Hopper using two tuners but watching the same channel (weird)

skokie

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
calif
So tonight I had 2 recordings going and when I tried to go to another channel the hopper gave me the list of what was being recorded etc telling me I can join one of those feeds. Well 2 were in recording status and the 3rd which was a duplicate of the 2nd had no status at all. Once the show was over it all went away. It seems like the hopper is pulling one tuner to record it and another to watch.

I called tech support and they did not have any idea on what to do about it as it was the first time they had heard about it. Later in the night I was watching another show and I checked to see if anyone else was watching anything and sure enough there was the show I was watching listed twice both showing from the hopper.

Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks

That's happening right now on my box. There are usually 2 active tuners if you're not recording anything and they can both be tuned to the same channel. If you're watching ESPN, for example, and the other tuner was on Bloomberg, and you change from ESPN to Bloomberg both tuners will be on Bloomberg.

I like to be able to toggle between a recording and a live channel. I can do it by looking at the TV services (red button) and changing to the tuner I don't want to watch live. I then start to watch a recording. Using the Swap button then switches between the live show and the recorded show.

Thanks for the info. Is this normal then? It does not seem so to me since if this happens and someone else wants to watch something while 2 things are being recorded then one tuner should be open. I tested it from a Joey and it cant be over ridden. Its either watch what is being recorded or whats on the dvr.

Thanks for the info. Is this normal then? It does not seem so to me since if this happens and someone else wants to watch something while 2 things are being recorded then one tuner should be open. I tested it from a Joey and it cant be over ridden. Its either watch what is being recorded or whats on the dvr.
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question since I'm only just considering owning a hopper, but can I get a few more details?

Is PTAT activated?
Is this happening during PTAT recordings?
Was the show both tuners were tuned to any of your local HD network stations or a regular satellite station?

My trusty 722 started a similar behavior with a software update recently. If I'm watching CNBC and Made Money starts, the second tuner begins recording Made Money since I have a timer set for it even though there is already one tuner receiving that station. I swear in years past it would just record the channel you were watching and leave the other tuner alone.

PTAT is not enabled. The channel that showed one as being recorded and the other time in a blank status was fox news.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question since I'm only just considering owning a hopper, but can I get a few more details?

Is PTAT activated?
Is this happening during PTAT recordings?
Was the show both tuners were tuned to any of your local HD network stations or a regular satellite station?

My trusty 722 started a similar behavior with a software update recently. If I'm watching CNBC and Made Money starts, the second tuner begins recording Made Money since I have a timer set for it even though there is already one tuner receiving that station. I swear in years past it would just record the channel you were watching and leave the other tuner alone.

As I mentioned in another thread, I think that these boxes are going to trigger the need for some family courtesy with the tuners. If you are at the Hopper, before changing to a channel, why not take a quick red button look to see if it is already tuned. Select that tuner if it is. There are probably more cosiderations that will help keep things going smoothly, especially in a one Hopper household. Remember that with 722/622 some awareness of other's needs was required.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)