Hopper upgrade

jrchip01

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
Virginia
To: D.I.R.T member:

I have been a Dish customer since about 2005. I currently have a 622 on its last legs (3 or 4 daily spontaneous reboots) and 2 211's.
I am interested in upgrading to a Hopper and 2 Joeys (possibly a Sling). What are my options/costs vs. current configuration? I currently have
America's Everything Pack, Blockbuster@Home, DVR service, 2 HD Solo Receivers, and the Protection Plan.
Please PM me at your convenience.

Thank you.

Chip Scavone

To: D.I.R.T member:

I have been a Dish customer since about 2005. I currently have a 622 on its last legs (3 or 4 daily spontaneous reboots) and 2 211's.
I am interested in upgrading to a Hopper and 2 Joeys (possibly a Sling). What are my options/costs vs. current configuration? I currently have
America's Everything Pack, Blockbuster@Home, DVR service, 2 HD Solo Receivers, and the Protection Plan.
Please PM me at your convenience.

Thank you.

Chip Scavone

If you have 4 tuners currently then you may want to consider going with 2 Hoppers. Depending on how many TVs or people you have watching a single Hopper may not cut it.

Chip, thanks for the thread! I am in about the same position except I am at the end of my first 2 year contract. I'm sending a PM your way Thomas, but I had to make this post first to unlock that feature.

Why will Dish not allow me to upgrade to a standalone Hopper receiver ,i.e.., no Joey units?

Here is the trick.....upgrade to a Hopper and Joey, when the tech comes out to install tell em to only.install the Hopper. If both need to be activated to close the work order, have the tech "downgrade" your system to 1 TV deactivating the Joey. Now you have a Hopper and no Joey.

I need help. I purchased a hopper with sling on eBay. I'm upgrading my 922. I don't have or want a joey. I installed it myself I got to the authorize receiver screen and called dish and they said the activation didn't go through. I want to discontinue the 922 and activate the hopper. I also didn't use a node being that it as a stand alone. What am I doing wrong? thanks in advance.

timshady337 said:
I need help. I purchased a hopper with sling on eBay. I'm upgrading my 922. I don't have or want a joey. I installed it myself I got to the authorize receiver screen and called dish and they said the activation didn't go through. I want to discontinue the 922 and activate the hopper. I also didn't use a node being that it as a stand alone. What am I doing wrong? thanks in advance.

You must use a node.

Sent from my DROIDX

Without a node your Hopper isn't going to be much more than a 922....it wont get that 3rd tuner.

And can't figure out why it didn't go thru, except for the fact that your account wasn't marked for a Hopper, maybe?

Just a guess, but it is common for Dish to have more requirements with a new system, but then relax those requirements as time goes by. IMHO, I think Dish wants people to take Joey's so they can get back the R&D and other costs that are still outstanding in the early launch period. Once they get a lot of the money back, the economics would allow for a Hopper only install. I would not be surprised if by the beginning of next year, Dish may allow subscribers to get only a Hopper. Just a guessing.

Thanks for the advice. My 922 is having problems. It shuts down after about 15 minutes even with a heatsink on the cpu and a fan blowing on the unit.I ordered a duo node. I'm tired of swapping the 922. If it's not the hard drive it's the freezing/shutdowns. Thanks again for taking the time to help.

Don't forget to dump your DVR'd programs onto an EHD. The Hopper will be able to play them.

Thanks for the advice. My 922 is having problems. It shuts down after about 15 minutes even with a heatsink on the cpu and a fan blowing on the unit.I ordered a duo node. I'm tired of swapping the 922. If it's not the hard drive it's the freezing/shutdowns. Thanks again for taking the time to help.

For one Hopper you only need a Solo Node, not a Duo Node. The Duo Node is for two Hopper installs.

Thanks for all the help. My duo node came in Friday. I hooked everything up and got it activated finally. Everything is working fine. I plan on making a custom exhaust fan cutting a hole in the top. It's so slim I don't see any other way. I know I didn't need a duo node but I wanted to future proof the install. I'm once again a happy hopper camper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)