Hopper Voltage Issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Art601

Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
North Alabama
I'm being told by the installation technician that a Hopper will only operate at 118 to 122 volts. He says that anything out of this range will effect the signal or fry the Hopper. The tech says that all techs at Satellites Unlimited are taught this. Personally I think this bull but if these guys are instructed like this what can I do? Dish tech support says they have never heard of this and cannot or will not supply me with voltage requirements for the Hopper. Can anyone here supply info concerning this issue.

I really have no idea what the voltages are from the hopper, I've not put a meter on them yet or needed to. What is the problem to start with?

Since we have a thread on it. I'm curious what the voltage is at the receptacle where the hopper is plugged in.

Did you or the installer check what the actual voltage is?

My voltage is hovering around 123. Alabama Power says that this is perfectly normal. The first installation tech removed my first Hopper and after a day long squabble with dish and the installation company they came back and reinstalled a new Hopper. From all my research I think the 118 to 122 volt operating range is total BS, but fighting city hall is tough for an individual.

I have seen the 120 volt sticker, but the power company here or anywhere else supplies that exact voltage. My son who lives in another location says his voltage is consistently slightly above 123 volts.

They're jerking you around......

I wouldn't give it anymore thought.

If they continue to hassle you contact DIRT, they are located at the bottom of the forums page in red & are above/beyond dish employees.

Again what is the problem you are having? Instead of burning each tech that comes out by raising hell with Dish to create a trouble call (each time you do this it drops the techs pay grade down so you are costing the tech a ton of money!!)...how about explaining what problems you are having????

I'm being told by the installation technician that a Hopper will only operate at 118 to 122 volts. He says that anything out of this range will effect the signal or fry the Hopper. The tech says that all techs at Satellites Unlimited are taught this. Personally I think this bull but if these guys are instructed like this what can I do? Dish tech support says they have never heard of this and cannot or will not supply me with voltage requirements for the Hopper. Can anyone here supply info concerning this issue.

Picture me scratching my head.
First off most 110vac will net oh 112 to 115vac..On occasion one's meter may show a constant 118-120vac while not uncommon, is not to be an expectation either.
I'd say the guy is full of horse feathers.

Again what is the problem you are having? Instead of burning each tech that comes out by raising hell with Dish to create a trouble call (each time you do this it drops the techs pay grade down so you are costing the tech a ton of money!!)...how about explaining what problems you are having????
?q
They took my first Hopper saying that it wouldn't work because the voltage in my house was 123. Yes I raised a stink about that and will continue to do so until I get some concrete answers.

?q
They took my first Hopper saying that it wouldn't work because the voltage in my house was 123. Yes I raised a stink about that and will continue to do so until I get some concrete answers.

When the Hopper was hooked up, did it work? Why did the tech even feel the need to check the voltage on your electrical lines? I'm not a tech, but I can pretty much say that techs aren't looking for reasons to NOT finish an install, they want to finish it, and get out of there to the next job. Never heard of a tech checking electrical voltage, unless something wasn't working, or he suspected a serious problem.

I'd suggest contacting a DIRT team member, giving them your account number and PIN number, and let them check the notes on the account, to see what is happening, so they can find a resolution for you.

In my area I have seen voltages vary form 109 to 129 volts, depending on location. most any electric device will operate fine within this range.

Acceptable range for north american devices is 120v +/- 10%, period.

108-132.

100% correct, anyone telling you otherwise, doesn't know what he is talking about! If you are going to be concerned about line voltage, it is should be the low end voltage (brownout) never the high end voltage. Most quality Switching Power Supplies are designed to fully function down to 100-105 VAC.

To a lot of peoples defense, I used to not have that knowledge either. When I moved in this neighborhood there were not a lot of houses, and in the winter (everyone has gas heaters) Id see voltages around 128-129. Kinda worried me. I had Al Power out and they explained to me the 10% deal and what they shoot for. Now when I buy APC gear, it either acts as a transformer and trims/boosts voltages, or will just shut down power to my devices at 108/132.

I normally see 115-125.

100% correct, anyone telling you otherwise, doesn't know what he is talking about! If you are going to be concerned about line voltage, it is should be the low end voltage (brownout) never the high end voltage. Most quality Switching Power Supplies are designed to fully function down to 100-105 VAC.

Wrong on the first statement. NEC says 120v +/- 5%. Second statement is true though, as when voltage drops at any given wattage, current draw rises. More current equals more heat. This is particularly bad for appliances/devices with motors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts