Hopper with HDMI-to-DVI cable

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
Anyone done it? When the installer and I tried it, we just got a black screen. It was during the initial setup and he said it doesn't show anything for a while. Maybe we were just too impatient.

DVI does support HDCP, as I recall, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Works great to my old Sony hd tv that only has dvi. All channels work including hbo

Anyone done it? When the installer and I tried it, we just got a black screen. It was during the initial setup and he said it doesn't show anything for a while. Maybe we were just too impatient.

I have a 722 to an RCA with HDMI to dvi and it works will all channels I get (including HBO, Max, Starz, Sho and MultiSports. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work for you either. If checking the connections and that doesn't work, you may have a bad converter or HDMI cable though, that may be your problem. You could try exchanging the HDMI cable or change the Hopper to another tv to eliminate these as problems before running out for another adaptor.

I won't make any special trips as component works at the moment. Just curious if it's a known factor that it will not work. I will definitely try it again now!

There should be no reason that the HDMI-DVI cable should not work. HDMI is simply DVI-D plus an audio transport using a modified connector. I suppose that there is the (slim) chance that your TV is DVI-A-only though. DVI-A is pretty much VGA with a modified connector. Did you by any chance use the same cable with your older Dish receiver with any success?

It is very well possible that the factory firmware was just buggy. Wouldn't be the first bug that it had. The factory firmware barely has the capability to get the Hopper up and running, much less do anything remotely advanced. They really need to figure out a way to fix the initial firmware. It's a PITA. One of my TVs (HDMI) had the picture shifted to the right and a huge green bar on the side, until the factory firmware updated to the latest firmware (at the time.)

It is very well possible that the factory firmware was just buggy.
Makes sense because at that point it was running just the "bare" minimum software. On the other hand, it should have pretty good HDMI type support in order to connect to all the different TV types out there.

I want to at least see what the picture looks like with DVI vs component. It is an older TV that we can't afford to replace, nor do we NEED to -- it works ! But compared to how GREAT the picture looks off of the Joey on a newer 32" LCD, I want to tweak it as much as I can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)