Hopper Wins In Court AGAIN!

Interestingly enough, when I enabled PTAT and fixed my timers, my stuff that was already recorded off locals OTA have a Kangaroo beside them. That doesnt seem right.
Yeah, it has been reported that OTA recordings of shows that are also part of PTAT could also be Autohopped. The kangaroo icon is the indicator that you can use Autohop on it.

Interestingly enough, when I enabled PTAT and fixed my timers, my stuff that was already recorded off locals OTA have a Kangaroo beside them. That doesnt seem right.

It's right. Autohop doesn't show up unless PTAT is enabled, but I think everyone is getting the "skip" data. If you want autohop, but don't want PTAT always enabled, just set PTAT for one low-conflict night and all your Big4 Primetime recordings will be autohop enabled no matter what night they are recorded on.

Yeah, it has been reported that OTA recordings of shows that are also part of PTAT could also be Autohopped. The kangaroo icon is the indicator that you can use Autohop on it.

I haven't seen that yet but I'll pay more attention to it.

Thats pretty cool, I thought OTA would not work.
This is also speculation, but when the 1am update is sent to the receivers, it simply must be matching some data, i.e. program name, air date and time, maybe episode #, etc. If it does that, it will get a match on satellite-delivered channels as well as OTA channels. It doesn't want to also include the channel # or else every market would then need it's own unique info.

I just tested it, worked fine. Under the Dome which was recorded on 7/22 OTA, has functioning Autohop ability. I may just keep my OTA timers and setup PTAT on both Hoppers to record only Saturday so it doesnt use any real tuner time.

For those who would like to talk about this ruling or even debate it, we welcome you to call in tonight and be part of Satellite Nation which will be airing live at 8PM on SatelliteGuys Radio. The toll free call in number to get on the air is 877-SATGUYS.

I have been saying this forever. In a truly competitive market, channel owners would be low-ball bidding transmission fees for the privilege of being put in a lower tier to get their channel in more homes and more potential ad revenue.

And I totally agree with you every time you say it.;)

Here is the Hopper Secret Sauce.

"To create the AutoHop functionality, Dish technicians in Cheyenne, Wyoming manually view Fox’s primetime programing each night and technologically mark the beginning and end of each commercial.
The program contentis not altered in any way.
The electronically marked files are then uplinked in Wyoming and eventually transmitted to subscribers in an “announcement” file that Dish makes available to subscribers after the show has aired.
Simultaneously with the uplink, three “beta Hoppers” record the Fox primetime block for transmissions in Kentucky,Pennsylvania, and Florida to test the marking announcement.These copies remain at the uplink facility and are used to make sure the commercials have been accurately marked and that no portion of the program has been cut off"

Scott - Doesn't this then mean that the Dish technicians in Cheyenne, Wyoming have to watch all of the OTA locals from all over the country to "technologically mark the beginning and end of each commercial"?? That's a lot of technicians...:p

Timing should be the same, regardless of market. It makes more sense what was suggested earlier, they go back in after its done, make the marks, and then it gets sent out to the boxes. Sitting there watching it live is ludicrous.

Scott - Doesn't this then mean that the Dish technicians in Cheyenne, Wyoming have to watch all of the OTA locals from all over the country to "technologically mark the beginning and end of each commercial"?? That's a lot of technicians...:p

No I think they mark it and kinda apply it as a generic skip marker for all the affiliates since during primetime the shows are the same on all the affiliates.

OTA broadcasters should be paying Dish and the rest to retransmit their content, not the other way around, since they benefit from increased potential viewership.
Auto-hop only works the day after the original broadcast, a time when the majority of dvr users would already be skipping the commercials through other methods.
PTAT enables increased viewership by recording shows a viewer might not otherwise watch or even know existed.
Most tv shows contain lots of product placement and tv broadcasters are, more and more, using overlays, crawls, and "bugs" for advertising during a show. This advertising cannot be avoided.

Tell me again how the broadcasters have a legitimate complaint....

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Thats what I said half the time AutoHop misses big chunks of commercials. I did better commercial skip by using the 30 second skip button on my remote. :D
I'm starting to wade "with my waders" through this typical knee-jerk, B* thread....but to the above Scott, Auto Hop has not missed big chunks while I have viewed, always perfectly seamless, as was with a CBS show we watched tonight. Maybe a DIF between WA and EA?

And, like when we are eating dinner, you're about to put that big juicy hamburger in your mouth, and a commercial comes on...what's it gonna be, auto hop, or drop the burger and skip?????

Last edited:
Why in the world would you object to that??? OTA autohop was a wonderful surprise for many of us.

I'm starting to wade "with my waders" through this typical knee-jerk, B* thread....but to the above Scott, Auto Hop has not missed big chunks while I have viewed, always perfectly seamless, as was with a CBS show we watched tonight. Maybe a DIF between WA and EA?
Nope done by local stations, for example my local ABC is always a few seconds behind the Springfield Ma station... dont know if they have a delay, or maybe older encoders but a few seconds off on locals is normal now a days.

Well, FTR, here it's been about three seconds going in and no more than two going out. Very livable.