Hopper vs adding 211k monthly fee analysis

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mike_H

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Twin Cities, MN
So I currently have a 722k, and a 622. There is a sling adapter and OTA on the 722k.

Adding a HDTV to the bedroom which is currently feed off the modulator on the 622 and would like to get HD in that room.

Currently I see 2 options.
Option #1 - 211k and add an EHD if I want DVR there.
Option #2 - Switch to Hopper. Get two hoppers and 1 joey.

Looking at the monthly costs
I currently have DVR Fee at 7 and a HD Duo Receiver at 17 giving me $24 in fees.
Add a 211k, I'll be adding $7 making a total of $31 in fees.
If I switch to hopper I should see a 12 DVR fee, 12 2nd Hopper Fee, and a 7 joey fee for a total of $31 in fees.

Seems like a wash. Am I Missing something or do I have that right? (and yes I'm ignoring one time acquisition costs that may be much higher for the hopper config)
Finding specifics has been a challenge.

Thanks.

You will have 6 tuners and of course PTAT and autohop with the hopper. You will also be able to share shows between rooms.

You will also have a 2 year commitment.

You will have 6 tuners and of course PTAT and autohop with the hopper. You will also be able to share shows between rooms.

You will also have a 2 year commitment.

Add OTA tuners to each hopper for two more tuners. I'd go with the hopper if I were upgrading. Had it since release and love it.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys

What is DISH going to charge you for installation of the dual node?

Like everyone, $0.00 for a two HOPPER install. Where is that notion coming from?

Last edited:
Over a months time I changed my mind no less than 12 times as far as upgrading to the hopper/joey.

I'm still hopper free at this point & the foreseeable future.

The gui on the hopper is very nice & fast. Ptat is something totally based upon an individuals viewing habits. Other than that imo there is nothing else dramatically different than the vips.

Over a months time I changed my mind no less than 12 times as far as upgrading to the hopper/joey.

The gui on the hopper is very nice & fast. Ptat is something totally based upon an individuals viewing habits. Other than that imo there is nothing else dramatically different than the vips.
That's fine if you love commercials on the networks, or you like to skip through them, and are a one HDTV household, and don't like simple recording options, and recordings with Icons, etc, etc. You're right. Not worth it.

Last edited:
That's fine if you love commercials on the networks, or you like to skip through them, and are a one HDTV household.

Am a 1 hdtv household & never record anything on the networks.

I'm certain I'm not the only 1. :D

In general, having been with dish for over 10 years, the 2 year commitment for a hopper isn't too hard to take. Yet I am currently leasing a property, and lease is up in September. So I may go with a 211 initially and then move up to hopper setup once I have a lock on where I'll be living. I'd hate to have a 2 year commitment and then move somewhere where I can't get LOS considering how stiff Dish has been based on some posts I've seen here.

Now when I talked this over with my significant other giving her the options, I mentioned the prime time anytime and how it works. The first thing she said was why would I possibly want that.

I did confirm, that adding a 211 or going from what I have to a 2h1j setup would net exactly the same cost (additional $7). Of course Dish won't sell me a 2h1j setup, but I figured I could take the work order for the 2h2j and just have the technician return one of the joeys.

PTAT is not really one of the top reasons to get a Hopper in my opinion. I rarely use it actually, although it is a sweet feature. Everything about the Hopper makes it awesome. From the GUI, to the amount of tuners, to having DVR everywhere, to the sling feature, to the compatibility with iPads, the Hopper is just enjoyable to use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)