Hopper Wins In Court AGAIN!

Yeah, it does! OTA is auto hopped as well.....

I noticed this last year when I first got my ota tuner and recorded some network shows on the tuner to test it. I thought it was a very cool feature. But these days I use my ota tuner for local news shows and for the sub channel programming that DISH doesn't carry. PTAT is for the regular network shows on satellite.

Is the precision of the cut better w/OTA, or worse? I should think that the satellite picture is significantly delayed compared to the OTA signal...
I would also think that the cut points are relative to the start of the program, thus any delay in transmission would be accounted for somewhat.

Lets face it, the auto hop is groundbreaking.
I'm wondering if it is on borrowed time.
If dish uses it for a bargaining chip will that
Mean they will turn it off?

My hope is that they can eventually negotiate
With the networks to keep it.
It really is an incredible feature.
I love that dish is winning these battles but
How long can they keep it up?

Here is the Hopper Secret Sauce.

"To create the AutoHop functionality, Dish technicians in Cheyenne, Wyoming manually view Fox’s primetime programing each night and technologically mark the beginning and end of each commercial.
The program contentis not altered in any way.
The electronically marked files are then uplinked in Wyoming and eventually transmitted to subscribers in an “announcement” file that Dish makes available to subscribers after the show has aired.
Simultaneously with the uplink, three “beta Hoppers” record the Fox primetime block for transmissions in Kentucky,Pennsylvania, and Florida to test the marking announcement.These copies remain at the uplink facility and are used to make sure the commercials have been accurately marked and that no portion of the program has been cut off"

I can think of another use for this technique and it might help DISHs rep as an employer. You could hire people to watch the 'Adult' programming and apply the marks so viewers can skip the non-boinking parts.

"To create the AutoHop functionality, Dish technicians in Cheyenne, Wyoming manually view Fox’s primetime programing each night and technologically mark the beginning and end of each commercial.
The electronically marked files are then uplinked in Wyoming and eventually transmitted to subscribers in an “announcement” file that Dish makes available to subscribers after the show has aired.
Simultaneously with the uplink, three “beta Hoppers” record the Fox primetime block for transmissions in Kentucky,Pennsylvania, and Florida to test the marking announcement.These copies remain at the uplink facility and are used to make sure the commercials have been accurately marked and that no portion of the program has been cut off"

I can think of another use for this technique and it might help DISHs rep as an employer. You could hire people to watch the 'Adult' programming and apply the marks so viewers can skip the non-boinking parts.

Excellent idea.

Lets face it, the auto hop is groundbreaking.
I'm wondering if it is on borrowed time.
If dish uses it for a bargaining chip will that
Mean they will turn it off?

My hope is that they can eventually negotiate
With the networks to keep it.
It really is an incredible feature.
I love that dish is winning these battles but
How long can they keep it up?
I would even go as far as saying the hopper is still be the best DVR out there without auto hop.

so basically you would only get 5 minutes out of a 30 minute recording :D

I would even go as far as saying the hopper is still be the best DVR out there without auto hop.

I don't have much experience with DirecTV but I wouldn't have to go too far to say it's the best DVR I've ever seen even without PTAT. All the features the Hopper has makes it amazing.

So what is your address, I'll mail you the copy of that swamp land brochure.

Here is my problem, and dont group me into not fighting Hollywood, Dish is spending all this time pissing them off, yet they lost AMC for an ext period, and I cant get ESPNU in HD. Shall I go on? Let's see how happy some people here are when they lose some locals over this, another reason why I have two OTA adapters. I'm tired of the fights, but hey, when you lose some locals, at least you will still auto hop (which only works on locals BTW).

If you notice, Im in the 250 plan and have all 4 premiums, so I dont mind paying, I just want my channels on the air. Screw autohop, where is my Disney/ESPN stuff?

Then you need to be with another provider, not Dish.

Frankly I see AutoHop as pointless and "dangerous" in the sense that it gives networks an excuse to go after time-shifting technology in general, not just AutoHop. It seems to me that money will be wasted on AutoHop regardless of the outcome. Not to mention, is Dish paying employees just to sit there and watch TV, placing markers to skip, every single day? Is it really worth all that just so that lazyasses don't have to hit SKIP FWD 7 or so times? The one time I tried AutoHop I didn't even like it because it took too long to start skipping. I was already grabbing my remote ready to skip before I remembered "Oh yeah, AutoHop is supposed to kick in any moment now."

Sony vs. Universal: Relax, time-shifting isn't going anywhere and is precedent ruling.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts