Hopper vs direct tv

Precisely, the majority of the programs we watch are on when we aren't there to watch them anyway, so most of our TV viewing is from the DVR, which keeps the tuners free to continue to record other programs.

Why? You have the same situation now (having to choose between skipping and shutting someone off). The benefit now would be you can choose which tuner to use/shut off.

On a related note, will there be a hierarchy of which tuners to use when recording, similar to the Record Plus function of the dual-tuner ViPs? Or is there even a need for this now?

The saving grace to this is the Prime Time recording. There are night that all 4 networks are being recorded here at my house.. But It's still not enough. I record everything. I only watch live when it's a sporting event. And sometimes am recording two or three of those while watching another..

Why? You have the same situation now (having to choose between skipping and shutting someone off). The benefit now would be you can choose which tuner to use/shut off.

On a related note, will there be a hierarchy of which tuners to use when recording, similar to the Record Plus function of the dual-tuner ViPs? Or is there even a need for this now?

nope, on a secondary receiver its not affected
the joey should have its own tuner

It's affected if the tuner is being used on that secondary receiver. If not, then that is the same situation as having a free hopper tuner available to record from.

nope, on a secondary receiver its not affected
the joey should have its own tuner
Where the tuner "lives" is not relevant, the issue is do you have enough tuners. If three is not enough, the Dish answer is to swap a Joey for a Hopper.

no joey has a tuner only hopper and when prime time us in use you only have the option of 2 live shows or 2 other rec. Once prime time is over 3-4hr then you get your third tunner back.

Where the tuner "lives" is not relevant, the issue is do you have enough tuners. If three is not enough, the Dish answer is to swap a Joey for a Hopper.

What is relevant is the hopper will not talk to each other its a mrv system that will not mrv.
I know its coming and their polishing the software but why would I believe it will work when a software bug on the 722 that keeps it disconnected from the internet has went on for months and two updates later and no fix.
I wish they would see each other but they do not.

What is relevant is the hopper will not talk to each other its a mrv system that will not mrv.
I know its coming and their polishing the software but why would I believe it will work when a software bug on the 722 that keeps it disconnected from the internet has went on for months and two updates later and no fix.
I wish they would see each other but they do not.

And if the integration issue is a deal breaker, then you should definitely wait. I've thought about it for my situation, and either way it is an improvement over what I have currently.

I know I don't like D* MRV as it currently exists, that could likely change if RVU was out, but it isn't.

Bottom line for me I will likely go with Hopper as a relatively early adopter (I will wait for the first round of feedback). If D* comes out with what sounds like a firm and relatively soon ship date for the C31 I might delay the decision.

so a list of missed marks imho

1. lack of tuner in joey
2. lack of hoppers talking (coming later)
3. lack of integrating existing equipment
4. ptat - 3 tuner instead of 6

so a list of missed marks imho

1. lack of tuner in joey
2. lack of hoppers talking (coming later)
3. lack of integrating existing equipment
4. ptat - 3 tuner instead of 6

1. The Joey doesn't need a tuner. I pause live TV all the time and catch up during commercials, even on TV2. Only with H/J all will be in HD and I won't be aiming the UHF remote at that one spot on the wall to make it work.
2. Valid missed mark, coming by summer isn't SOON enough.
3. You can't put a front wheel drive transmission in a Crown Vic either... My old trusty 722k is on it's last leg, I'll be glad to be rid of it.
4. PTAT :confused:? 6 channels instead of 3. great concept for the way people watch TV these days

Another miss mark that you missed is OTA and sub channels not carried by Dish. I guess I'll be running these into the coax input of one TV until Dish gets it working (and only watching live:().

1. The Joey doesn't need a tuner. I pause live TV all the time and catch up during commercials, even on TV2. Only with H/J all will be in HD and I won't be aiming the UHF remote at that one spot on the wall to make it work.
2. Valid missed mark, coming by summer isn't SOON enough.
3. You can't put a front wheel drive transmission in a Crown Vic either... My old trusty 722k is on it's last leg, I'll be glad to be rid of it.
4. PTAT :confused:? 6 channels instead of 3. great concept for the way people watch TV these days

Another miss mark that you missed is OTA and sub channels not carried by Dish. I guess I'll be running these into the coax input of one TV until Dish gets it working (and only watching live:().

1. could cause conflicts if you need more then 1 tuner to record with hopper and joey being used. independent tuner would fix this
2. dish's version of soon or next summer could mean 2013 or 2014
3. if you can fit a 454 in a chevette you can put a fwd tranny in in a crown vic. it may not belong but with ingenuity anything is possible
4. only for those that watch network tv. for those that dont is 3 tuners (as i have said before)

i think dish has made a good step, but they still need to rethink some things
oh and i had forgetten about ota
i did prefer dishes built in method to the am21

1. could cause conflicts if you need more then 1 tuner to record with hopper and joey being used. independent tuner would fix this
2. dish's version of soon or next summer could mean 2013 or 2014
3. if you can fit a 454 in a chevette you can put a fwd tranny in in a crown vic. it may not belong but with ingenuity anything is possible
4. only for those that watch network tv. for those that dont is 3 tuners (as i have said before)

i think dish has made a good step, but they still need to rethink some things
oh and i had forgetten about ota
i did prefer dishes built in method to the am21

1) my point was without a hard drive to pause live TV, a tuner in a Joey is not as effective, I prefer Dish's solution, I'll just get 2 Hoppers(and 3 Joeys). If you want your client tuner get the D* hr34/hr24, you can't pause live TV though and it'll cost you a little more.
2) you're right it could way in the future, this summer is not that far away to wait and find out.
3) you're right, but they are different generations, sometimes you have to throw out the old and start with the new rather than limit the new. I don't own my equipment so I'll swap it out, no loss to me.
4) luckily my wife only watches network TV, which leaves 5 tuners on the 2 Hoppers for my sons and me.

im still confused as to why people say directv costs more
i dont notice it on my bill after the swap
ok, its $10 more, but i have an extra receiver and mrv, thats $10
had i stuck with 1 receiver it would have been cheaper

im still confused as to why people say directv costs more
i dont notice it on my bill after the swap
ok, its $10 more, but i have an extra receiver and mrv, thats $10
had i stuck with 1 receiver it would have been cheaper

They are usually referring to the programming costs. Hardware costs, before Hopper and Joey, have been less for folks with more than one receiver. You said after the swap so I assume you are also getting promo pricing from Direct.

They are usually referring to the programming costs. Hardware costs, before Hopper and Joey, have been less for folks with more than one receiver. You said after the swap so I assume you are also getting promo pricing from Direct.

nope, post promoprice is $10 diff
with promo it was about half of dish

Tampa8 said:
Until the Hopper is in the hands of knowledgeable people - namely posters, it's hard to compare. And it is possible it will actually have four tuners. (OTA) It appears the Joeys can do everything the hopper does, where the Direct set-up requires you to be recording the program to pause, etc... It also appears Direct TV allows their regular DVR in the system which would provide a backup receiver should the whole house unit fail. The Dish answer may be allowing a second Hopper, which would be integrated meaning all joeys could see both hoppers. Rumor is Dish will not at least at first, if ever, allow a mixed set-up. The direct whole house units do not integrate that way. Already mentioned is the recording of all networks on one tuner, in some households like mine that is a definite plus, some households it may not be.
Because Dish is apparently going to charge a $4 whole house fee, I'm betting the first hopper will not have a receiver fee, as is policy now. You will pay an account DVR fee and the $4 account whole house fee. Then each Joey will be $7, and possibly the second hopper will be $7. IF, that's IF I am correct that looks to be less than Direct TV, especially when the packages cost a little less also.

One last thing I always feel obligated to say, to me the actual content makes the most difference, and on that front nothing has changed much. For the most sports, and in HD (somewhere around 16 to 18) you need Direct TV. Dish has actually improved quite some on the sports front, still lags, but their strong point is non sports channels in HD and movies. If that is more important, Dish is the way to go.

The hopper is a great receiver. However, it does not have ota. This isn't a big deal to me but it is for some. You will be able to have 2 hoppers that will either be able to communicate giving you 4tb of space and record up to 9 shows at once. Or you can isolate the hoppers to keep them from communicating. The hopper is like a beefed up 922 only better.

The hopper is a great receiver. However, it does not have ota. This isn't a big deal to me but it is for some. You will be able to have 2 hoppers that will either be able to communicate giving you 4tb of space and record up to 9 shows at once. Or you can isolate the hoppers to keep them from communicating. The hopper is like a beefed up 922 only better.

9 shows at once?
its 6 unless you use ptat then its 12
then subtrat 1 for each joey watching tv