Hopper updates?

jerryez

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Pensacola,FL
Why is it that I get Samsung phone updates or Microsoft windows updates and never have a problem, but when Dish issues updates there are various side problems incurred because of the update?

It's called "job security". Fix one thing, break something else. Lather, rinse, repeat.....
Yeah, but the question is why don't the Samsung and Microsoft employees do the same thing? Or maybe they do, but it is just that the things they break are not as noticeable to the average user of their products. ;)

Why is it that I get Samsung phone updates or Microsoft windows updates and never have a problem, but when Dish issues updates there are various side problems incurred because of the update?

Well, clearly Dish is not applying the same level of resources to testing the updates. That said, you have been lucky. Microsoft has released some Windows 10 updates that have bricked PCs, and a one that forced me to completely rebuild the W10 for one laptop, losing all the settings and setup on it. Apple pushed an update to both of our iPhone 6's that made them pretty much unusable (would no longer fast charge at all, and would only charge on a few slow chargers).

Microsoft has issued many updates that caused problems. As a controls engineer for Nestle we had to disable Microsoft updates because numerous times their updates caused issues.
Also Apple’s IPhone updates always seem to have issues. Several updates were so bad that several websites would tell customers to not do the update.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: DWS44 and TheKrell
Microsoft has issued many updates that caused problems.

No kidding. I have a 32-bit W7 computer here that I'm typing on right now. An update that came down the pike a year or two ago literally bricks it. I see the bootloader, and thereafter a black screen forever. :mad: I have had to restore from a working backup on 3 or 4 occasions before I gave up and turned them all off. :mad:

Reactions: DWS44 and joegr
I know some members here have fairly intricate setups, but most of the issues we’ve seen recently are not ones limited to power users. You would think that some fairly simple testing would have caught these issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, clearly Dish is not applying the same level of resources to testing the updates. That said, you have been lucky. Microsoft has released some Windows 10 updates that have bricked PCs, and a one that forced me to completely rebuild the W10 for one laptop, losing all the settings and setup on it. Apple pushed an update to both of our iPhone 6's that made them pretty much unusable (would no longer fast charge at all, and would only charge on a few slow chargers).
iPhone 6 doesn’t have fast charge. Fast charge was introduced with iphone 8.

iPhone 6 doesn’t have fast charge. Fast charge was introduced with iphone 8.

Perhaps I used the wrong terms. I guess that now fast charge is defined as over 10 watts (2A@5V). Way back when (yes, I'm kind of old), fast charge to me was 5 watts (1A@5V) and normal was the original USB spec of 2.5 watts (0.5A@5V). So, my iPhone 6's were working fine with the 10 W + chargers (though only a little faster than the 5W rate, I think about 8 watts). After that last update, neither my iphone or my wife's would even charge at all from the fast chargers. (Both updated on two different days, and failed on two different days.) They wouldn't even work from the 5W original cube chargers that the phones came with. I had to find some really old and cheap aftermarket 3W chargers to get them to charge at all. There was some class action suite against Apple about this and the "peak battery power shutdown" software that they added. I think I was due $20 or so, but I didn't bother with it. Instead, I rewarded Apple by going out and purchasing two new iPhone 8's.

Ever think that your wife's phone may be going TU? Try to drain it all the way down then refresh the battery by charging it back up. You are the only one I've heard with this. Apple introduced a battery extension feature somewhere in iOS 13 updates.

If you keep charging a LI battery to 100% it's been proven it will degrade the life of the battery. So they charge to about 98% capacity and as the battery does degrade they ramp up the charge. So it's a battery saver feature.

Ever think that your wife's phone may be going TU? Try to drain it all the way down then refresh the battery by charging it back up. You are the only one I've heard with this. Apple introduced a battery extension feature somewhere in iOS 13 updates.

If you keep charging a LI battery to 100% it's been proven it will degrade the life of the battery. So they charge to about 98% capacity and as the battery does degrade they ramp up the charge. So it's a battery saver feature.

I replaced both phones some time (over a year?) ago. Hers did have a failing battery, but till the update it was charging. (We did also do the discharge/recharge cycles to reset the battery charge gauge.) Mine had a nearly new battery (installed by Apple) and was fine till that last update. Both were over four years old, and I guess average lifespan is closer to two years. Still, they were doing all we needed. I think there was a fair amount posted at the time about the update(s) causing warnings about not allowing an unapproved charger. That would be fair enough (maybe), but in my case it was triggering on genuine Apple chargers and cables too. I even changed out the lightning port on mine, and it made no difference.

I guess this is probably far enough off topic on this thread, but I do appreciate the suggestions.

Reactions: pattykay