Hopper upgrade...Joeys losing connection

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jtaylor42

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Western WI
I had a Hopper, Super Joey and 2 Joeys installed last Tuesday and initially the tech has issues getting the SJ and joeys staying linked, they would link for about 30 seconds to a minute then lose it. After some investigation I had the coax going through a surge suppressor and we bypassed it and everything stabilized and seemed to work fine, we watched for about 10 minutes with no link loss. Apparently we didn't watch long enough, now periodically they lose link and search for the Hopper, it happens randomly after 15-20 minutes of watching and only lasts briefly then link returns. When it happens it can happen 2-3 times within 10 minutes and then be fine. I found in network setup where to turn on MOCA signal level meter and turned it on for the SJ and Joeys and the level doesn't drop off before they lose link, unless it's a complete loss and the meter doesn't register it fast enough. The SJ and Joeys are all on the same level of the house so I can see the all the TVs at once and have had them all on at the same time and they don't always lose link at the same time, sometimes only one will lose it and other times 1 will go, then come back and another will lose it and come back. The loss never seems to last longer than about 30 seconds or so.

I have RG6 quad shield run throughout the house, all run back to a central location where the tech put the node and switch. The run between the node and the Hopper is about 20-30 feet. Cable was installed about 10 years ago and isn't marked for a Hz rating. Upgraded from a 922 and 622 that ran on same cable with no issues.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Try running your own short coax directly from the node to a Joey using a newer peice of coax which you know the rating on.

You could also try disabling bridging to see if that helps.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I can try that, from what I've seen on other posts it seems like the cable from the node to the Hopper is where the higher rated coax is recommended, but there seems to be mixed views on that too. Where is bridging enabled or disabled?

In the broadband section of the menu. What about the cable from the node to hopper? Is there a wall plate on that line? If so, make sure the center of the barrel in the wall plate is blue. Instead of running a dummy line to the joey, I'd do it to the hopper first..

Bridging is and was disabled. The tech did replace the barrel connector in the wall plate. Will try temp cable (that'll make the wife happy : ) ). Thanks.

I have RG6 quad shield run throughout the house, all run back to a central location where the tech put the node and switch. The run between the node and the Hopper is about 20-30 feet. Cable was installed about 10 years ago and isn't marked for a Hz rating. Upgraded from a 922 and 622 that ran on same cable with no issues.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

I'm willing to bet 100% the issue is in the cable running from the Hopper to the node. The Tech shouldn't have used it unless it said 3Ghz right on it or was able to verify it by looking it up and there are many quad shielded brands that were not 3Ghz around 10years ago. A 922 and 622 will run on anything 2150Mhz and up just FYI. So here is what I would do... to avoid getting the tech in trouble wait 13 days then call in and have a service call set back up..don't do this before a full 13 days is up just start at Wed the day after and count to 13 days. Yeah he should have been paying attention but why cost the guy the pay for the rest of the job and likely a pay decrease down the road for a good month if not more. You can always get Dish to give you a credit of the time already anyway which is what most do but either way its the cable. You need 3Ghz cable run from the hopper to the node or you will have the exact same issues you are describing and will continue till that cable is replaced.

The way is of course after you do a temp 3Ghz temp line so you are good to go without fighting it till then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts