Hopper with 211 question

kresston

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 29, 2004
Home of the HOKIES!!
I am thinking of adding a 211 to my current two Hopper with Slings. It will have it's own dish so there will be no monkeying with the Hoppers setup. What I would like to know is, back when I had a 722 I paid the 40 dollars to enable the external hard drive. Will I need to pay this once again to enable the external DVR?

You apparently paid for the 722 in the early days of EHD comptability. That fee was dropped several years ago. But, still in effect for 211.

If the tag is still on your account, then no, you will not need it. Pm a mod, and they can check to see the account has the external enable tag active on the account.

It would still have the "enable EHD" tag, if active. There are a thousand variables that could change that. That's why the pm would be necessary.

It would still have the "enable EHD" tag, if active. There are a thousand variables that could change that. That's why the pm would be necessary.
NO, ehd on an x22 receiver is a sperate fee (now free) from the 211 series fee which is still $40.
So YES the OP would need to pay the fee.

Reactions: navychop and KAB
Remember that the EHD on the 211 makes the 211 a DVR. That's the reason for the $40 one time fee. The 722s are already DVRs and that fee went away. With the 211 I don't think the "enable EHD" works because it is enabling DVR....

Sorry if this is somewhat off topic but I believe the OPs ? has been answered and he would need to pay fee.
Currently I have a 722K and two 211Ks. In the summer I take one of the 211Ks up to our camper for the summer and use it on
weekends when we are there (no one is at home). I have been toying with a HWS & Super joey setup for home but I am worried
about being able to keep one of my 211Ks on the account. It probably would not be hooked up at home (or could it) as I believe a separate cable
must be run to 1000.4 dish (?). I currently have all three outputs of dish running to a DPP44. I know from reading that way back when
the Hopper was introduced that no VIP receivers were allowed but I think that has somewhat changed. Is it a given that you can just
call and add the 211K or keep it on the account if I was to do the above install??
Thanks, Gerry

You can add up to 2 purchased 211's on a hopper account. Leased will not be an option.

As for the tag, I understand what you guys are saying. The $40 fee a few years ago had two tags on the account, one that was "enable ehd" and one that was specific to turning into a dvr. If you paid the $40 and maintained the tag(both would load on the account 3 or 4 years ago), the enable tag remained on the dish system for account specific. Now if there was not a 211 on the account then, I could see it just auto removing when the fee for Dvr was eliminated, but if was active back then to current, it may still be on the internal system within Dish. Like I said before, there are many variables here, and all I was noting is that the possibility of it still having a single "enable ehd" tag item in dishs Internal system(I don't even think retailers have access to that one, or techs as neither would need it), it would be worth him contacting a DIrT member to verify. At that point he can decide to pay again, if he has to. But I get exactly what you guys are saying, and those are all variables that come into play.

Sorry if this is somewhat off topic but I believe the OPs ? has been answered and he would need to pay fee.
Currently I have a 722K and two 211Ks. In the summer I take one of the 211Ks up to our camper for the summer and use it on
weekends when we are there (no one is at home). I have been toying with a HWS & Super joey setup for home but I am worried
about being able to keep one of my 211Ks on the account. It probably would not be hooked up at home (or could it) as I believe a separate cable
must be run to 1000.4 dish (?). I currently have all three outputs of dish running to a DPP44. I know from reading that way back when
the Hopper was introduced that no VIP receivers were allowed but I think that has somewhat changed. Is it a given that you can just
call and add the 211K or keep it on the account if I was to do the above install??
Thanks, Gerry

You can add the 211s if they are purchased. I do that in my camper all the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)