD like it's already supported instead of taking apart a receiver that you don't own?

Out of the 6 (1TB) EHD's I have, none of them are completely empty. I know as soon as I plug in one of my EHD's to the 722K DVR it will reformat it and I'll lose what data is currently left on the EHD's. It's easier for me to remove 4 screws and one "Void warranty if missing" sticker that can be easily removed and reapplied with a sharpe knife and some rubbing alcohol. I can't imagine this damaging the unit in anyway. :)

Out of the 6 (1TB) EHD's I have, none of them are completely empty. I know as soon as I plug in one of my EHD's to the 722K DVR it will reformat it and I'll lose what data is currently left on the EHD's. It's easier for me to remove 4 screws and one "Void warranty if missing" sticker that can be easily removed and reapplied with a sharpe knife and some rubbing alcohol. I can't imagine this damaging the unit in anyway. :)

Sounds like you've already made your mind up so I don't see why you'd even ask. As long as you're ok with any consequences then go right ahead, I'm curious if it works.

Reactions: Chris58 and bspei
Thank you for the reply! Why do you say the programs (Recordings) from the 722K won't be able to be transfer to the Hopper 3?

The recordings can transfer to an EHD but the drive will not be directly readable. See TheKrell's post.

What should a internal drive of a hopper be formatted as ? I installed a new hard drive into a hws and I formatted it and the hopper does not recognize it .

What should a internal drive of a hopper be formatted as ? I installed a new hard drive into a hws and I formatted it and the hopper does not recognize it .

Correct. Firmware on these receivers have certain hdd model numbers hard coded, so any ol' disk will not be accepted.

Reactions: dishrich
I installed a exact replacement. Same model , same size ,series. And it still won't find it.

The internal drive of a 722 cannot be read as an external drive on even another 722 much less a Hopper.

They will be reformatted and you lose everything.

If you have copied your programs to External drives on your 722, they should be readable on any Hopper of other 722/622/610 ON YOUR ACCOUNT.

That's the ONLY way to transfer programs from Dish receiver to Dish receiver.